• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C class 720 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimfrst

They are definitely needed, for a number of reasons. Chiefly capacity.

Does anyone know when we’re expecting to see these units in service? Has the TOC accepted any for driver training yet?
No date as to when any driver training is due to start.

Established Member
They are definitely needed, for a number of reasons. Chiefly capacity.

Does anyone know when we’re expecting to see these units in service? Has the TOC accepted any for driver training yet?
Some managers started training on them but unsure if any got passed out or not.

No instructors or drivers have been trained. The units are sitting at Shoeburyness and don't seem to move from what I can see.

Trainfan2019

The 720s I saw at Crewe on Monday have been there each evening so far this week. Yesterday though, there was only 1 train not 2.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Capacity? Is c2c bucking the trend of other London operators and has loadings back at the level of 2019?
Not sure about exact numbers but the trains were very busy Monday and extremely busy Tuesday this week. I will see tomorrow if it has quietened down, perhaps because it's a common WFH day but I think it's only going to continue getting busier.

Established Member
Capacity? Is c2c bucking the trend of other London operators and has loadings back at the level of 2019?
We seem to be almost back to normal, I'd say we are busier off peak than we were before the pandemic.

We now run 8 cars off peak all week, whereas before 2020 trains were 4 cars. This has put extra requirements on units and reduced maintenance times.

The platform issue at Basildon meaning any train stopping there is now a maximum length of 8 cars has improved things slightly but only while the shortforms to enable stops there continue.

racyrich

We seem to be almost back to normal, I'd say we are busier off peak than we were before the pandemic.

We now run 8 cars off peak all week, whereas before 2020 trains were 4 cars. This has put extra requirements on units and reduced maintenance times.

But via Basildon off-peak is now 2tph instead of the 4tph it was pre-covid.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I'm always impressed by the confidence exuded in some of your conclusions!
Work to my old BR managers philosophy KISS (keep it simple stupid) defacto the units are just sitting around doing nothing and probably costing leasing charges so if they aren't going to use them bundle them up with the 20 GA no longer need and you have a nice fleet for somewhere else. OK its tongue in cheek but the sclerosis in todays railway is just ridiculous and the secrecy about what is happening with taxpayers money isn't acceptable. You can't FOI C2C and DfT will just say its nothing to do with them as they don't have the contract.

Established Member
But via Basildon off-peak is now 2tph instead of the 4tph it was pre-covid.
There are also routes via Ockendon and Rainham.

Weekend services have/will also be strengthened to 8 coaches on these routes.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Work to my old BR managers philosophy KISS (keep it simple stupid) defacto the units are just sitting around doing nothing and probably costing leasing charges so if they aren't going to use them bundle them up with the 20 GA no longer need and you have a nice fleet for somewhere else. OK its tongue in cheek but the sclerosis in todays railway is just ridiculous and the secrecy about what is happening with taxpayers money isn't acceptable. You can't FOI C2C and DfT will just say its nothing to do with them as they don't have the contract.
Not to mention the extra 701s which SWR wont need!

Taunton

Established Member
Passed one testing at Stafford on Tuesday 7 Feb. Does seem to be taking an extraordinary time nowadays to test new trains.

The recovery in patronage does seem to be patchy; West Ham in the evening peak seems very busy. I haven't been on C2C recently, but from what I notice of them from the DLR at Shadwell (which does seem to have its old patronage back at all times) the later evening loads are notably thin, which contrarily seems to have coincided with them increasing from four to eight cars. The onetime Friday later evening outwards loads from those who had stayed on at the office etc, and which led to some notably overloaded four-car trains from Fenchurch Street, seems to have pretty much disappeared; the pubs in London say the same.

MDB1images

720603 noted on 05/04/23 on 5Q93 15:07 Nuneaton-Crewe / 5Q94 16:48 Crewe-Wembley(did say Ilford but don't think it went that far).

chris11256

Spotted one at East Ham this morning in the shed, is this the unit that had been sitting in Shoebury carriage sidings or another one that's been delivered?

jimfrst

Spotted one at East Ham this morning in the shed, is this the unit that had been sitting in Shoebury carriage sidings or another one that's been delivered?
It’s the 2 5 car units that have been at Shoeburyness carriage sidings.

chris11256

Definitely, starting to doubt whether any will see passenger service this year.

c2c now have a twitter post saying they now have 604 & 608, and the implication of driver training soon.
Exciting news! We're the proud owners of two brand new Aventra 720s, unit 720604 and 720608. Currently they're heading off to Shoeburyness where they will begin their driver training with our team

Last edited:

chris11256

We were told at Passenger Pannel last week that c2c now have taken delivery of 6 units with plans for the remaining units to be delivered one every two weeks. A list of faults/corrections has been sent to Alstom and the plan is for driver training to continue over the coming months. We weren't given any updates about entry to service, although I assume it'll be once more are delivered and drivers complete training.