• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BusTimes.Org

wildcard

Are you sure you are using Bustimes as there is no 'journey preference' options and nor is there a 'nearest' option.
Good question - seems there are more than 1 IOS app with bustimes in the app name. The one I have been using for several years for TfL has a white single decker bus inside a white wristwatch on a red background. Appears as Bus Times on the phone screen and I pretty sure that's how I found it all those years ago . I would happily give it 5 stars . I now notice in app search the same icon is labelled London Live Bus Cou..... What I would like is something that reliably gives me Arriva Herts routes 500/508/724 plus Uno 602 . Red Eagle 354 and Red Rose 501 would be nice as well - ideally all in one app. The Uno app is quite good but Arriva's effort is dire - significantly worse than the earlier version. I really need something better than Arriva's. I have complained several times before when it failed to indicate an 8 ( old route ) last-bus-of-the-day no-show - at first I was given a voucher ( nice but of little use with ENCTS ) - subsequently their response has been "Tough - It didn't run" .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adtrainsam

Good question - seems there are more than 1 IOS app with bustimes in the app name. The one I have been using for several years for TfL has a white single decker bus inside a white wristwatch on a red background. I now notice in app search the same icon is labelled London Live Bus Cou..... What I would like is something that reliably gives me Arriva Herts routes 500/508/724 plus Uno 602 . Red Eagle 354 and Red Rose 501 would be nice as well - ideally all in one app.
Bustimes.org is a website and not available as an app.

All in service buses should appear on this map. You can also navigate to find timetables, fleet list/vehicle details etc.

Typhoon

Established Member
Good question - seems there are more than 1 IOS app with bustimes in the app name. The one I have been using for several years for TfL has a white single decker bus inside a white wristwatch on a red background. Appears as Bus Times on the phone screen and I pretty sure that's how I found it all those years ago . I would happily give it 5 stars . I now notice in app search the same icon is labelled London Live Bus Cou..... What I would like is something that reliably gives me Arriva Herts routes 500/508/724 plus Uno 602 . Red Eagle 354 and Red Rose 501 would be nice as well - ideally all in one app. The Uno app is quite good but Arriva's effort is dire - significantly worse than the earlier version. I really need something better than Arriva's. I have complained several times before when it failed to indicate an 8 ( old route ) last-bus-of-the-day no-show - at first I was given a voucher ( nice but of little use with ENCTS ) - subsequently their response has been "Tough - It didn't run" .
You want https://bustimes.org/

Hertfordshire is under South East

354, 602, 724 are all tracking. Is the 500 Aylesbury to Hemel - if so that is tracking (under Beds and Bucks). There appear to be two 508s. 501 isn't tracking - appears to be Sunday only.

PG

Established Member
I have complained several times before when it failed to indicate an 8 ( old route ) last-bus-of-the-day no-show - at first I was given a voucher ( nice but of little use with ENCTS ) - subsequently their response has been "Tough - It didn't run" .
I don't wish to derail (no pun intended!) the thread but I'd be tempted to use a proper licensed taxi, get a receipt and claim the cost back. If necessary escalate further e.g. council/MP/traffic commissioner.

danorak

The Uno app is quite good but Arriva's effort is dire - significantly worse than the earlier version. I really need something better than Arriva's. I have complained several times before when it failed to indicate an 8 ( old route ) last-bus-of-the-day no-show - at first I was given a voucher ( nice but of little use with ENCTS ) - subsequently their response has been "Tough - It didn't run" .
If you're unhappy with a response to a complaint made to a bus company, take it to Bus Users https://bususers.org/

Not enough people know about them, but Arriva will be signed up to abide by their decisions as a CPT member.

riceuten

If you're unhappy with a response to a complaint made to a bus company, take it to Bus Users https://bususers.org/

Not enough people know about them, but Arriva will be signed up to abide by their decisions as a CPT member.
To be fair to the OP, Bus Users Group have no real enforcement powers, and I am aware that in reality they are just a dispute resolution service. And of course almost all UK bus operators can cite a shortage of drivers, buses (or passengers!) for any issues raised

OptareLover

On Moderation
bustimes.org is definitely the most useful site for users who need to take the bus. There's lots of features for bus enthusiasts & non-enthusiasts!

