• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The sticking point at present with the Carmarthen route is a platform issue at Ferryside so once that's resolved (which I've no idea when that will be) then they'll be able to begin.
Presumably next lot of engineering works there should resolve it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Last thing I have to say. I gave up giving info about the new Northern fleet tender a while back due to a poster who works for the same company as me essentially telling me I don’t know my own job and that they knew better and could basically plan better. Never took me up on the offer of a day shadowing me unsurprisingly so they could see the various aspects of planning for themselves to see if they could actually do it.

Now that I’ve been shown to be correct they aren’t commenting on the post and I haven’t commented either even though I could put a hell of a lot of speculation on there about the tender to bed. Some is quite close to what is happening, most of it is way off the mark. People are interested, I’ve got most of the answers but due to one posters previous attitude I ain’t enlightening anyone even though I know a lot more about the plans than probably anybody on here.

I think it’s time to stop giving helpful info out and just to let people do it through official channels instead and probably end up without the answers that they would probably otherwise get on here.

As you say, we do this in our own time, no longer feel it’s worth the effort of trying to help.
I enjoyed reading the information you snd other railway staff have given us. Shame others aren't as appreciated.

Certainly I'd love to spend a day.seeing the work control and train planners have to do just the type of thing Id love to be doing

The sticking point at present with the Carmarthen route is a platform issue at Ferryside so once that's resolved (which I've no idea when that will be) then they'll be able to begin.
Any idea when they are going to be deployed on swanline services?

Jez

Established Member
I enjoyed reading the information you snd other railway staff have given us. Shame others aren't as appreciated.

Certainly I'd love to spend a day.seeing the work control and train planners have to do just the type of thing Id love to be doing

Id love to spend a day at TFW too seeing the various roles they do but I imagine it isn't something that they would allow.

I was thinking the same thing about the 2 afternoon Swanline's which are still being split at Central to go onwards to Chester. If the issue is Ferryside this wouldn't stop those 2 services. There must also be an issue running 197s to Swansea/Llanelli too.

Realistically can we expect services to Carmarthen/Milford operated by 197s from the September timetable change?

sd0733

Established Member
Presumably next lot of engineering works there should resolve it?
Shouldn't take that. Its a platform issue so most likely be done while trains are running

Afraid I'm not sure. The plan was to get them on the through services first though so it won't be just yet, obviously the plans can change though. Anything that stops at Swanline stations as part of a longer journey/diagram has the best chance, the Cardiff-Swansea locals are a long way down the introduction list.

Realistically can we expect services to Carmarthen/Milford operated by 197s from the September timetable change?
Carmarthen, potentially it could be but at least some workings are likely to be STP'd as 15x/175 diagrams for a short while.
Milford and anything west of Carmarthen, personally I'd be very suprised to see anything down there in service that soon. There's lots of work going on behind the scenes to make it happen though so there's still a small hope!

Last edited:

Bob Price

197004, 009 and 104 on 3Z98 from Chester to Carmarthen due through Cardiff at 14.30 ish, Carmarthen at 1700 ish. Interesting move. 3XXX code would suggest a test run but a 7 car move will be interesting

Jez

Established Member
Shouldn't take that. Its a platform issue so most likely be done while trains are running

Afraid I'm not sure. The plan was to get them on the through services first though so it won't be just yet, obviously the plans can change though. Anything that stops at Swanline stations as part of a longer journey/diagram has the best chance, the Cardiff-Swansea locals are a long way down the introduction list.
Think its the 2 that run through to Chester that are meant to be 197. The ones that shuttle between Swansea and Cardiff are not planned to move to 197 until May 2024 I think.

The_Train

Established Member
Because you have an interest in the railway industry?
I have an interest in loco's and units and logging what I've seen/ridden on. I quite like learning other little bits and pieces but not to the point that I would actively job shadow someone in the industry when I have no interest in it as a career path.
What would you say to someone who was interested in the travel industry and wanted to come and see what your working day was like?
I'd say if they want to waste their time for something that is not going to have any bearing on the important aspects of their life ie earning a wage, then crack on. I have done job shadowing within my company because that helps me in my current job role. Going out and job shadowing in an industry you don't want to work in seems pointless to me, especially when it would impact my own earnings.

