• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a ticket on the train to extend journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeza1

Bit of a "what if" scenario this,
Say I am on a train from Birmingham to Sheffield, with a valid ticket I may add, when I get a call requesting me to continue to Leeds,(this did happen a couple of months ago but I had already left the train at Sheffield),can I purchase a ticket from the conductor at the normal rate for the extra part of the journey, ie, Off Peak, Railcard Discount, etc or would I have to get off at Sheffield to purchase my ticket at the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Bit of a "what if" scenario this,
Say I am on a train from Birmingham to Sheffield, with a valid ticket I may add, when I get a call requesting me to continue to Leeds,(this did happen a couple of months ago but I had already left the train at Sheffield),can I purchase a ticket from the conductor at the normal rate for the extra part of the journey, ie, Off Peak, Railcard Discount, etc or would I have to get off at Sheffield to purchase my ticket at the station?

If you approach the guard before your current ticket expires, the full range of tickets and discounts should be available.

Be3G

Established Member
My experience (with South West Trains at least) differs: the guard will happily sell a ticket, but only an anytime ticket with no discounts. Their customer services confirmed that to me when I e-mailed them afterwards too.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
That is not right, retail training currently says that the full range of tickets/discounts is available provided you speak to the guard before you reach your ticketed destination.

Be3G

Established Member
Interesting, thank you for that. Admittedly my experience was a few years back, so maybe the situation has changed since then!

wintonian

Established Member
I don't have any trouble getting an excess from SWT guards although if I'm changing trains I have before been asked to get it done at the station.

This is doing it before the expiry of the ticket held and an excess has even been done on-board on one or two occasions when when I have forgot to get the tickets changed.

Flamingo

Established Member
I usually check that a new ticket is not cheaper, first.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Would the OP be able to get an excess to Leeds on board the train, rather than an additional ticket?

Yes, although not all guards are willing if excessing over a long distance or know how to do it.

route:oxford

Established Member
I've always found on-train staff to be very helpful in selling onward connections, it's a handy service that my line manager uses regularly.

He often travels into London in the morning, but returns in the afternoon off-peak.

At the station in the morning, a peak single is purchased from the machines at £27.50. He then boards the train and purchases an off-peak single (utilising his network railcard) from Paddington to Oxford from the on train staff at £18.15 or £14.80 as appropriate. A total of £45.65 or £42.30 depending if he will be taking a peak or off-peak service for the return instead of £54.00 from the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.