• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calculation of one-way excess to first class when TOC-specific fares exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

We have an off-peak day return from Crewe to Liverpool next month bought using a Two-Together railcard for £7.20 each.

We will be travelling to Liverpool on London Midland and back on Virgin. I want to excess the return leg to first class.

Relevant fares (with railcard) are:

Off-peak Day Return (Standard) = £7.20
Anytime Day Return (Standard, VT only) = £8.40
Anytime Day Return (Standard) = £10.50

Anytime Day Single (Standard, VT only) = £7.05
Anytime Day Single (Standard) = £8.80
Anytime Day Single (First, VT only) = £7.80
Anytime Day Single (First) = £9.70

Can the VT-only fares be used when calculating the two differences?
If so, do I have to excess after taking the outbound on LM?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Firstly excess to the relevant Anytime return then excess the return portion to 1st by paying half the difference between the Anytime return & the 1st. As you have travelled out by LM I feel you should not use the VT only fares but that is only my opinion you can but ask.........

1) First excess: £10.50 - £7.20 = £3.30

2) Second excess: (£19.40 - £10.50)/2 = £4.45

3) Total excess: £7.75 ea.

4) Total paid pp: £14.95

OR

1) SDS: £7.15

2) FDS (VT ONLY): £7.80

3) Total paid pp: £14.95

;)

MKB

Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand your step 2. I thought step 2 was meant to be the difference between the first and standard anytime day single fares?

So, if I want to be able to return to Crewe by any operator:

- first difference = £3.30
- second difference = £9.70 - £8.80 = £0.90

...making a total per person excess of £4.20.

Is that wrong?

My question was, if I only want to return via Virgin, can I instead use the VT-only first class day single fare in the calculation? So:

- first difference = £3.30
- second difference = £7.80 - £8.80 = minus £1.00

...making a total per person excess of either £3.30 or £2.30, depending on how negative excesses are handled here.

Last edited:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand your step 2. I thought step 2 was meant to be the difference between the first and standard anytime day single fares?

A STD to 1st upgrade for one leg of a return journey is worked out at half the difference of the anytime appropriate return fares.

Re. your second point about the VT ONLY fares - I am not sure on this but if you originally hold an any permitted ticket I think you may only be able to get an excess to another any permitted ticket as you could've travelled with any operator on your outward journey. That said it would be in Virgin's financial interest to allow the excess to their own fare - I assume you would do this at Crewe Travel Centre which IIRC is run by Virgin. Again I'm not sure about the above as it is possible to excess to TOC ONLY fares in other circumstances? If you don't ask you don't get......

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Firstly excess to the relevant Anytime return then excess the return portion to 1st by paying half the difference between the Anytime return & the 1st. As you have travelled out by LM I feel you should not use the VT only fares but that is only my opinion you can but ask.........

Last I checked, it was the difference between the price already paid and the sum of the appropriate Single fares (or the difference between the Returns where that's cheaper). At least that's what the Fares & Ticketing Guide shows, I'd have to double check KnowledgeBase when I'm next in.

In this case, doing it in a single step makes no difference to the result compared to your two step excess, but it potentially could for some journeys.

Price originally paid: £7.20
Off-Peak Day Single Crewe - Liverpool: £7.15
First Class Anytime Day Single Liverpool - Crewe (VWC only): £7.80
Single Excess: £7.75

Comparing the Returns results in a £12.20 Excess (to the £19.40 Any Permitted First Class Anytime Return).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My understanding of this type of excess aligns with CyrusWuff's post above, but this one has always been a bit contentious, as I am aware of at least four different approaches taken by guards of different TOCs from previous stories on the forum, and they all had their own merits. Which one will be used on the day is unfortunately impossible to tell.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm in tomorrow so will ask at both my local and home depot stations to see how the booking offices up here would do it. I know I'll get many different answers asking fellow guards.......

razor89

Last I checked, it was the difference between the price already paid and the sum of the appropriate Single fares (or the difference between the Returns where that's cheaper). At least that's what the Fares & Ticketing Guide shows, I'd have to double check KnowledgeBase when I'm next in.

In this case, doing it in a single step makes no difference to the result compared to your two step excess, but it potentially could for some journeys.

Comparing the Returns results in a £12.20 Excess (to the £19.40 Any Permitted First Class Anytime Return).

