• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cactus' UK & European rail travels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thanks!

I know, it was mean't to be joke!
I tease fishquinn all the time about Voyagers & class 159s!
Oh ok. But I do like Virgin Trains so that was why I thought hmm :lol:

I like Voyagers and 159s, though 159s have barely any legroom.

I can’t believe you hate Meridians though, they’re so nice!

cactustwirly

Established Member
I can’t believe you hate Meridians though, they’re so nice!

I really don't get your hate for HSTs, they are clearly superior to Meridians in almost every way!

I don't hate Meridians, but I wouldn't say I enjoy them either, they're noisy, rattly, uncomfortable, caustrophobic & there's hardly any seats.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I really don't get your hate for HSTs, they are clearly superior to Meridians in almost every way!

I don't hate Meridians, but I wouldn't say I enjoy them either, they're noisy, rattly, uncomfortable, caustrophobic & there's hardly any seats.
I don’t hate them. I hate them in Standard they’re very nice in First though.

222s alright in standard. So comfortable seats too unlike HSTs.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I hate Engineereing works! 07/05/2018

This weekend was a bank holiday, and that means some engineering works are likely, but this usually means some minor alterations.
I had arranged to meet up with fishquinn, on the bank holiday Monday, since this was the only day we could both do for ages!

I then discovered there was a huge blockade at Slough, so I couldn't get a direct train to London.
If fishquinn could have done another weekend I definately wouldn't have travelled!

So I really had 2 options, either an hour long RRB to Hayes from Maidenhead, for an onward train to London Paddington.
Or get a SWR train to Waterloo.
I opted for the second option, the fastest way unfortunately was the direct 458 from Reading (aka the slow boat to China).
So I caught the 0746 service from Twyford to Reading, formed of 165110

DSC_0804 by litecactus, on Flickr

The station was very quiet at this time of day.

I arrived into Reading at 0754, so I had 4 minutes to get from Platform 12 - 4 for the 0758 service to Waterloo.
It was formed of a pair of 458s, 1 of which was an ex 460.
This was an extra service which was intially semi fast, fast to Wokingham and skipping Martin's Heron.
But it was still painfully slow, and after Staines it took up the Windsor path, calling additionally at at Ashford, Whitton, Putney & Vauxhall.
So my train arrived into Waterloo at 0920, almost 90 minutes after it left Reading!

I met up with fishquinn, and we caught a pair of winners 707014 & 707003 to Putney.
After a last minute platform alteration, and a sprint across the footbridge, we caught a pair of 458s to Clapham Junction, for winners 444030 & 444042 back to Waterloo.

DSC_0806 by litecactus, on Flickr

We then wandered over to Tesco for some supplies for Lunch, after which we walked to Waterloo east, to catch a lone 375801, which had no working toilets for the journey down to Hastings! Ouch!

DSC_0809 by litecactus, on Flickr

This was taken to East Croydon, since it was diverted via Redhill, because of the Lewisham blockade.

DSC_0812 by litecactus, on Flickr

We had about 30 minutes to kill before the next Thameslink train (reduced because of the Gatwick blockade)
We caught the Tram in a circular route via West Croydon.
However we underestimated how long this would take, so we ended up missing the Thameslink by 1 minute!

So we took plan B which was a pair of 377s that ran fast to London Victoria.
We encountered one of the infamous "tissue beggars" en route.

We then took the Viccy line up to Kings X, where some extra tickets were purchased.
The VTEC TVMs are hopeless, so we had to use the slightly less hopeless "travel centre" which is a very bad version of a ticket office!

We still had a long time to kill, so we caught winner 365539 to Finsbury Park.
The 365s are amazing in every way, except for the aircon! :smile:

We then caught 700009 back to Kings X, we were very thankful for the aircon!
The 700 seats aren't too bad, I found them a lot better than the 387 seats!

DSC_0814 by litecactus, on Flickr

The tickets we bought earlier were BZ6 returns to Stevenage (at just £5.50)
I chose do do this since I require virually all the VTEC powercars, and the 800s arrive in December, so time is running out to get them!
We used them on the 1308 towards York which had winner powercars 43312 & 43316

DSC_0815 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0819 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0823 by litecactus, on Flickr

After a bit of a fester we caught winners 43208 & 43309 back to KGX

DSC_0826 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0833 by litecactus, on Flickr

We then caught the 1508 back to Stevenage, however this was swapped from the 1435 LDS service so this was now a dreaded 91 (91122)!
The LDS now having the HST!

Ths was caught to Stevenage, where we bought some much needed drinks from the Tesco.
Winners 43251 & 43302 took us back to KGX.

DSC_0836 by litecactus, on Flickr

On the way, I noticed the fastest way back home was the 1705 off Waterloo to Basingstoke, however due to the delay on the HST this would be very tight.

However we made it with 5 minutes to spare!
It was a winner 444015 & 444028.
Fishquinn left me at Clapham junction, but I continued on to Basingstoke, which was very fun since it was winner track after Surbition, and 444s are surpisingly fun, reminding me of Mk3 coaches.

