1. 125Group forum donation: see here!

Busiest service which hasn't changed in years

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by overthewater, 10 Jan 2019.

1. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

Rules are simple, how long has it been since the last service change on busy service: 6 years +

No23 in Irvine, last change was in May 2013. (every 15mins) Any other takers

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

I'm aware this is not exactly what your after but the route 1 in Aberdeen can be traced back to 1883 and full route from the 1888 service changes are still covered by the 1. Even back then it was allocated the number 1, coloured red and known as "The Bridges".

4. WM Bus

WM Bus Member

The Birmingham 11 Outer Circle (Busy High Demand Double Decker Service - Every 8 minutes) hasn't seen any service changes in years.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  5. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

Service registration has that as last changing on the 22nd of April 2018.

Last had a change on the 9th of July 2018.

6. WM Bus

WM Bus Member

Not a service change.
    It would have just been a minor alteration to the timetable - I believe at that time there were a few changes to where a few of the buses terminate in the evening, I.e - a small number of the buses terminating at Stockland Green in the evening rather than Perry Barr, as buses come of in the evening towards the night.
    Only changes it really has ever seen are minor alterations like that to the timetable and timetable changes to commence the start of school holidays, where the level of service is slightly reduced.

The route and frequency however have remained consistent for years.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  7. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

I thought the OP was more looking for the service that has went the longest without any change (regardless of how big). But fair enough.

8. overthewater

9. delt1c

delt1c Member

Route 24 in London

10. higthomas

higthomas Member

Its night service was halved in frequency a year or so ago.

11. higthomas

higthomas Member

The Stagecoach/Oxford Bus Company joint service 2(/2a/2b/2c/n2) hasn't changed since February 2012, which is quite impressive.

It's every 5 minutes during the day, with a crazy complicated timetable at the Kidlington end.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
  12. Mal

Mal Member

Sorry to be pedantic, but exactly how do you mean 'Service change'? Do you mean route, route number, timetable, terminal or frequency?

13. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Considering the example given was only 6 years and lots of routes have existed in the same form for much longer I would guess that the OP means the timetable.

14. Mal

Mal Member

It seems to be that most bus operators now reduce their timetables every July and August while the schools have their summer breaks, so this seems to be a bit of a non-question.
    I'm certain someone will correct me on this!

15. carlberry

carlberry Established Member

???
    A few big city operators change timetables on some services because the traffic flow is better however it's very few. Even of those that have changed it's not certain that they'd carry on as, whilst it's nice to get the running time back, it means people have to get used to a whole different set of times for six weeks which causes nearly as many complaints as the sitting around waiting time does.
    The only other reduction is school/college services however they're standard and are covered by the service being registered for that purpose.

16. delt1c

delt1c Member

Very Vauge post, if by unchanged , that means same entire route, no timetable change, no vehicle change, no operator change ? thgink the thread needs narrowing a bit and clarification made as to what changes are accepted

17. WM Bus

WM Bus Member

National Express certainly put changes in place on most services, at that time of year (not sure how many other operators do it, but I know some do change services, particularly at that time of year) - with less people using some routes/buses at peak times (with no school kids on board - you get them on normal service buses as well) and less traffic on the roads, etc. Some Normal service bus routes have extra journeys implanted into the timetable as well and these won't run either, which otherwise would during term time.

"Even of those that have changed it's not certain that they'd carry on as" - What do you mean by this? They carry on till the end of the school holiday period, people just have to get used to changes, as they do happen in my opinion, these paticular changes happen so the buses aren't waiting around due to excess running time every few stops. In Birmingham it doesn't cause many issues to be honest either - and because most routes are so frequent many don't even notice the difference.

People probably do complain about changes but you can't please everyone, I've never known these timetable ammendments not to occur, because someone complaigned, the bus will be deparding a minute or 2 earlier.

The reason they don't carry on after the summer period/school holiday period is as things generally revert back to normal.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
  18. route101

route101 Established Member

Few routes in Glasgow that never change , 5 and 61 . More in routes but not much has changed,

19. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

The 23 in Irvine had a change registered this year at VOSA

20. overthewater

What was the change? it never affect the timetable.

21. Red Onion

Red Onion Member

I might be wrong but was the tram route allocated the number 1 too?

22. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Member

Indeed it was, as i said in my original comment :P

23. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

24. overthewater

Its just weird. Timetable is still may 2013. I wonder whats going on.

25. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I've no idea, but it could be like the railways in having ' working' and ' public' timetables, with the latter staying the same but the former having been tweaked in some way.

26. Dai Corner

Dai Corner Established Member

27. Red Onion

Red Onion Member

The worst of it was, I read that and in three seconds forgot. I wonder why folk call me a muppet sometimes :oops::lol:

28. mlambeuk

mlambeuk Member

I would say for York.
    Nos.1 and 8 haven't had a significant change in at least 6 years.

29. Wolvercoter

Wolvercoter Member

The E & F in Exeter ran on the same timetable for about 9 years from 2006 I think. The G is not a busy service, but is on the same timetable since at least 2004.

30. brompton rail

brompton rail Member

My local route Doncaster - Armthorpe First SY 81/2 hasn’t changed in years. Route covered has remained for well over six years, and the basic daytime frequency is every ten minutes. Some slight changes in times or early buses (5 am) have occurred along with late afternoon reduction in frequency to allow extra running time to cater for traffic delays.