• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a house; all advice welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Get a good idea of the area, what will your commute be like (including, if relevant, on different shifts - Sunday mornings for instance), how far to the nearest large supermarket etc. I know a few people who've moved house then realised that whilst the service was fine on a weekday daytime to get to the viewings, getting to work first thing in the morning has been a challenge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
I work in housing but there is not much I can add to any of this excellent advice. Speak to possible future neighbours. Ask them about everything, even daft stuff like water pressure, if you have kids or are going to have kids what are the local schools like, what is the social side like, too involved, not involved enough.

BantamMenace

Again, thanks for all the superb advice. A quick update on where i'm up to.

The estate agent has been useless so far, two emails and two phone calls requesting to view, both phone calls resulted in them "asking the seller for permission" but no reply/confirmation so far.

The good news is the property was reduced on Rightmove today so there is evidently either; a lack of interest, the desire for a quick sale or both.

I think i'll get the professionals in to remove the interior wall i'm eyeing up removing. I've also been looking around kitchen units and researching how to fit them. I think with the help of a mate I'll fit all the units and then get somebody in to measure and fit worktops and then an electrician to install a built in oven, microwave, hobs and white goods.

Do I get the professionals in to replace the kitchen flooring before or after i've fitted the units? Is it something I need to do inbetween removing the old and installing the new therefore adding to the timeframe I have to live without a kitchen?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Re flooring in the kitchen, if you're tiling you probably want to do it first (as that's relatively permanent) but if doing vinyl, laminate or similar you probably want the units in first as it's likely they will outlast the flooring and you won't waste money on covering the bits you don't see. Also laminate is a floating floor so doesn't benefit from units on top of it.

Absolutely get the professionals in (actual professionals, not a cheapo odd job man) for demolishing a wall. Get it wrong and your house could quite literally fall down. They are quite often load bearing if brick and may well have things like gas pipes running through them; only even think about attempting something like that yourself if it's plasterboard.

I do electrics myself but if you don't absolutely know what you are doing I agree with getting someone in, you don't want to burn your house down. Though white goods tend to just plug into a socket, so just get the sparky to put sockets (and the plumber[1] to fit water connection points and drainage) where you want them. There is no need to hard-wire white goods, though for appearance you might want something like a fused spur switch above the counter and a socket under it.

[1] I also do plumbing myself using push-fit BUT again if in any doubt get someone in as water can wreck an entire interior, and your insurance won't be interested if the cause was a DIY bodge job. Gas...no way would I touch that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Again, thanks for all the superb advice. A quick update on where i'm up to.

The estate agent has been useless so far, two emails and two phone calls requesting to view, both phone calls resulted in them "asking the seller for permission" but no reply/confirmation so far.

The good news is the property was reduced on Rightmove today so there is evidently either; a lack of interest, the desire for a quick sale or both.

I think i'll get the professionals in to remove the interior wall i'm eyeing up removing. I've also been looking around kitchen units and researching how to fit them. I think with the help of a mate I'll fit all the units and then get somebody in to measure and fit worktops and then an electrician to install a built in oven, microwave, hobs and white goods.

Do I get the professionals in to replace the kitchen flooring before or after i've fitted the units? Is it something I need to do inbetween removing the old and installing the new therefore adding to the timeframe I have to live without a kitchen?

it all depends on your skill level and confidence. I am very confident but have zero practical skills so am best left to demolitions. I will gut the inside of a house in no time but have no idea how to fix it up so always need skilled tradesmen.

Though white goods tend to just plug into a socket,

depends - you may need a cooker/fridge socket - which I assume is easy if you know what you are doing but a mystery for me!

in the UK you don't inherit debt, if the estate is in debt overall it is simply bankrupt, and if I'm dead that really is not my problem, and I doubt many people would shed a tear about a mortgage company or bank losing a bit of money.

Agreed - but dealing with an insolvent estate is a right royal PITA! Not for you obviously........... .

The administrators of the estate have to be really careful not to pay off the debts in the wrong order or they could be held liable and they must ensure all creditors in a class are treated equally. it is a potential minefield because often getting the information is really tricky. The bank will have first call on any money you do have so nothing will go to the family in the event of a shortfall.

