• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cab ride on the local branch line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMUchap

Ok, When I was 15 years old this was in 1996) I used to frequent Derby Road station in Ipswich every Friday afternoon after school and watch the trains pass through. Often enough, the freight traffic would slow right down so I could see the nameplate properly on the side of the engine.
After a while it got a bit boring and I started to travel up and down the line instead of my trainspotting and soon enough the train crews got to know me to such a point they must have been impressed with my knowledge of the line because one day I was invited into the rear cab of a class 153 by the guard and he showed me the various controls of the unit and what they did. I was totally mesmorized by all of this and my thoughts were, "The driver has to use all these controls yet stay focused on the line ahead? wow!!" The guard even let me blow the horn on the train as it began to enter the Felixstowe town section. I went home a very happy person that day. :D

A couple of weeks later I started my journey from Ipswich station as I had done dozens of times before but in the Felixstowe direction this time. The guard saw me and promised me a cab ride with the driver in the Class 150(This was another guard whom I got to know). When the train left Westerfield the guard quickly ushered me towards the front of the train and into the drivers cab. I seriously had thought all my birthdays and christmases had come at once. I was so thrilled to be in the leading cab while it was moving and, if I remember correctly, the cab was HUGE. You could have put in five Pavarotti's and still have room to get past. The driver was very chatty and was telling me about his job and where else he worked before privatisation. When I told them of my grandad's railway work from porterboy in a rural station of Nottinghamshire to stationmaster of Derby station the guard nearly fainted. He thought I was winding him up as his brother worked there in the 1970's and was a clerk directly under my grandad, not literally though. Apparently, this guy kept getting stick from grandad because of his 'fashionable looks' so I replied that that it definitely sounded like something grandad would have done.

When the Felixstowe train leaves Derby Road station behind, there is one point of interest that you can just see from the train and that is the remains of Orwell station on the right through the trees after the train passes over the A14. When you compare Orwell station from an old photo to a ride in the cab you can definitely see that the track got moved slightly so that the old platforms could be demolished without problems. I did that the wrong way round though. I saw some pictures of Orwell station a few years later and I had to think back to the cab ride and saw the difference that way.

Just before Trimley I had to duck back into the passengers saloon so the signalman couldn't see me and I was allowed back into the cab as it left Trimley. I felt truly honoured to be allowed in the cab on both of those occasions.

Does anyone else have stories of being allowed in the drivers cab/footplate when they where younger?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
I was travelling up to Leeds as a 7 or 8 year old with family and after boarding the 225 set at Peterborough and finding our reserved seats, I heard a ticking noise coming from a case under the seat in front of me, I was sitting in a airline seat at the time.
So I told my parents who told the guard as soon as he came though of the suitcase, managed to get to Grantham where the whole train had to be evacated into the car park while the bomb squad checked the suitcase and the rest of the train as this was a time the IRA was particually busy.
Anyway, we all got the all clear and trundled off to Leeds with nothing else being said, got to Leeds and was waiting in the old waiting room on the side where the bays which East Coast use, only to have someone in a BR uniform call me over.
Now I don't know if he was the guard or driver but he very kindly showed me the cab of the DVT which as a railway mad little boy was like the OP had said all my christmas's and birthdays had came at once.
I do remember being told I did a fantastic job and well done, the owner of the suitcase got a bollocking though as he had left his alarm clock in the suitcase.

Oh happy days, :)

DMUchap

Good story. It must have been terrifying once you realised you found a potential bomb.

Welshman

Established Member
When the Calder Valley main line was turned over to dmus in the early 1960's, one or two of the gentlemen from Hammerton St would invite me into their cabs on a Saturday afternoon or at night ["when there was no-one around"] for a ride at the front end. What a thrill for a young boy!! Trouble was, I knew I couldn't tell anyone, because I didn't want to get them into trouble.
Now, in those 45 years or so, everything has changed. Those kind drivers have no doubt died, the class 110s and 101s are but history, and Hammerton St depot is long gone [used to park "First" buses the last time I passed - talk about adding insult to injury!]. And those 45 short years may as well be centuries as far as the railway culture is concerned.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Good story. It must have been terrifying once you realised you found a potential bomb.

Not really, didn't think much of it at the time other then how important it was to tell a member of staff, remember at these times the IRA was quite busy so to me it was all so exciting especially when you consider my tender years.

I remember there used to be a shop by the bays where the gateline is at the moment, used to buy a railway badge everytime I went though Leeds and if I recall correctly I got the HST Powercar badge for my fishing hat which I stuck all my badges on whewre I had been - note I never went fishing but it was that particular style.

Secondly how many entrances/exits are there at the moment, I know there's a gateline by the bays but know nothing.

Eng274

I remember sometime in 1994 being invited to the cab of a 153/5/6 while moving, as i was nursing my poorly IC225, which was my hornby model that the uncle i was visiting had promised to try and fix! seeing my train interest the guard asked if i wanted to see the cab, so i went up and spoke to the driver for what mustve only been a few minutes. this was on a rural lincolnshire line, so not terribly busy from what i can remember, possibly somewhere between doncaster and lincoln.. anyway, i loved it! was grinning like mad all day afterwards!

