• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The health service in Wales still thinks that the County of South Glamorgan (Cardiff & what is now called Vale of Glamorgan) still exists.
Not uncommon for wales we seem to use old and new counties interchangeably

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
i agree the Newport Gwent thing is silly. On the 175 it never said Newport Gwent, just Newport as do annoucements at stations. However ive noticed some departure screens put in brackets either Gwent or South Wales after Newport.

How do they manage with Whitchurch as there are 2 of those on the TFW network (not travelled on a 197 all the way from Cardiff to Manchester yet) , although im aware that 197s wont run to Whitchurch Cardiff.

Dai Corner

Established Member
i agree the Newport Gwent thing is silly. On the 175 it never said Newport Gwent, just Newport as do annoucements at stations. However ive noticed some departure screens put in brackets either Gwent or South Wales after Newport.

How do they manage with Whitchurch as there are 2 of those on the TFW network (not travelled on a 197 all the way from Cardiff to Manchester yet) , although im aware that 197s wont run to Whitchurch Cardiff.
Also Garth (Bridgend) and Garth (Powys)

Jez

Established Member
Also Garth (Bridgend) and Garth (Powys)
Yes true I forgot about them, although neither should have 197s on a regular basis anyway.

Which reminds me speaking of Garth on the Maesteg line, wasnt it said last December from this December 197s would run to Maesteg, Cheltenham and Ebbw Vale on a temporary basis until the 231s could be moved from core valley lines. There seems to be some confusion whether this is still to happen. I was under the impression it was happening to replace some the 153s going off lease but it seems like that isnt the case now.

Apparently 197109 has entered service today, just read on a facebook 197 group. Working on Llandudno to Manchester. So thats a bit of progress.

sd0733

Established Member
Yes true I forgot about them, although neither should have 197s on a regular basis anyway.
Although Newport in Essex doesnt see too many 197s or TFW trains!!
The Gwent suffix does seem rather odd to be honest, not seen it called that anywhere else for a long time, it's always either plain Newport or Newport (South Wales) on pretty much all other systems.

Apparently 197109 has entered service today, just read on a facebook 197 group. Working on Llandudno to Manchester. So thats a bit of prprogress.
It has, first working 06:13 Llandudno Jcn- Llandudno this morning.

Sets are taking on average being accepted every 10 days so by Xmas the remaining 'standard' (non-ertms/non first class) fleet should all being well, all be accepted. Believe there's just 005, 102, 103, 107 left of that batch now all of which are at Crewe/on mileage accumulation being readied.

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
They might do it the way RTT does, Whitchurch (Glamorgan/Hampshire/Shropshire)
1699520632400.png

A search on RTT for "Whitchurch" showing 3 versions, listed as Whitcurch (Glamorgan), Whitcurch (Hampshire) and Whitcurch (Shropshire)

St. Paddy

Although Newport in Essex doesnt see too many 197s or TFW trains!!
The Gwent suffix does seem rather odd to be honest, not seen it called that anywhere else for a long time, it's always either plain Newport or Newport (South Wales) on pretty much all other systems.

It has, first working 06:13 Llandudno Jcn- Llandudno this morning.

Sets are taking on average being accepted every 10 days so by Xmas the remaining 'standard' (non-ertms/non first class) fleet should all being well, all be accepted. Believe there's just 005, 102, 103, 107 left of that batch now all of which are at Crewe/on mileage accumulation being readied.
Didn’t you mention 024 being tested as well because the ETCS equipment from that unit is in 003?

sd0733

Established Member
Didn’t you mention 024 being tested as well because the ETCS equipment from that unit is in 003?
Yes, 024 did have its ERTMS equipment put in 003 for testing and at one time was going to be put in service as a standard unit. But all seems to have gone quiet with both of them so I'm not 100% what's going on with them. Neither have been in the area CAF use for commissioning at Crewe so it doesn't seem like it's anywhere close to being commissioned at the moment.

St. Paddy

Yes, 024 did have its ERTMS equipment put in 003 for testing and at one time was going to be put in service as a standard unit. But all seems to have gone quiet with both of them so I'm not 100% what's going on with them. Neither have been in the area CAF use for commissioning at Crewe so it doesn't seem like it's anywhere close to being commissioned at the moment.
Ok thanks

GWVillager

I believe they just say “Whitchurch”, at least for the Shropshire station. I’m not 100% sure, though.

Where is the area in Crewe that CAF use for commissioning?
Does it look like there will be a long gap before any of the final 2 batches are commissioned?

sd0733

Established Member
Where is the area in Crewe that CAF use for commissioning?
Does it look like there will be a long gap before any of the final 2 batches are commissioned?
They normally use a couple of the roads in the Carriage sheds ad they've also got pits there for underframe checks.

I honestly couldnt say for sure but now the 1st class ones are being delivered it would seem likely they'll just follow the other 3 cars through.
The ERTMS sets will AFAIk be last though.

wls1

1H82 06:43 Llandudno - Manchester Airport appears to have been a 5 car from Chester for a couple of days this week, is this the case and is this permanent? 011 & 109 today

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
1H62 06:43 Llandudno - Manchester Airport appears to have been a 5 car from Chester for a couple of days this week, is this the case and is this permanent? 011 & 109 today
It's a 5 car Diagram now from Chester so if there's enough units to cover it should be permanent.

The_Train

Established Member
1H62 06:43 Llandudno - Manchester Airport appears to have been a 5 car from Chester for a couple of days this week, is this the case and is this permanent? 011 & 109 today
Anybody know when 109 entered service please?
I have this one as still being at Donnington :lol:

sd0733

Established Member
It’s all coming together now! If punctuality clears up TfW will have a very slick operation.

Does 197116 have a yellow band for first class, by the way?
Fingers crossed!

No it has no 1st class branding internally or externally yet from what I could see.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Last I heard we should see 5 car Marches 197s and Mk4s by the end of the year if all goes to plan.
Lovely stuff.

Although 197045 is still yet to be used of course.

sd0733

Established Member
Lovely stuff.

Although 197045 is still yet to be used of course.
No, rather disappeared without a trace that one. It did go back to Crewe but doesn't seem to be there now so presume it's back in Chester.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There is a Class 197 sat in all of Platforms 1, 2 and 3 consecutively at Central, now that they’ve become very common indeed.

However, it would seem 2 carriage 197s to Carmarthen just aren’t enough…

IMG_3366.jpeg
(197 at CDF)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
However, it would seem 2 carriage 197s to Carmarthen just aren’t enough…
Somewhat depends how far people are going. If the train has standing passengers for one stop it is understandable. Further and I agree it is more difficult.

One point that is sometimes forgotten is that trains are having progressively fewer seats fitted, so more people have to stand. A 2-car 158 has 138 seats. A 2-car 197 has 116 seats, so that is 22 extra people standing before the overcrowding of either is taken into account.

That said, getting more 3-car 197s into service is very much needed it would appear.