APT618S

bustimes is wonderful. I wish there was a 'donate' option.
There used to be as I have donated in the past.
A Google search brings up the page below but I cannot see the link to it on the bustimes.org site, so unsure if it is still in use, all I can say is the donate page was a ko-fi site:

Statto

Established Member
The only thing with Bustimes.Org is that I wish there was a colour map available when tracking the buses. I often get lost using the current map on my mobile device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harold Hill

On Moderation
There used to be as I have donated in the past.
A Google search brings up the page below but I cannot see the link to it on the bustimes.org site, so unsure if it is still in use, all I can say is the donate page was a ko-fi site:
Done, thanks for the link

OptareLover

On Moderation
Something I've noticed with bustimes.org's tracking is the following:

Whenever a company like Stagecoach's buses are stopped for a while they'll constantly "track" over and over again making a rather mess of the website. Example.

But whenever some other companies like McGill's/Xplore Dundee won't constantly update their tracking status/location. To make this more clear, if an Xplore Dundee bus is stopped for 7 minutes in the City Centre. It'll say "7 minutes ago" in the last updated tab. But with Stagecoach, it'll just keep tracking/updating as usual.

Is it something to do with how Stagecoach's journeys are listed (example) with links clickable on a certain journey and when you click on it, it'll show the stop times and when it actually arrived? (For example, see the "Schedule" and "Actual" times at the side) and with Xplore Dundee's and lots of other companies, it won't. (Example)

Does anyone actually know why this is the case? :)

I hope this made sense to everyone, maybe I'm overthinking it. It could just be a different type of live updates the operators give when tracking.

Something else sort of on the same topic, Stagecoach's buses have the ability to track not in service, but I can't think of any other operators who do. I do know a few of the Irish companies do.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Whenever a company like Stagecoach's buses are stopped for a while they'll constantly "track" over and over again making a rather mess of the website. Example.

But whenever some other companies like McGill's/Xplore Dundee won't constantly update their tracking status/location. To make this more clear, if an Xplore Dundee bus is stopped for 7 minutes in the City Centre. It'll say "7 minutes ago" in the last updated tab. But with Stagecoach, it'll just keep tracking/updating as usual
Before I go any further, I'll state now that I have no knowledge of how often each operator's tracking system provides updates, but GPS (global positioning system) does have a tendency to drift.

If a vehicle is stationary for 10 minutes but provides location updates every 30 seconds, it may appear that it's in different places in spite of the fact that it hasn't actually moved.

Contains Nuts

Something I've noticed with bustimes.org's tracking is the following:

But whenever some other companies like McGill's/Xplore Dundee won't constantly update their tracking status/location. To make this more clear, if an Xplore Dundee bus is stopped for 7 minutes in the City Centre. It'll say "7 minutes ago" in the last updated tab. But with Stagecoach, it'll just keep tracking/updating as usual.

Is it something to do with how Stagecoach's journeys are listed (example) with links clickable on a certain journey and when you click on it, it'll show the stop times and when it actually arrived? (For example, see the "Schedule" and "Actual" times at the side) and with Xplore Dundee's and lots of other companies, it won't. (Example)

Does anyone actually know why this is the case? :)

I hope this made sense to everyone, maybe I'm overthinking it. It could just be a different type of live updates the operators give when tracking.

Something else sort of on the same topic, Stagecoach's buses have the ability to track not in service, but I can't think of any other operators who do. I do know a few of the Irish companies do.
McGills and Xplore Dundee both use Ticketer for vehicle tracking while Stagecoach use VIX ERG which behaves very differently, which explains the differences in data quality.

Ticketer doesn’t allow public tracking when buses are out of service, unless the company uses a special service number to enter into the ticket machine, suck as First Potteries who use a route named ‘DEAD_RUN’ which can be viewed through bustimes.org: for example https://bustimes.org/vehicles/fpot-66805 shows this as it is a training vehicle.

OptareLover

On Moderation
Something else: a lot of areas if not all of Stagecoach track for a wee bit in the depot. Other operators' buses' just stop tracking at the end of the shift.

