• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper - Best Berths

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I'll be making a sleeper trip from London to Fort William in the next couple of months.

What are the best berth numbers to have - I understand away from the bogies is best? Can I specify a berth number when booking?

Ta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
I can't help, but I've also found that being near the front after the split can be somewhat noisy - although I know that some people don't mind that!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
tip - NOT over the bogies! also it is a toss up between being near the connection when the portions join or being near the lounge as to which is worse noise wise.

Best for me would be rear of the final coach but cant recallv the order. I know the Glasgow portion is right behind the loco on the southbound run

furgus2

When booking, ask for a berth in the centre of the coach. So, assuming you are going in single berth 1st class, numbering is in odd numbers from 1 to 23. I would avoid these at all costs: 1 is next to the toilet as well as nearest the bogies. 23, as well as near to the bogies at other end, is also possibly next to the pantry and, if in use, you'll hear the door to that being open and closed throughout the night. I always ask which berth number is coming up on the system before I pay. As close to the centre (11 or 13) is best in my opinion.

rail-britain

Established Member
I agree, 09, 11 and 13 tend to be the quietest however they have the most travel / movement on curves
There will be very little noise of people passing as these two sleepers are at the end of the train
Equally, you are furthest from the Lounge Car
There can be noise from the locomotive, but usually only heard shortly after departing stations and any slows / signals stops
You will also probably be woken as the train is shunted around at Edinburgh, although I woke up on purpose to watch the process

This diagram applies to both sleepers on the Fort William :
http://www.rail-britain.co.uk/downloads/First_ScotRail_Std_class_1st_class_FTW_Sleeper.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.