• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a steam engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsn03

Hello, first post ever on here, though I read the threads in this area regularly.

Probably a daft question, but where does one find mainline line standard gauge steam engines for sale? Presumably a lot are in the hands of private owners, the odd one being sold at some point.

Reason for asking - in about 2 years time we might have a line going into a site, can't say more than that, all subject to planning etc. Budget would allow for a steam engine for the novelty / occasional hauling / lending / other if we can get one.

Is there some group who manage the buy / sell of engines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
Interesting post! I don't think there is a group that buys or sells steam locomotives - they sometimes come up for sale in "Steam Railway" magazine or even, I think, E - bay!
If you make it known that you are looking for one via an advert/article or two in the Steam/Rail press/social media, I think you would soon find out what is, or might be, available.

wsn03

Interesting post! I don't think there is a group that buys or sells steam locomotives - they sometimes come up for sale in "Steam Railway" magazine or even, I think, E - bay!
If you make it known that you are looking for one via an advert/article or two in the Steam/Rail press/social media, I think you would soon find out what is, or might be, available.
Thanks for the heads up! I will do what you have suggested.
And yes, an interesting first post.
I'm in the very lucky position of being able to spend my Chairman's money in some slightly unconventional ways, just so long as I keep making him money. Watch this space (over the next 3 - 5 years)!

6Gman

Established Member
Hello, first post ever on here, though I read the threads in this area regularly.

Probably a daft question, but where does one find mainline line standard gauge steam engines for sale? Presumably a lot are in the hands of private owners, the odd one being sold at some point.

Reason for asking - in about 2 years time we might have a line going into a site, can't say more than that, all subject to planning etc. Budget would allow for a steam engine for the novelty / occasional hauling / lending / other if we can get one.

Is there some group who manage the buy / sell of engines?

Buying is easy. Keeping it is difficult, and expensive.

Kettledrum

For a running steam engine, there's also lots of important and expensive things like a boiler certificate, light railway order, finding a driver, training, keeping up to date with health and safety, insurance etc. Static exhibits are simpler.

fireftrm

all of that and probably about £300,000 to buy it. Of ocurse the list that kettledrum gave you would easily quadruple that (possibly much more than that)

alexl92

Established Member
The wnxx for sale section features adverts for various locos, rolling stock and infrastructure but I haven't seen a steam loco on there for ages!

wsn03

I'm aware of the costs of keeping one, I've spoken to people on the Isle of Man Railways and the Severn Valley in the past, purely out of interest. Luckily those costs aren't prohibitive, but thanks for the heads up.

As a fan of old things I'll look for an original when the time comes, not that interested in building something new.
I will keep my eyes on the wnxx for sale section.
Thanks for all the replies.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Your first port of call needs to be the Minor Railways section at the Office of Rail and Road. They will be able to advise you if your idea will be permitted, and what (many and expensive) regulatory hoops you will have to jump through, in order to bring it to fruition.
Preservation is a small world. Locos tend to be sold through "word of mouth". Owners want to know where their cherished machine is going. If something is for sale, it is most likely knackered, and beyond the means of the existing owners to restore, or likely to need an awful lot of money spending on it very soon. Yes there have been a couple of locos on eBay (and only a couple), but they were small ex - industrial machines, in need of major expenditure, and of little practical use if restored.
If you are proposing some form of small scale railway at an attraction, speak to Alan Keef Ltd.

wsn03

Apologies for the lateness, but thanks for the more recent replies.
To put this in context - this is an industrial site that will eventually be looking to connect to a nearby freight line in order to transport its own shipments by rail ( large consignment on an infrequent basis).

A line will be built into the site with a loading area etc. Said steam locomotive would live on the site in the main. The ideal would be for it to stretch its legs pulling the occasinal freight - all to be researched nearer the time.

Iskra

Established Member
Why wouldn't you just get an industrial diesel shunting loco? It would make a lot more sense.

Flying Phil

Established Member
If you are hoping to haul anything on the NR lines, then the costs will go up quite a lot as you will need all the modern "in cab" signalling electronics, route qualified drivers, main line maintenance records etc etc. It is possible, but your chairman will need very deep pockets...

Bevan Price

Established Member
If it is to be a new connection to Network Rail lines, it is likely to involve some resignalling of the main line - which you will be expected to pay for - and that is likely to be expensive. However - good luck.

furnessvale

Established Member
Apologies for the lateness, but thanks for the more recent replies.
To put this in context - this is an industrial site that will eventually be looking to connect to a nearby freight line in order to transport its own shipments by rail ( large consignment on an infrequent basis).

A line will be built into the site with a loading area etc. Said steam locomotive would live on the site in the main. The ideal would be for it to stretch its legs pulling the occasinal freight - all to be researched nearer the time.
With my interest in freight I am much more interested in the freight side of your operation than the steam, but I wish you well with that.

Please keep us up to date with the freight side when you are able to release information.

If you Google "Steam for sale" you will find one or two companies who deal with traction engines but they do have the odd loco.

Status
Not open for further replies.