• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus type code

Status
Not open for further replies.

gage75

New to this part of the forum but what do the various bus/coach type codes mean, ie B7RLE, B10, etc... if any one has a link that'll be cool

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
They are essentially just model names, with certain manufacturers - those you mention are from Volvo - choosing something which directly relates to a particular feature of the vehicle, wheras other builders choose simply a name, ie. Dennis Dart, Mercedes Citaro, etc.

Wikipedia is probably the best place to look, there should be entries for whichever models you are interested in and they may well state the basis of the names/codes. Bear in mind though that you're dealing with largely foreign manufacturers, so any meanings or abbreviations are unlikely to be in English.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Volvo's naming convention is pretty simple
B=Bus
7=7 Litre Engine
RLE = Rear Engine Low Entry Coach Chassis

Technically most Single Deck UK buses are mounted on coach chassis hence the large number of steps to the rear. LHD buses on the continent tend to be fully low floor right to the back with offset engine gubbins on the driver's side, meaning they have 3 or 4 pairs of doors a side, with a low floor at each one.

BestWestern

Established Member
That's quite interesting! Surely it's all in Swedish though?! Or are the model names not the same across the board; I always thought they were?!

So, B10M is 'mid' engine presumably?

And a shorter B9M has a smaller engine?

A newer B12M doesn't have two extra litres though surely?!

A 'D'10M (Citybus) is for...double decker?! Although it's just a B10M anyway I always thought?

A B10T is presumably for 'tri-axle' or similar?

starrymarkb

Established Member
Well Volvo did go from the B12B to the B9R for standard coaches a couple of years ago. The big Megabus/Parks Triaxles went from B12RT to B13RT and now B11RT. The engines still put out the same power but emmissions regs meant the engine size changed.

I don't know all the designations but off the top of my head
L (Standard Low Floor - ie Continental Configuration)
LA (Low Floor Articulated)
LE (Low Entry)
R (Rear Engine)
RT (Rear Engine TriAxle)
M (Mid Engine)

Older rear engine Volvos had a 'B' designation but I don't know what that stood for (ie B12B, B10BLE)

Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
B10M - Bus, 10 litre engine, Mid engine
B9M has been said, 9 litre engine

B12M is indeed 'bus', 12litre, mid engine.
B12B is 'bus', 12litre, engine at the back.

B10T/B12T were standard length triaxle versions of the B10M/B12M.

Completly off topic, but yes, Volvo coaches have seen a fair bit of change. The B12 was much loved as it has a nice wide torque band, and gave a nice smooth ride. It's replacement(s) - the B9R (too little torque, gets scared at the sight of hills) and B13R (heavier on the fuel), have been less loved.
It will be interesting to see how the B11R and B8R compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.