In our area we should be ok insurance wise due to the level of the housing market but elsewhere you need to make sure you have the means to pay off the mortgage come the end of the term, however that may come. I know that is a long way off but it needs to be in your mind.

As a general aside to all and sundry - get a Will sorted out. It wont cost much as most of us have sod all to leave and no need for trusts or anything fancy. Oh and if you are divorced or you hatch new kids you need a new will or the old one leaving everything to your evil ex/missing out your beloved 2nd child still stands.

end of public service announcement!

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
Kitchen units aren't that hard to fit the a few but if advice that I've learnt from during ours:

IKEA units have no gaps at the back unlike most others. This was fine for us as the plumbing was contained behind one unit so limited need for cutting out of back panels. However could be a right pain in some kitchens. However this does mean you get deeper cupboards.

IKEA site you to fit wall cupboards as base cupboards, this was useful for us as it allows a row of cupboards next to our table whilst giving people at the take about 10cm each of extra space. This means that people can just get past someone sat down, which makes the space a lot better.

IKEA have some worktops that are custom orders, this means that they cut them for you and ask you have to do is bolt them together. It means that you pay more for the worktops but save on the fitting costs. You still need to cut the hole for the sink, which requires a jigsaw, but make sure it's a good one as otherwise it will take an age to do.

Make sure you fit your worktop for the sink with a slight fall so that it drains well.

When fitting units fit a temporary batton asking the underside of where the units will run. This allows you to get that level a lot more easier that the units, it also allows you to test the units on it whilst you fit them. It is such a big benefit that it more than offsets the costs of the few bits of wood and several screws and wall plugs you'll use. Given that most people will rule or for splashbacks any holes are covered up anyway.

Laminate flooring is easy to fit, when we did ours B&Q did a slate looking one that looks very real, to the extent that wires a few people thought that it was real slate. Fit insulation under it.

If you know someone with a water cooled the cutter ask to borrow it as it will make cutting tiles a breeze. We rarely broke or miss cut tiles when we used one.

Make sure that you allow for about 10% more flooring, tiles, etc. As there will be left over short bus that you can't use, those that get miss cut, those that break, etc. As you don't want to have to go back halfway through a project.

Check with work to see if you have any company benefits that get you discounts anywhere, if not find an older relative who can get 10% off with a diamond card at B&Q.

Shop around, you may still find it cheaper at the likes of screwfix than at Wikes or B&Q even with discounts.

Try and make space for a dishwasher (even if you fit a cupboard in that space to start with).

Freestanding cookers are cheaper, but depending on your layout built in can be better (just try and avoid putting it so it causes dark corners).

If you need double glazing, arrange the appointment with their sales staff before you move in. It means that they don't hang around as they have to stand up! This means that they cut to the chase a lot quicker and avoids all that sales play.

Another truck is to arrange for three at once and tell them all that you'll go with the cheapest and leave them to fight it out (bit that I've done this, but I did do the before moving in).

With all trades be willing to be cheaky and ask for extras (i.e. while your doing X could you do Y as well...) espcilay if the extras are a little fiddly. As an example, whilst getting a boiler serviced ask about plumbing in the kitchen sink, you may only be charged for parts.

xc170

Before signing contracts, make sure to have one last look around.

Two weeks before signing contracts, the previous occupants of my house, moved out, leaving anything they didn’t want on the back lawn, fortunately, I had a quick look over he back fence and through the windows a few days before exchanging contracts so called my solicitor and told them nothing was happening until the garden was cleared.

PeterC

Established Member
Take a good look round the area, preferably several times at different times of day. What may look lovely at 9am may have yobs hanging around at 9pm. Be aware of surrounding properties, its no good complaining after moving about the church bells waking you up on Sunday mornings if you buy a house opposite a church. (People do)

Dai Corner

Established Member
I agree with @DarloRich on this (if not on politics!). Remember estate agents are working for, and being paid lots of money by, the seller. They don't have any responsibility towards you as a buyer. Some will say anything to get you to view or buy a property.

Having said that, go in to all the agents in the area you are interested in, making yourself known and emphasising that you are a first time buyer, have a mortgage agreed in principle, are ready to buy and can complete as soon as the paperwork is done or wait a bit if that suits the seller. You're in a really strong position. A good agent will ring you and buyers like you as soon as they take on a suitable property. It might not even make it on to Rightmove/Zoopla.