This is how my TIS automatically calculates it with the exception that it defaults to the VT only Off-Peak Day Single Crewe - Liverpool at £7.05, resulting in an excess to pay of £7.65.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Whilst not saying that you are wrong, just thinking about this for a wee moment I can see a flaw in this process. Viz.:-

If we take the original price at £7.20 and in theory the passenger then wants to upgrade their outward journey to 1st - so we add £7.75. Giving us a running total of £14.95.

Now if the passenger enjoys 1st so much on the outward that they now wish to upgrade again on the return so we add another £7.75 to give us a final total of £22.70 - which would result in them paying more than the 1st Anytime return of £19.40.

Confused.com?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Whilst not saying that you are wrong, just thinking about this for a wee moment I can see a flaw in this process. Viz.:-

If we take the original price at £7.20 and in theory the passenger then wants to upgrade their outward journey to 1st - so we add £7.75. Giving us a running total of £14.95.

Now if the passenger enjoys 1st so much on the outward that they now wish to upgrade again on the return so we add another £7.75 to give us a final total of £22.70 - which would result in them paying more than the 1st Anytime return of £19.40.

Confused.com?

Should the passenger wish to excess both directions, the 1st Return fare should be the basis of the excess, not the Single fares.

An excess fare does not replace the return fare with two singles, it simply changes one fare into another for an additional fee. This is where so many theories about Excess Fares on this forum go so badly wrong.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This is very interesting indeed. So it would be policy to use the single in one direction only?

Image someone with a Manchester Airport <> Leeds SOR who'd like to travel First in one direction only. There's quite the difference depending on which method is chosen.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
This is very interesting indeed. So it would be policy to use the single in one direction only?

Image someone with a Manchester Airport <> Leeds SOR who'd like to travel First in one direction only. There's quite the difference depending on which method is chosen.

Try to think of it as what the clerk would have issued had you asked them for what you wanted in the first place.

Return in standard class only = standard class return (unless singles are cheaper).
Return in first class only = first class return (unless singles are cheaper).
Return with first class in one direction only = Two singles (unless a return is cheaper).

MKB

Many thanks for the replies. That's appreciated. However, I'm more confused than when I started.

The official public policy is here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46557.aspx

It's difficult to read, because they've missed out paragraph marks and some full stops, but the relevant bit says:

Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak - simply pay the difference between the fare paid and the Standard Anytime Return PLUS the difference between the Standard Anytime Single and the First Anytime Single fare.

According to that, the excess is:

(Standard Anytime Return - Off-Peak Return) + (First Anytime Single - Standard Anytime Single)

which, ignoring VT-only fares, is:

(£10.50 - £7.20) + (£9.70 - £8.80) = £3.30 + £0.90 = £4.20

None of the respondents seem to be advocating that method, so is National Rail wrong? Am I misunderstanding something?

Reason077

You know, someone should make a web app to calculate the cost of 1st upgrade excess fares.

It sounds like it would be a good use of the brfares.com developer API!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Many thanks for the replies. That's appreciated. However, I'm more confused than when I started.

The official public policy is here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46557.aspx

It's difficult to read, because they've missed out paragraph marks and some full stops, but the relevant bit says:

According to that, the excess is:

(Standard Anytime Return - Off-Peak Return) + (First Anytime Single - Standard Anytime Single)

which, ignoring VT-only fares, is:

(£10.50 - £7.20) + (£9.70 - £8.80) = £3.30 + £0.90 = £4.20

None of the respondents seem to be advocating that method, so is National Rail wrong? Am I misunderstanding something?

Some pages on the public NRES website can hold information that is as much as three years out of date, so I wouldn't call anything on there official.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
But it's 'the official source'. Or is that only when it suits the TOCs?

I can't say I can recall the TOCs claiming that (though they might recommend utilising the journey planner), seen plenty on here claim it when it suits though.

NRES said:
Agreement between the user and TRAIN INFORMATION SERVICES LIMITED

National Rail Enquiries is the journey planning website of TRAIN INFORMATION SERVICES LIMITED ("TISL"), a company registered in England (No. 07258491), whose registered office is at:

2nd Floor
200 Aldersgate Street
London
EC1A 4HD.

