• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying tickets for Euston to City Thameslink return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I showed our overseas visitors how to use Contactless. They went into Central London where at Bond Street the fire alarms had gone off and everyone was being hustled out and the gates were disabled and open.

It only came to light afterwards that they had a huge charge on their credit card from TfL. It was their only trip of the day. This is the sort of experience that leads to still wanting paper tickets. However is this meant to be sorted out?

That's what the Oyster helpline is for.

Maximum fares arising from incompleted journeys can be automatically resolved in some cases. This was sometimes done for ExCel events where travellers were asked to exit the DLR without touching out to ease congestion.

Whether a fire alarm can be substantially mitigated in this way I don't know. In any case it is still possible to have the journey resolved and any overcharge refunded by emailing or calling customer services, but then of course there's the hassle factor of doing that.

Although balanced against the "hassle" of queuing up for (more expensive) paper tickets every time, rather than just touching in and going.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
This was sometimes done for ExCel events where travellers were asked to exit the DLR without touching out to ease congestion.
I was under the impression that the DLR doesn't require a touch out.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Indeed. I think there used to be cases where exit gates would be left open at some LU stations too when there was major sport on.

Taunton

Established Member
That's what the Oyster helpline is for.
What a glib TfL-speak answer. By telephone from Russia?

How does a Contactless user even know it's an extra penalty rather than the norm?

Maximum fares arising from incompleted journeys can be automatically resolved in some cases. This was sometimes done for ExCel events where travellers were asked to exit the DLR without touching out to ease congestion.

That only worked if you touched back in later at Excel. If you carried on without using TfL again, like walking home (some of us live here), you got charged the maximum penalty, the system had no idea you had gone to Excel.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
That only worked if you touched back in later at Excel. If you carried on without using TfL again, like walking home (some of us live here), you got charged the maximum penalty, the system had no idea you had gone to Excel.
It certainly wasn't a perfect answer yes. It also risks Oyster users losing their balance which they subsequently need to be permitted to travel.

Starmill

Veteran Member
You don't necessarily need to use the phone, if you're using contactless with a registered card (big ifs) you may be requested to complete the journey using your account, just by typing in the missing station. However if not you may need to use the web form, email, or call.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We’re getting off topic here. Tourists encountering difficulties using contactless are not going to assist the OP and are probably best discussed in a new thread.

island

Veteran Member
I showed our overseas visitors how to use Contactless. They went into Central London where at Bond Street the fire alarms had gone off and everyone was being hustled out and the gates were disabled and open.

It only came to light afterwards that they had a huge charge on their credit card from TfL. It was their only trip of the day. This is the sort of experience that leads to still wanting paper tickets. However is this meant to be sorted out?
The incomplete journey charge is around £8 in most cases. Hardly “huge”.

edit: sorry, added this before seeing Hadders’ request above.

PeterC

Established Member
I have had journeys automatically resolved where gates have been open with the readers out of use. It does take a few days for them to play catch-up though

EDIT: as above

Taunton

Established Member
We’re getting off topic here. Tourists encountering difficulties using contactless are not going to assist the OP and are probably best discussed in a new thread.
But I got the impression the OP is a tourist to London, and there was a response "Why not use Contactless".

The incomplete journey charge is around £8 in most cases. Hardly “huge”.
Times three of them ...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But I got the impression the OP is a tourist to London, and there was a response "Why not use Contactless".
The OP mentions work travel policy and says they will be carrying legal papers.

PeterC

Established Member
As a Londoner I would never travel from Euston to City Thameslink in the first place. Depending on the final destination there is always an alternative Underground station that would be more convenient if starting from Euston.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As a Londoner I would never travel from Euston to City Thameslink in the first place. Depending on the final destination there is always an alternative Underground station that would be more convenient if starting from Euston.
Northern line to Tottenham Court Road and then Central to Chancery Lane or St Pauls would seem appropriate. Or, for the other end of City Thameslink, Northern to Embankment and then District to Temple or Blackfriars.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The OP did imply that they preferred to use City Thameslink on the basis that their destination was accessible almost directly opposite one of City Thameslink's entrances. It's also worth noting that the trains to City Thameslink are air conditioned and have spacious standing areas, unlike the deep tube lines, whether that makes any difference.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The OP did imply that they preferred to use City Thameslink on the basis that their destination was accessible almost directly opposite one of City Thameslink's entrances. It's also worth noting that the trains to City Thameslink are air conditioned and have spacious standing areas, unlike the deep tube lines, whether that makes any difference.

A stroll to St Pancras and a short ride on Thameslink is far more enjoyable than cramming into the overheated, sweaty Northern Line. I've done it.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A stroll to St Pancras and a short ride on Thameslink is far more enjoyable than cramming into the overheated, sweaty Northern Line. I've done it.
And if you'd read the OPs posts on this thread you'd realise that they don't want to get caught in a shower on account of the particular luggage they would be carrying. I did the normally pleasant walk from Euston to St Pancras a few days ago in the rain and it was far from pleasant.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And if you'd read the OPs posts on this thread you'd realise that they don't want to get caught in a shower on account of the particular luggage they would be carrying. I did the normally pleasant walk from Euston to St Pancras a few days ago in the rain and it was far from pleasant.

Yes, but if it isn't raining then it's far better than using the Tube.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I reckon that
Euston - King's Cross St Pancras (Victoria)
King's Cross St Pancras - Farringdon (SSL)
Farringdon - City Thameslink (Thameslink)
is probably preferable to going to Euston Square if it is raining and avoids going through barriers at Kings Cross St Pancras. Possibly quicker as well.

Deety

If you're conveying a stack of legal papers for work you'd expect to have some kind of container to keep them in... It's really not hard to keep things dry using the miracle of plastics.

tspaul26

Established Member
Is the issue that you must get point to point as they don't trust you not to go to another Z1 station? Or just that Finance need to see clearly specified and destination? Talk about lack of trust!
Policy is no London zonal fares at all.

It’s aimed at preventing people buying travelcards when only making one or two zone 1 journeys, but throws the baby out with the bath water.

If you are travelling by train, why did you get a ticket to Euston and not City Thameslink. Or was it simply a late decision to change destination.
Work travel agent doesn’t like anything “unusual” - and they include Thameslink in that!

Ludgate Circus, in fact.

And I was mightily glad of air con on Thameslink this morning I may say!

Yes, but if it isn't raining then it's far better than using the Tube.
I agree. When travelling on my own account I normally walk where possible.

If you're conveying a stack of legal papers for work you'd expect to have some kind of container to keep them in... It's really not hard to keep things dry using the miracle of plastics.
Alas, other than a plastic crate the papers were just the right size to be inconvenient to carry, unless cling-filmed I suppose.

You can have a look at them on the Court of Appeal’s Court 71 Youtube channel from today if you really want!

EDIT: in any event, Euston Mainline booking office sold me the ticket no bother and I now have both receipt and hard copy ticket to keep finance happy, so a win overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.