Good luck!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Take a good look round the area, preferably several times at different times of day. What may look lovely at 9am may have yobs hanging around at 9pm. Be aware of surrounding properties, its no good complaining after moving about the church bells waking you up on Sunday mornings if you buy a house opposite a church. (People do)

Also do this for other reasons - for instance, during the working day the parking situation may seem rosy, whereas at 9pm it might be triple-stacked or with no respect for allocated spaces. Or you might find the streetlamp shines directly in through the bedroom window. I pulled out of a house purchase having found both of these to be the case. (Doing it again I'd check these things before offering - but it's all very easy in retrospect).

PeterC

Established Member
Also do this for other reasons - for instance, during the working day the parking situation may seem rosy, whereas at 9pm it might be triple-stacked or with no respect for allocated spaces. Or you might find the streetlamp shines directly in through the bedroom window. I pulled out of a house purchase having found both of these to be the case. (Doing it again I'd check these things before offering - but it's all very easy in retrospect).
I had chopped a couple of examples from my previous post for clarity including parking.
If you have parking bays rather than individual drives or kerbside parking then these may or may not be allocated. Quiz the owner in this case as the agent probably won't know and may just make up whatever sounds best. The searches will tell you but that is a long way down the process. Reserved parking pays will probably involve a mandatory service charge as well, give the agent a prod if this isn't mentioned.

cjp

I had chopped a couple of examples from my previous post for clarity including parking.
If you have parking bays rather than individual drives or kerbside parking then these may or may not be allocated. Quiz the owner in this case as the agent probably won't know and may just make up whatever sounds best. The searches will tell you but that is a long way down the process. Reserved parking pays will probably involve a mandatory service charge as well, give the agent a prod if this isn't mentioned.
The Op said he was looking to move into a a 50 year old house from a flat so no service charges

PeterC

Established Member
The Op said he was looking to move into a a 50 year old house from a flat so no service charges
Doesn't mean that you don't have service charges. In the road where I live the council only adopted the carriageway and footways not the parking pays or verges. All freeholders have to pay an annual sub to a residents' co-operative to maintain these.

BantamMenace

Doesn't mean that you don't have service charges. In the road where I live the council only adopted the carriageway and footways not the parking pays or verges. All freeholders have to pay an annual sub to a residents' co-operative to maintain these.

That's interesting, where and when would i find out about things such as that?

I'm viewing the property i'm interested in next Saturday. Today I have been for a trip around IKEA to gauge the price of kitchens although I've also been recommended a local kitchen company that I will most certainly invite round for a quote and ideas if i go ahead and build the house.

In people's experiences is it best to find a company that will do everything from current old kitchen to new kitchen, new flooring, plumbing (installing sink, washer and dishwasher), electrics (installing integrated oven/microwave, new sockets, integrated fridge freezer, new lights) and plastering if needed once old kitchen is removed; basically everything bar decorating. Or is it best to break the work down and sort the individual trades myself?

For the purpose of my question you can assume that I have £10k funds and don't need the advantage of breaking down the spend profile and doing it over time.

I'm also hopeful that the recommended local kitchen firm will be able to recommend a builder they've worked with previously the remove the internal wall i'm eyeing up removing. Are there any pitfalls of this as I personally know no tradesman in the area i'm looking at moving to?

Bevan Price

Established Member

And you need to remember that in most locations, you have no automatic right to park on a public road outside your house. If there are no parking restrictions, anyone can park there. And even in "residents only" parking areas, a permit often only entitles you to park "somewhere" within a named zone.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

That cant be taken as a given, especially on an "estate" house.

Indeed - my brother pays a service charge for grounds maintenance as part of his development even though he is freehold. It is less than the flats but still an extra payment.

it will be in the title documents. Your solicitor will discover it.

In people's experiences is it best to find a company that will do everything from current old kitchen to new kitchen, new flooring, plumbing (installing sink, washer and dishwasher), electrics (installing integrated oven/microwave, new sockets, integrated fridge freezer, new lights) and plastering if needed once old kitchen is removed; basically everything bar decorating. Or is it best to break the work down and sort the individual trades myself?