In 1995 whilst at edinburgh waverley, I was invited into the cab of an intercity HST while it was between trips; got to see the control desk, and the driver opened the door to the engine room with the engine running (didnt get to stand in it though, but what a day that was!)

to echo other posters, for a train-mad boy it was sheer joy to see the nerve centre (and latterly the heart) of these machines in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aictos

Established Member
One of the biggest highlights was being shown round a Class 37 at Kings Cross including a tour of both the engine room and cab when the engine was on, :)

wensley

Established Member
I have been lucky enough to cab a large number of locos including 08s, 20s, 31s, 37s, 43s, 55s, 57s, 60s, 66s, 67s, 90s, 91s, 156s, 180sm, 220s and a few more. One highlight was walking through the engine room of 57307 with the engine running and revving it manually from inside the engine room!

I have been lucky enough to spend time of the footplates of 47s and 55s when working as well as on 03s when shunting. Another highlight was standing next to one of the Napiers in 55022 when it started up <D

Another definate highlight was a mainline cab trip post-privatisation although I was a little underwhelmed not seeing a great deal different from times spent 'up front' on pres lines.

scotsman

Established Member
Cabbed a 25, 26, Black 5, A4, Tornado, a 20, plus 37s, 47s, 43s, 220s, 221s, 390s, 91s, DVTs. And 170s, 158s, 185s, 156s, a 322 and a 142. Also, a 31 and a 180.

My current Facebook profile picture is of me at the controls of a 37!

Any Permitted

When I was a kid in the 90s I was allowed into the cab of what must have been a 156 or 153, I was about 10 at the time and got to pull the horn. I was inconsolable with happiness.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I got invited forwards into the cab of one of the class 210s once on the B&H out of Reading.

And I've posted elsewhere on the forum some time ago about once having a ride arranged by an Inspector on an HST on the ECML.

Meanwhile... in non-railway terms I have had both of the ultimate cab rides: I have been on the flight deck of Concorde G-BOAG at Mach 2 ( this was pre 9/11, I must add ) and I have also been on the bridge of the Queen Elizabeth 2 - this was during departure from the port of Ajaccio.:D

flymo

Established Member
The only cab ride I have done is an HST from Newcastle - Leeds. Accelerating out of York on the first day of this new timetable (May 1989) and our train was now routed through Leeds not Doncaster as in the previous timetable. It was a cross country service to the south west. Anyway the driver thought it was strange to be on this line to go to Leeds, it was the left most line looking out of the cab windscreen, and at 90mph+ he eased off the power as he guessed he may be routed wrong at Colton Jn. Sure enough upon seeing the green with a feather indicating the Doncaster line was set an immediate full brake application ensued. Good brakes them trains. Anyway we went past the signal by about 200yds and stopped. A call to the signalman was made and we set back behind the signal. Then after about 2 minutes we set off to Leeds.

Quite a memorable one and only cab ride.

I have to say that the front seat on one of the first generation DMU's was just as good as a cab ride as you could see what the driver was doing, hear all the bells and whistles and see the road ahead. I did many miles in that front seat and in one day on several trains did Newcastle - Carlisle - Barrow - Preston, all in the front seat. Wonderful stuff thundering flat out down the WCML then being passed by an 86.

Ah happy days. :D

Aictos

Established Member
Why wouldn't it count?

I drove 55019 around the back of Haymarket shed back in 1981 :D, only about 200 yards but very memorable.

I've driven a 08 at York about the same distance, just wish I could have had a longer time on it maybe on a nice long stretch like the GCR for example hauling a local goods train.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have cabbed a class 139 (PPM) on the Stourbridge Branch Line - may not count as there is a passenger seat there! :lol:

DMUchap

I have cabbed a class 139 (PPM) on the Stourbridge Branch Line - may not count as there is a passenger seat there! :lol:

I was on the line watching the class 139 last year and quite a few passengers can gather at the front (But aren't allowed to sit in the front passenger seat due to safety reasons) and enjoy the view ahead as the drivers compartment is seperated by only a yellow metal fold down bar.
So no, in my opinion your ride wouldn't count as a cab ride.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbdi/3910671728/

Last edited:

Voyager 2093

I've Cabbed a 165 from Rickmansworth to Aylesbury, 168, 332, 360, D Stock, 1992 Stock and 2009 Stock.

MCR247

Established Member
I was on the line watching the class 139 last year and quite a few passengers can gather at the front (But aren't allowed to sit in the front passenger seat due to safety reasons) and enjoy the view ahead as the drivers compartment is seperated by only a yellow metal fold down bar.
So no, in my opinion your ride wouldn't count as a cab ride.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbdi/3910671728/

That is the first time I've seen a 139 interior and they use the same seats as our Dennis Darts!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.