• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Yeah so the 153 9xx’s should never be in service in its own, it should always be coupled to one with a PRM toilet. They do make it out by themselves but that is non intentional (I hope).
Except on Cardiff Bay shuttles, and Radyr - Coryton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Ahh thanks for the info (I’m north so never know much about what goes on down south) :) similar thing with the tram trains having no toilet ?
Yes that's right. Without going off topic, but to answer your question, TfW's thing with the trams is that every circa 15 mins there will be a station with toilet facilities.

Jez

Established Member
I finally managed to catch 197004 today. Significant for me as it was the very first 197 in passenger service almost a year ago now on 14th November 2022.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I finally managed to catch 197004 today. Significant for me as it was the very first 197 in passenger service almost a year ago now on 14th November 2022.
Trip Planning and Reports has the perfect thread to report that in: 2023 New Haulages :D I recommend it as it will also prevent notifications for this thread going off without any actual updates occurring.

animationmilo

My first 197 was 197011 on 12 December 2022. Chester to Liverpool and back

Jez

Established Member
Trip Planning and Reports has the perfect thread to report that in: 2023 New Haulages :D I recommend it as it will also prevent notifications for this thread going off without any actual updates occurring.

It was only because 004 was the very first one in service but I did post in the other thread you mentioned as well which I generally do now rather than this thread..

Bob Price

Interesting to see 197101 on the 1W54 from Carmarthen to Manchester today. Is this the first time a three car has been on the Marches? Seen plenty of two car ones.

Jez

Established Member
Interesting to see 197101 on the 1W54 from Carmarthen to Manchester today. Is this the first time a three car has been on the Marches? Seen plenty of two car ones.
Dont think its the first time a 3 car has. But its rare compared to a 2 car.

Caaardiff

Plenty of 3 cars been on Marches. More so on Cardiff - Holyhead but there have been a few on Cardiff - Manchester.
There's now 8 3 cars in service with 197109 due to enter service soon.

Jez

Established Member
Plenty of 3 cars been on Marches. More so on Cardiff - Holyhead but there have been a few on Cardiff - Manchester.
There's now 8 3 cars in service with 197109 due to enter service soon.
I could be wrong but i think a 3 car has run to Carmarthen in service? Certainly has been to Swansea.

Mostly on the Holyheads though as you say which I think are booked for 3 cars.

Caaardiff

I could be wrong but i think a 3 car has run to Carmarthen in service? Certainly has been to Swansea.

Mostly on the Holyheads though as you say which I think are booked for 3 cars.
They've done Carmarthen - Cardiff and Manchester, Swansea - Chester, Cardiff - Chester/Holyhead and Manchester.

Jez

Established Member
They've done Carmarthen - Cardiff and Manchester, Swansea - Chester, Cardiff - Chester/Holyhead and Manchester.
Infact I see there is a 3 car on the way to Carmarthen at the moment (197112 to be exact!)

sd0733

Established Member
197116, one of the First class fitted sets was delivered to Crewe today.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I wonder if the gaps in service on rhe 17th at Haverfordwest. Services on the app as 6:20 11:20 and 17:20 to Carmarthen is to test 197s.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fabulous, hopefully we can see this out on the network soon enough!

Great news indeed, the countdown to a 197 with First/Business Class is absolutely on!

It's been a little while since my last journey on the railway, nearly 2 weeks actually, so have the announcements been fixed on 197s yet? Or are we still enduring the incredibly long gap between announcements?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Great news indeed, the countdown to a 197 with First/Business Class is absolutely on!

It's been a little while since my last journey on the railway, nearly 2 weeks actually, so have the announcements been fixed on 197s yet? Or are we still enduring the incredibly long gap between announcements?

The gap is still there, as is the overkill in announcements. A minor gripe admittedly.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The gap is still there, as is the overkill in announcements. A minor gripe admittedly.

At least it doesn't sound quite as bad as the angry-sounding guy on Northern! I much prefer the female voice often found on their 158s if not others. Putting up with that new male voice, ugh, it's enough to persuade me to look for alternative modes of transport when in the north!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
At least it doesn't sound quite as bad as the angry-sounding guy on Northern! I much prefer the female voice often found on their 158s if not others. Putting up with that new male voice, ugh, it's enough to persuade me to look for alternative modes of transport when in the north!

Yeah I know what you mean. I’ve noticed over the last few weeks it has changed slightly and the first bit is a “This is the Northern service to” and then his voice kicks in. Don’t know why but when it was all him his accent made “to” sound like “tuh” so they changed it?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The long gap betwen the 'tuh' and the station name is a bit frustrating, and sounds like an after-thought. However I'll be going very off-topic if I carry on that thought!

On another thread, the discrepency between announcements on the 197s says 'Newport Gwent' but 'Newport South Wales' on the screens. That definitely needs attending to!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The long gap betwen the 'tuh' and the station name is a bit frustrating, and sounds like an after-thought. However I'll be going very off-topic if I carry on that thought!

On another thread, the discrepency between announcements on the 197s says 'Newport Gwent' but 'Newport South Wales' on the screens. That definitely needs attending to!
Newport Gwent always annoys me. It’s so unnecessary. It’s not going to be Newport Essex, is it.

Envoy

Established Member
The County of Gwent ceased to exist long ago. I thought it would be obvious as to which Newport the train was about to arrive at.

Envoy

Established Member
However is still used as a ceremonial county same as dyfed and mid Glamorgan.
The health service in Wales still thinks that the County of South Glamorgan (Cardiff & what is now called Vale of Glamorgan) still exists.