For the purpose of my question you can assume that I have £10k funds and don't need the advantage of breaking down the spend profile and doing it over time.

From my experience I think one contractor is best. It takes away a lot of the co ordination work you will have to do with the separate trades and transfers the cost risk to the contractor. In MK it was very difficult to obtain tradesmen. Very difficult indeed. At home in the north east the work for jobbing builkders is terraced house conversions. IN MK it is garages, extensions, converstories or long term site work as a subbie. They just weren't interested in small jobs hence the need for one contractor.

I'm also hopeful that the recommended local kitchen firm will be able to recommend a builder they've worked with previously the remove the internal wall i'm eyeing up removing. Are there any pitfalls of this as I personally know no tradesman in the area i'm looking at moving to?

Remember you will ( perhaps not is non load bearing) need technical drawings, architects plans, structural engineering calculations and structural steel work in relation to your wall removal. and they are extra professionals you need to instruct. I didn't have to do any of this with one builder on site. He arranged everything. All i had to do was provide the scope, mange him and make decisions.

Making decisions sounds easy but it gets harder and harder as the money gets smaller and smaller and suddenly you need extra structural steel work or extra damp proofing or more electrical replacement than you initially budgeted for. I didn't want all that AND having the stress of trying to make sure the chippie turned up at the right time and the plaster finished on time.

fowler9

Established Member

I'm viewing the property i'm interested in next Saturday. Today I have been for a trip around IKEA to gauge the price of kitchens although I've also been recommended a local kitchen company that I will most certainly invite round for a quote and ideas if i go ahead and build the house.

Do a lot of research in to which companies or people you get doing work on your house. If possible take recommendations off people you really trust. If possible on our house in Liverpool we use family friends or neighbors to do anything and if they can't do it they will recommend someone who can for a reasonable price and who will also do a good job. After working in housing for a good few years now I know there are some tradesmen out there who will really ruin your day, the vast majority won't though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dai Corner

Established Member
It is better to buy a crap house in a good area rather than a good house in a crap area.

Or to look at it another way, you can change almost anything about a house apart from its location.

The big winners are those who, through luck or good judgement, buy in a crap area which becomes a good one.

cjp

Sounds like an Estate Charge to me:rolleyes:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If it's a complex transaction I'd agree instruct a solicitor and accept you will have to pay more but if it's a straightforward leasehold or freehold purchase a conveyancer should be fine.

I think it very much depends on the conveyancing firms. Get a high street licensed conveyancer and they may have more technical expertise and knowledge than a jack-of-all-trades high street solicitor.

Having worked for a factory-farm conveyancing firm for a fair few years, I can safely say I would avoid them like the plague. It turns out that if you pay your paralegals peanuts you generally get high turnover of staff and you get low attention to detail. Some of the cockups my firm made on what should have been basic transactions were appalling. And the fees were often higher than high street firms, once you'd paid for all the "optional extras" that would have been included in a high street fee. £70 for arranging insurance that took us literally two minutes to do?

If your estate agent are pushing them then that's because the estate agent are getting a kickback for it. If your lender are pushing them then that's because the lender are getting a kickback for it. Someone has to pay for the commission.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think it very much depends on the conveyancing firms. Get a high street licensed conveyancer and they may have more technical expertise and knowledge than a jack-of-all-trades high street solicitor.

Having worked for a factory-farm conveyancing firm for a fair few years, I can safely say I would avoid them like the plague. It turns out that if you pay your paralegals peanuts you generally get high turnover of staff and you get low attention to detail. Some of the cockups my firm made on what should have been basic transactions were appalling. And the fees were often higher than high street firms, once you'd paid for all the "optional extras" that would have been included in a high street fee. £70 for arranging insurance that took us literally two minutes to do?

If your estate agent are pushing them then that's because the estate agent are getting a kickback for it. If your lender are pushing them then that's because the lender are getting a kickback for it. Someone has to pay for the commission.

I agree entirely. Although your high street solicitors should have expert conveyancers within them. It is a good source of easy and regular money.

BantamMenace

Anybody had any experience of a mortgage brokered by Habito?