I have heard that Stagecoach East Scotland has a system called "Green Road" (or something like that) so buses have to be started with a driver's bus company card, therefore, it automatically tracks in the depot and I guess some buses take forever to turn off when idle in the depot. Source? I was informed of something like that by a Perth depot manager when I was having a tour around their depot.

Presumably, something to do with that I'd imagine?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Ticketer doesn’t allow public tracking when buses are out of service, unless the company uses a special service number to enter into the ticket machine, suck as First Potteries who use a route named ‘DEAD_RUN’ which can be viewed through bustimes.org: for example https://bustimes.org/vehicles/fpot-66805 shows this as it is a training vehicle.

Interesting that this can be done, as for tracking the first bus of the day (which to many is a vital service for connections because there was no ability to travel earlier to create some buffer) it can be a fingernail biting experience. Does the bus exist? Will it pop up as expected?

M60lad

Does anybody know what happened with Bustimes on Saturday it seemed that quite a number of services around 15:00 seemed to have some weird tracking issues also it was showing vehicles that were operating a service that they weren't actually operating?

For example at least 2 London Buses were apparently tracking on 15:05 X43 Burnley-Manchester service being EP11 - LG71 DZT & 169 - YX61 ENL.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Does anybody know what happened with Bustimes on Saturday it seemed that quite a number of services around 15:00 seemed to have some weird tracking issues also it was showing vehicles that were operating a service that they weren't actually operating?

For example at least 2 London Buses were apparently tracking on 15:05 X43 Burnley-Manchester service being EP11 - LG71 DZT & 169 - YX61 ENL.
See here for the answer to that question:

OptareLover

On Moderation
I feel bad for the bustimes.org moderators sometimes honestly.

The website gets such vandalism sometimes. In bustimes.org vehicles edits, where registered members get to suggest changes to their website. Upvoted edits get approved, downvoted don't.

Back a few months ago, when I always used to check Bustimes' pending vehicle edits, there were always little kids coming onto the website and attempting to change the vehicles' details to unfunny swears/rude words, etc + false info. I don't know if it's calmed down a bit now (I don't really check it as often, so I don't really know!) but back then it was mental.

Does anyone know why bustimes.org was so targeted by trollers back then/possibly still is now?

RogerOut

There’s an app called UK Bus Checker. It used to be good but I can’t get on with it anymore.
I agree that the Bustimes.org site is quite good.

OptareLover

On Moderation
There's a new bustimes.org update where instead of marking a bus as "withdrawn", you mark it as "removed from fleet list" and it looks so messy in the pending edits page!

There's a new bustimes.org update where instead of marking a bus as "withdrawn", you mark it as "removed from fleet list" and it looks so messy in the pending edits page!
The functionality is still the same. Not sure why this needs to be mentioned here when it doesn’t affect the average user of bustimes.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Probably because the thread is called bustimes.org
Indeed. All aspects of bustimes.org including the more enthusiast related elements, even if it is a sideline to the majority.

Personally, sometimes, I felt the vehicle details section was some kind of turf war where person A would make an edit (eg to livery or allocation), a short while later person B would edit it back to the previous. Which is correct I wouldn't know.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Personally, sometimes, I felt the vehicle details section was some kind of turf war where person A would make an edit (eg to livery or allocation), a short while later person B would edit it back to the previous. Which is correct I wouldn't know.
That's the point of getting evidence (like a photo) and attaching it.
I've not seen it as a turf war much, although I quite rarely get buses anymore so I can't contribute (nor check it) as much.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
That's the point of getting evidence (like a photo) and attaching it.
I've not seen it as a turf war much, although I quite rarely get busses anymore so I can't contribute (nor check it) as much.
Yes, I just had a quick look at my local operator, and the first bus listed. Some edits have a source. Not quite Wikpedia but better than random 'I heard from a bloke whose brother cleans the buses that....'

· First Potteries

· 33826 - SN63 MYJ
5747 months, 3 weeks agolivery to
28107 months, 3 weeks agolivery to
Sat at the olive grove in the livery with its other counterparts which are currently in storage
57411 months, 4 weeks agooperator from FLEI to FPOT
source -
5741 year agooperator from FBRI to FLEI
Now in Leicester according to