Jez

Established Member
Whats happened with the 197s on 1549 from Cardiff today? Its showing as a 150 on RTT!

The same unit that did 1300 Milford to Cardiff apparently!

sd0733

Established Member
Whats happened with the 197s on 1549 from Cardiff today? Its showing as a 150 on RTT!

The same unit that did 1300 Milford to Cardiff apparently!
They've stayed on Canton for some reason. 1930 from Manchester will be the 150, 2030 67+Mk4 vice 197 to Crewe then looks to be cancelled beyond.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I've seen a class 197 at Carmarthen station so I'm assuming the issue at Ferryside is an ASDO or stepping distance problem and not physical clearances (so presumably non-stop training runs are being carried out)?

sd0733

Established Member
I've seen a class 197 at Carmarthen station so I'm assuming the issue at Ferryside is an ASDO or stepping distance problem and not physical clearances (so presumably non-stop training runs are being carried out)?
Yes it's the platform itself as they can run through just not in passenger service. Not sure of the exact reason, just known the issue is there.

paddyb6

197004, 009 and 104 on 3Z98 from Chester to Carmarthen due through Cardiff at 14.30 ish, Carmarthen at 1700 ish. Interesting move. 3XXX code would suggest a test run but a 7 car move will be interesting
Just as confirmation, I saw the sets passing at Abergavenny, it was 014 rather than 104.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When did 049 start if you know please? Thanks.
It’s not so much that I know when it first worked a passenger service, but it’s accepted and thus in the common pool so has just as much chance of any other serviceable 197 of being allocated now.

sd0733

Established Member
I believe Its only been used for training so far and hasn't been in passenger service yet.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
P-Coding strikes again!
0633 from Cardiff Central to Holyhead will terminate at Chester tomorrow as a heads up for anyone travelling.

Last night, both the 1930 and 2030 from Manchester to Cardiff were single 150s in lieu of the booked 197.

Jez

Established Member
P-Coding strikes again!
0633 from Cardiff Central to Holyhead will terminate at Chester tomorrow as a heads up for anyone travelling.

Last night, both the 1930 and 2030 from Manchester to Cardiff were single 150s in lieu of the booked 197.
I noticed yesterday the 1549 CDF was a pair of 150s rather than the booked 197s. And today its showing as a single 150! Not great so far considering the point of splitting the service is so 197s operate it from Cardiff.

Spekejunction

Had two trips on TfW last week
Tuesday
10.10 Crewe to Ludlow Double Dogbox
17.20 Craven Arms to Crewe 150/2 paired with Dogbox.
Thursday
09.50 Chester to Bangor Class 175 (Started at Chester the train from Cardiff was cancelled)
19.07 Bangor to Chester Class 197.
175 still the most comfortable.
197 was great .Guard commented to Avanti Driver passenger on wasted space for catering and bikes..
150/2 was OK leg room good
Dogboxes ugh !
Ended week with lunch at restaurant outside Nantwich which has great view of line to Shrewsbury
Over 3 hour lunch ..Full House !
Dogboxes,
150/2
67 plus Mk iv
Bonus Network Rail Colas Yellow H S T inspection train..

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Went to try out a 197 yesterday. 1345 from Manchester Piccadilly got all the way to Oxford Road before breaking down. Then proceeded to cause delay on the Chat Moss Line as it limped back, presumably, to Chester, causing me to revise my plans for the rest of the day.

(Nevertheless I did manage to acheive the objectives of travelling on a 769, a 331, two 230s and two 777s, all of which behaved impeccably (although I was only able to ride the second 230 because it was running 30 minutes late).

Jez

Established Member
According to RTT the 1549 Cardiff to Manchester has been amended to show 197042 and 197021 are working it now!

Fletcj10

According to RTT the 1549 Cardiff to Manchester has been amended to show 197042 and 197021 are working it now!
When are they due to be rolled out full time to the route? Having used 153s over the last month these will be extremely welcome!