DSC_0839 by litecactus, on Flickr

My connection from Basingstoke was late, so I missed my train from Reading to Twyford. But I got 165117 from Basingstoke, which has had plug sockets & air con fitted!

After a 25 minute fester, 165105 took me home, though I was still glad I didn't travel via Staines!

Mileage: 250
Winners: 14
Ching: £16.70 + £5.50

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks for a really fun day. You're certainly right about the 444s being fun though, they're the best EMUs for comfort.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Weston-super-Nightmare 16/05/2018

My day started badly, the TVM was very grumpy and refused to give me my tickets, even when I tried every card! <(
The other TVM obliged with no issues, but I was a bit annoyed.
Then my train to Reading was delayed by 20 minutes because of a track fault near Acton.
No worries, as I left plenty of time to get my connection.

My train from Reading was also 20 minutes late! :rolleyes:
However winner 43018 was on the front! (with dud 43035 on the rear)
Normally this is one of the few HSTs left through Bristol, but due to the Newbury blockade there were quite a lot more out.
The journey to Weston was smooth.
However due to the delay, my time at Weston was cut short.

DSC_0846 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0849 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0853 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0856 by litecactus, on Flickr

I caught dud 166216 back to Bristol.
It was quite fun, as there was quite a distance between the stations allowing it to get up to a good speed!

DSC_0864 by litecactus, on Flickr

I had a bit of a wait here, so a brew was purchased at the excellent AMT coffee.

I then caught winner 43384 & dud 43321 to Bristol Parkway.

DSC_0885 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0889 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0892 by litecactus, on Flickr

Duds 43087 & 43098 took me back to Reading.

DSC_0898 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winners 387144 & 387169 took me back home.

Mileage: 211.65
Winners: 4
Ching: £31

nat67

Established Member

Thank you for saying that because you are totally right.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Another South Coast Adventure! 23/05/2018

The day started off at 9am, the TVMs are annoying when they refuse to offer you off-peak tickets until they become valid!
Which is very useful when you have a 0901 train to catch!

Dud 387138 and winner 387142 took me to Reading.
A quick walk over to platform 6, for 165105 to take me to Guildford.
It felt weird walking through Reading, but not getting a HST!

It was a quick journey to Guildford, as it was a Gatwick train there was a lot of luggage!

At Guildford I had 20 minutes to kill, which was great.

DSC_0905 by litecactus, on Flickr

I took a pair of 455s to Leatherhead (this was a trian to Waterloo via Epsom)

DSC_0903 by litecactus, on Flickr

The journey was actually quite pleasant, but it was a very empty train!
I had the whole carriage to myself until Bookham.
I sat in the motor coach obviously, for some brilliant motor thrash (especially with the Vossloh motors)

Leatherhead is a very pretty station.

DSC_0906 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winners 377603 & 377702 took me to Horsham via Ockley.

DSC_0909 by litecactus, on Flickr

The track quality on this section isn't very good, so it isn't a good idea to take a PNB, especially on a 377!
This train is supposed to have a guard, but I didn't see or hear one.

DSC_0910 by litecactus, on Flickr

A pair of 377s arrived on the Pompey & Bognor service, I joined the rear portion, which was 377429.

DSC_0911 by litecactus, on Flickr

I took this to Ford, along the pleasant Arun Valley line.
Along the way I encountered an OBS, I think I prefer these over the traditional guard.

DSC_0913 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winner 313215 took me 1 stop to Littlehampton.
If it wasn't for the green, I would have thought I was on Merseyrail.

DSC_0914 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0918 by litecactus, on Flickr

Littlehampton is ok, much better than the 'classic' seaside resorts of Blackpool, Great Yarmouth etc.
But not as nice as Pevensey, Tenby, West Kirby etc.

DSC_0921 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0924 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0923 by litecactus, on Flickr

It was back to the station for winner 313204 to take me to Chichester.

DSC_0932 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0933 by litecactus, on Flickr

377420 took me to Fareham.

DSC_0934 by litecactus, on Flickr

I had a bit of a wait here, but I did get to see the GWR Great Malvern to Brighton service.

DSC_0936 by litecactus, on Flickr

Winners 444035 & 444024 took me to Basingstoke via Eastleigh.

DSC_0940 by litecactus, on Flickr

I was very glad it was a 444, I think these are my favourite EMUs, they really do remind me of a Mk3 coach.

At Basingstoke, I skipped the 221, and instead went for 165111 (my favourite!), which took me to Reading.

Winners 387168 & 387171 took me back home.

Ching: £25
Winner Shacks: 27
Winners: 10
Mileage: 171.46

cactustwirly

Established Member
Although hellfire Class 444 is a nice fast non-stop run between Clapham & Basingstoke where it can get to top speed :)

Agreed, I did that a few weeks ago!
But Winchester to Basingstoke is still quite fun, especially the flyover to the west of
Basingstoke

cactustwirly

Established Member
A Day in Sunny Devon 30/05/2018

The day started in Twyford where I collected my many tickets (splitting my tickets at various points, given GWRs inability to offer any advances)

I took duds 387158 & 387161 to Reading.

Next I took yet more duds, 43017 & 43158 to Exeter St Davids.
The journey to Pewsey was fun as always, but the journey afterwards was a bit tedious!