This Website is offered as a service to you, the user, by TISL. Your use of this Web Site constitutes your agreement to all terms, conditions and notices contained on the Web Site. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions then you are not authorised to use this Web Site.

Liability disclaimer

This Web Site is for the provision of information only and where selected by you, for the provision of the NRE Services. TISL shall use reasonable care and skill in carrying out the services contained in this Web Site. Additional terms and conditions apply in respect of the NRE Services.

TISL uses reasonable endeavours to check the accuracy of information published or made available on this Web Site. You should note however that TISL does not warrant that such information will be error free and the user acknowledges that the information, products, and services published or made available on this Web Site may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. Specifically, whilst care is taken to ensure that ticket availability is kept up to date, prices displayed may no longer be available. Changes are periodically made to the information herein. TISL and / or its respective suppliers may make improvements and / or changes in this Web Site at any time.

TISL and / or its respective suppliers makes no representations about the suitability of the information, products, and services contained on this Web Site for any purpose. To the maximum extent permitted by law, TISL Limited and / or its respective suppliers hereby disclaim all warranties, terms and conditions with regard to this information, products, and services, including all implied warranties, terms and conditions, by statute, collaterally or otherwise, of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and non-infringement. In no event shall TISL and / or its suppliers be liable for any loss of profit, loss of opportunity, loss of business, loss of revenue, wasted time, wasted costs, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential loss arising out of or in any way connected with the use of this Web Site or with the delay or inability to use this Web Site, or for any information, products, and services obtained through this Web Site, or otherwise arising out of the use of this Web Site, whether based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, even if TISL or any of its suppliers has been advised of the possibility of damages. Except in relation to liability for death or personal injury, for which no limit applies, the liability of TISL and / or its respective suppliers for direct loss arising out of the use of this Web Site, whether based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, is limited to the total value of the transaction under which the claim arises for any one event or series of connected events.

This does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
True, but I think it's fair to say that it represents the TOCs.

Maybe, but that's not the point that was made, and as the TOCs have no direct control over the site, I think it is quite harsh to say that they have said what the website says.

hounddog

Maybe, but that's not the point that was made, and as the TOCs have no direct control over the site, I think it is quite harsh to say that they have said what the website says.

NRE is part of ATOC, so anything they say is the view of the TOCs collectively, even if one or two wish it wasn't.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
NRE is part of ATOC, so anything they say is the view of the TOCs collectively, even if one or two wish it wasn't.

Following that reasoning, if NRE told you that a ticket routed "Grand Central only" was valid on Virgin Trains East Coast, what would you do when the Train Manager inevitably took exception and asked you to buy a new ticket?

hounddog

Following that reasoning, if NRE told you that a ticket routed "Grand Central only" was valid on Virgin Trains East Coast, what would you do when the Train Manager inevitably took exception and asked you to buy a new ticket?

Has it hypothetically given me an itinerary for that train with that ticket?

premier01

This brings back memories when this was one of the first topics I posted back in 2009-

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25973

At the time it was clear that the correct process for one way excess to 1st Class was:-

FDS-SDS for an anytime ticket.

Exactly as per the NRE website and the FRPP official manual stated this clearly also.

I lost count of the debates had with ticket sales and TOC staff even when producing an endorsed print out from the fares manual.

However this was changed a few years later and reflects the process outlined in the updated fares manual as referred to by CyrusWuff-

SDS + FDS - price paid or if cheaper a new FDS.

This method usually works out a lot more expensive than the previous method or indeed the SOR + FOR / 2 process!

I have done dozens of these transactions since 2009 on many routes and can advise that this ( SOR + FOR / 2 ) is by far the most popular method used by ticket sales and train staff but it was and still is wrong.

It does compare more favourably to the current correct method in most cases howerver.

Interestingly more and more train staff have been using the SDS + FDS method recently!

Frustrating how you can be charged 3 different prices for the same transaction as per a regular journey that I take betwen Preston and Leeds:

1. Current published method in the fares manual- £ 21.40

2. Most popular method halving the SOR and FOR difference-
£ 14.50

3. Previous method as per NRE website- £ 7.60

Interetsing but not surprising that nearly 7 yeats on folk still have the same problems and the NRE website still has the same information :)

Last edited:

MKB

In the event, I was charged £6.10 per person for the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.