• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cafe on Platform 6 Crewe

wyddfa

It’s difficult to imagine a more depressing place: a motley collection of light fittings that haven’t been cleaned in years hang from ceiling tiles stained from water leaks.
An odd collection of tables and chairs, some not even broken, host uncollected plastic cups and plates. Unappealing ancient advertisements adorn the walls, while the peeling paint and beeping from the gambling machines all add to the atmosphere. It’s all a bit “provincial fin de siècle Soviet.”
The most depressing thing? Nobody cares. Nobody in management gives a flying *uck.
How the staff stay cheerful and helpful serving in this depressing place is remarkable.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That's just like reading a 'one out of five star' review on TripAdvisor! And one star being somewhat generous. ;)

GardenRail

It’s difficult to imagine a more depressing place: a motley collection of light fittings that haven’t been cleaned in years hang from ceiling tiles stained from water leaks.
An odd collection of tables and chairs, some not even broken, host uncollected plastic cups and plates. Unappealing ancient advertisements adorn the walls, while the peeling paint and beeping from the gambling machines all add to the atmosphere. It’s all a bit “provincial fin de siècle Soviet.”
The most depressing thing? Nobody cares. Nobody in management gives a flying *uck.
How the staff stay cheerful and helpful serving in this depressing place is remarkable.
Suits Crewe spot on :D

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's not actually much better in the Upper Crust on P5.
And the Upper Crust at Lime St is simply revolting.
It's hard to say if the state of these places is down to the outlet (SSP) or the station operator (NR ultimately).
The Costa outlets on stations are markedly better run.

Nym

Established Member
And the Upper Crust at Lime St is simply revolting.
It's hard to say if the state of these places is down to the outlet (SSP) or the station operator (NR ultimately).
They usually are, but they serve Costa products so that rules out edibility…

takno

Established Member
The Costa Outlets are largely run by the same company as the Upper Crusts, and quite commonly share staff. If there's a difference in how run down they are it's probably because the Costas will have been opened slightly more recently, and may have been given the better spots as an "upmarket brand".

MP393

That’s just been refurbished and reopened recently as a “Cafe Local”. It’s still an SSP overpriced same old same old but it’s a lot brighter than it was and is at least much more appealing than the platform 6 alternative. The waiting room on the Pl5 is a much better environment too

BeijingDave

If you don't like it vote with your feet, no-one's forcing you in there.
This is only partially true when referring to things like railway stations or motorway services concessions, which are often a monopoly or oligopoly of overpriced, cr*p places serving people who have no other choice.

12C

In a weird sort of way I quite like the nostalgia of these dilapidated SSP cafes, just because they remind me of good times bashing 37s, 47s and electrics around Crewe in the 90s/00s!

75A

Established Member
This is only partially true when referring to things like railway stations or motorway services concessions, which are often a monopoly or oligopoly of overpriced, cr*p places serving people who have no other choice.
Wife and I regularly make the 1000 mile round trip to Santa Pod (Northants), we take our own supplies and only use the M6 services for pe.ing.

Halwynd

In a weird sort of way I quite like the nostalgia of these dilapidated SSP cafes, just because they remind me of good times bashing 37s, 47s and electrics around Crewe in the 90s/00s!

I know what you mean... it didn't seem much at the time, but queuing up with a tray then heading to the microwave set-up (adjacent the slot machines) where you could explode your jacket potato or nuke a brunch muffin does bring the nostalgic feelings back.

Probably sounds strange, but as well as the trains I wish I'd taken more 'niche' pictures of the wider railway back in the day.

I'm heading through Crewe at the weekend so I might just pop my head in and have a look for old times sake...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm heading through Crewe at the weekend so I might just pop my head in and have a look for old times sake...
Seems like it won't have changed too much since last you were there, even if that wasn't any time recently. :rolleyes:

childwallblues

Established Member
You do not have to use the Upper Crust at Lime Street - there are plenty of other outlets on the station including Wethersspoons which opens at 0600.

I'll often pop in there when I'm changing at Crewe. I really don't see the problem with the place - it's fine as it is.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'll often pop in there when I'm changing at Crewe. I really don't see the problem with the place - it's fine as it is.
other than it being expensive, run down, lacking a decent selection of products, having an "interesting clientele and being at a generally grotty station where not much happens it is totally fine!

Llandudno

Established Member
Crewe station is crying out for a micropub with a decent selection of real ales and wine. Throw in a few ham/cheese cobs and pork pies and the like and it would make a killing!

All the pubs within 15 minutes walk away from the station are dire!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Crewe station is crying out for a micropub with a decent selection of real ales and wine. Throw in a few ham/cheese cobs and pork pies and the like and it would make a killing!

I've not really explored the pubs in the vicinity (had a pint over the road in the hotel a few years ago).

But I agree, a tap type hostelry would be ideal

Trackman

Established Member
Not changed at Crewe for a few years, is (or was) the café on P6 a Pumpkin? I do remember last time I went they served beer.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Ebeneezers isnt that far?

Fermiboson

Perhaps a more important problem is that often on the P6 cafe you can’t hear the manual announcements clearly - and there’s nowhere to find a departure board. Having changed there maybe four or five times in the last two months, I still can’t figure out where to find information and have had to walk circles around the station, including a part where the directions board for “information” points you into the cafe.

When it comes to station amenities, there’s definitely worse, and Crewe is just not really a big place relative to the size/amount of services its station gets as an important rail junction.