DSC_0945 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0953 by litecactus, on Flickr

Exeter arrived soon enough, and after a bit of a wait I boarded winner 150126 which took me to Exmouth.
I was surprised to get it, as I had thought all of the /1s had gone to Northern.
The journey to Exmouth is quite pleasant, especially after Topsham where it runs along the Exe estruary.
However no Avocets were spotted this time.

DSC_0959 by litecactus, on Flickr

After a quick turnaround I took 126 back to Exeter.
The original plan was to stay on until Paignton to score shacks like Starcross.
But I changed my mind and went for the Torbay Express instead!
Formed of dud powercars 43131 & 43171

DSC_0961 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0966 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0967 by litecactus, on Flickr

The journey to Paignton is quite good, really liked the jointed track between Torquay & Paignton.

DSC_0969 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0971 by litecactus, on Flickr

At Paignton, I grabbed lunch from Tesco, and then had a quikc stroll to the seafront.
As you can see, it was really sunny! :rolleyes:

DSC_0973 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0976 by litecactus, on Flickr

It was back to the station, to watch the HST set arrive from Goodrington CS.
I took this back to Reading.
The journey was a bit of a drag after Taunton.
I did get some shots of the sea at Dawlish/Teignmouth.

DSC_0984 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0988 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0991 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0997 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0999 by litecactus, on Flickr

The train did get held up a bit after Newbury, which delayed us by about 8 minutes, luckily I still made the 387 back home.

Mileage: 362
Winners: 1
Ching: £40

ash39

Established Member
Exiledcumbrian & I were also on the HST out of Paignton that afternoon... if you saw two gents stuffing their faces with fish and chips, that was us!

I got some very similar pictures to you on the way down from the droplight of an XC HST. You're right, it was typical English seaside day out weather!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Exiledcumbrian & I were also on the HST out of Paignton that afternoon... if you saw two gents stuffing their faces with fish and chips, that was us!

I got some very similar pictures to you on the way down from the droplight of an XC HST. You're right, it was typical English seaside day out weather!

Oh were you in coach D?
There were two Yorkshireman eating fish and chips in that coach

ash39

Established Member
Haha, yes that was us but I'm not sure exiledcumbrian will appreciate the Yorkshireman label ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Haha, yes that was us but I'm not sure exiledcumbrian will appreciate the Yorkshireman label ;)

Haha, I only heard a Yorkshire accent.
I was the tall teenager towards the rear of the coach

cactustwirly

Established Member
'All Line Rover' Day 1 18/06/2018

I start the day boarding a pair of 387s to Reading, where I change, for dud 43147 & winner 43070 which took me to London Paddington.

DSC_0003 by litecactus, on Flickr

I then take a busy Circle line train to St Pancras International.
Lunch is grabbed from here, and I also meet up with my travelling companion @fishquinn.

We then check in for our Eurostar departure, you may realise we weren't on "All Line rovers", we're on something 1000 times more awesome and about half the price!

Anyway we realise that our Eurostar reservation changes from coach 6 to 5, suggesting that our train was swapped from the booked 374 to a 373.

We board unrefurbished winners 373223 & 373224

DSC_0005 by litecactus, on Flickr

The journey to Brussels was quite fast, pretty much 186mph all the way except the channel tunnel, which felt really long!

Arrival in Brussels was on time at 1405 (local time) so we had 20 minutes to make our connection to Frankfurt.

DSC_0012 by litecactus, on Flickr

This was in the hands of am ICE 3M, which was aptly named "Koeln" (ie Cologne which we would stop at en-route)

DSC_0013 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0014 by litecactus, on Flickr

ICE 3s are so much better than Pendolinos and IETs etc.
The journey was quite smooth until Aachen, where we lost a bit of time due to congestion, which we never made up.
Between Koeln and Frankfurt, the train used a dedicated high speed line hitting 186mph, which is more fun in an ICE 3 than in a 373.
Arrival into Frankfurt was 15L, we still had 20 minutes to connect so I got dinner, before boarding an ICE 1 towards Munich.

DSC_0020 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0021 by litecactus, on Flickr

This took a slightly slower route via Stuttgart, the scenery after Stuttgart was very good, with views of Hills and forests (edge of the black forest?)

DSC_0022 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0027 by litecactus, on Flickr

After Ulm it was slow and tedious, and I was glad to alight at Munich at 2130.

DSC_0030 by litecactus, on Flickr

We headed downstairs to get an S Bahn train to Moosach for our Hotel.
The BR423s on the S Bahn trains are like 700s with 96ts traction motors!

Anyway the Hotel was very close to the station, with a good view over the railway from our room...

DSC_0032 by litecactus, on Flickr

Mileage: approx 800 miles
Ching: 5 day interrail (£165) + £30 for Eurostar

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a decent first day- Twyford to Muenchen however is one hell of a trek in a day!

I'm trying to think where I might match that next week...

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like a decent first day- Twyford to Muenchen however is one hell of a trek in a day!

I'm trying to think where I might match that next week...

Don't I know it! I think next time I'll be flying...

Status
Not open for further replies.