Also, they offer a flat see £499 conveyancer, is he interested in hearing from anyone that had used this service to see how it compares to the advice above. (My partner’s brother is a property paralegal so I will probably go via him)

Bevan Price

Established Member
It is better to buy a crap house in a good area rather than a good house in a crap area.

I tend to disagree. One of my cousins bought an old house in a reasonable area, but was faced with incessant bills for repairs to different faults that kept appearing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I tend to disagree. One of my cousins bought an old house in a reasonable area, but was faced with incessant bills for repairs to different faults that kept appearing.

But he could, if he chose and could afford it, pay for a full building survey and for all faults to be remedied in one go, or even bulldoze it and build fresh on the land. Whereas your house in a crap area will always be in a crap area unless the area itself changes, you can't viably move it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I've no idea how many cut-price conveyancers offer other services, like will-writing, but it was one of these which caused me so much grief when I was sole executor of a will. My brother-in-law had drawn up a simple will, less than two A4 pages: each page had to be signed by him and witnessed by an independent person. Brother-in-law had signed at the bottom of the first page, but not at the bottom of the second, despite the witness to the signature signing both! He should never have been allowed to leave their offices with a copy in that state. I admit to seriously considering (for a few hours, until common sense took hold) forging the signature: without wishing to go into too much detail, my sister (to whom everything had been left) was in a very fragile mental condition, not only with his sudden death, but with the Inner London coroner, on his last afternoon before retirement, and having telephoned to say the requisite form could be taken to the Registrar to commence the formalities, changed his mind as to the causes of death and rescinded the form. I, with no mobile phone in 1997, was patiently waiting at Brixton Register Office with the form, duly obtained Certificate of Death, returned to my sister's to hear it was invalid!

Anyway, should just add that I have myself used a non-showy conveyancer on a property I was having to sell at a tremendous loss, and all was fine: however, I wasn't simultaneously buying another one

Gemz91

Open any fitted wardrobes in the house. We looked round a house built in the 70's. Two of the adjoining bedrooms had fitted wardrobes in them, the man who lived in the house was a tenet and not house owner, he just happened to mention to us that there was no diving wall in the wardrobes. He opened the wardrobe door and there was no wall, could see straight through to the back of the doors for the wardrobe in the next bedroom. The wardrobe just had two rails in it. Was bizarre. If he'd never told us we'd have probably put an offer in for the house too. Can't imagine it the two sets of wardrobe doors would have provided much sound proofing between the two rooms.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Open any fitted wardrobes in the house. We looked round a house built in the 70's. Two of the adjoining bedrooms had fitted wardrobes in them, the man who lived in the house was a tenet and not house owner, he just happened to mention to us that there was no diving wall in the wardrobes. He opened the wardrobe door and there was no wall, could see straight through to the back of the doors for the wardrobe in the next bedroom. The wardrobe just had two rails in it. Was bizarre. If he'd never told us we'd have probably put an offer in for the house too. Can't imagine it the two sets of wardrobe doors would have provided much sound proofing between the two rooms.

If the rest of the house was right I wouldn't have been put off by that. Rip the wardrobes out and put up a stud wall. DIY probably a couple of weekends' work (then get a plasterer in, doing *that* nicely is hard) and not particularly difficult.

It amazes me how many people are put off houses by minor things which are easy to change when you consider the £n00,000 you're paying for it. In particular I could never understand why anyone let the colour of the paint influence their choice of house - but there is plenty of evidence that it does.

Dai Corner

Established Member
If the rest of the house was right I wouldn't have been put off by that. Rip the wardrobes out and put up a stud wall. DIY probably a couple of weekends' work (then get a plasterer in, doing *that* nicely is hard) and not particularly difficult.

It amazes me how many people are put off houses by minor things which are easy to change when you consider the £n00,000 you're paying for it. In particular I could never understand why anyone let the colour of the paint influence their choice of house - but there is plenty of evidence that it does.

It works to the advantage of those of us who can see beyond the minor flaws though. My present house had stood empty and unsold for six months, perhaps because the kids had been allowed to choose their own carpets and paint schemes for their bedrooms which naturally clashed horribly with each other and the rest of the house. My first offer was accepted and the difference between it and the asking price more than paid for a paint job and new carpets throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.