• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Class 92's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimboM

Established Member
I might have posted this before (apologies if I have) - but BRX's video gives me a flimsy excuse to share this example (from the platform side) of some Class 92 fan music as 028 comes into Crewe on 1S25 a couple of months back on it's 'second debut' on the Sleepers. There's an interesting contrast too between the trademark Dyson din as it comes in and the relatively quiet departure from the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
Another thing apparent in your video is that mk3s and mk2s seem to sound different from the platform! On board it's quite noticeable when the brakes go on of course.

TimboM

Established Member
Another thing apparent in your video is that mk3s and mk2s seem to sound different from the platform! On board it's quite noticeable when the brakes go on of course.
I noticed "live" that the lounge cars were particularly noisy as they went past - sounded like fans of some sort too - I assumed it was connected with the equipment in the kitchen area as appeared to be coming from there.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The mk2's (and the mk1's before them) have very loud and harsh breaking noises. This is not the case with the mk3 which is extremely quiet when braking.

I noticed "live" that the lounge cars were particularly noisy as they went past - sounded like fans of some sort too - I assumed it was connected with the equipment in the kitchen area as appeared to be coming from there.

I think what you heard was connected to the air con in a mk2 coach - a sort of whining sound?

TimboM

Established Member
I think what you heard was connected to the air con in a mk2 coach - a sort of whining sound?
Could well be - it's particularly noticeable with the second lounge car as that goes past (3:06)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Could well be - it's particularly noticeable with the second lounge car as that goes past (3:06)

Yes that's the sound - back in the day if you had a rake of such vehicles that were not attached to a loco and then a loco attached you would hear them all starting up almost coach by coach.

USRailFan

I might have posted this before (apologies if I have) - but BRX's video gives me a flimsy excuse to share this example (from the platform side) of some Class 92 fan music as 028 comes into Crewe on 1S25 a couple of months back on it's 'second debut' on the Sleepers. There's an interesting contrast too between the trademark Dyson din as it comes in and the relatively quiet departure from the station.

I always thought these trains ran with the sleepers in the middle and the seating cars at the ends, so as to have a brake compartment at each extreme - but that rule might not be in force anymore?

TimboM

Established Member
Yes that's the sound - back in the day if you had a rake of such vehicles that were not attached to a loco and then a loco attached you would hear them all starting up almost coach by coach.
Thanks for explaining what it was :)

TimboM

Established Member
I always thought these trains ran with the sleepers in the middle and the seating cars at the ends, so as to have a brake compartment at each extreme - but that rule might not be in force anymore?
I don't believe it's required anymore. Someone can correct me if I've got this wrong, but I believe that may have been a requirement from the days the carriages weren't independently braked and the brake car would actually have had to brake the other (unbraked) coaches if there was a breakaway (and hence logically would need to be the last coach). However, "modern" stock (if we can call these 30-40 year old Mk2s/Mk3s "modern") are through-braked via closed-circuit air systems (e.g. Westinghouse) all the way through the train. The loco (via a compressor) maintains pressure in the system (which needs to be a sealed 'circuit' through the rake) and this pressure keeps the brake blocks off the wheels in each coach. When the train needs to brake, the pressure is reduced and the blocks clamp the wheels - thus the whole train is being braked, not just the loco and/or brake car having to slow down unbraked coaches which happened in the past.

This also provides an 'automatic' fail-safe, as if any number of coaches breakaway, or the air supply is in any way cut from the loco, the brake systems in the "runaway" coaches no longer have any air pressure and the brake blocks immediately clamp on and bring the errant coaches to a halt.

I believe in a "modern" brake van such as these Mk2s there's still some form of braking equipment but essentially the "brake" description is more a carry-over from the historical times when it would be the only means of stopping part of a train with unbraked coaches that had split. The main purpose these days is really to house the guard + safety equipment + a storage item for bulkier items (e.g. excess luggage / lobsters being taken to fancy London restaurants from Inverness).

If I've got my head around this the right way, when the Highlander splits at Edinburgh, the brake coaches are actually the first ones behind the loco on the portions to Inverness and Aberdeen and at the rear of the Fort William (as extras lounge/brake "day" coaches are added to this portion at Waverley). When the portions come back South it's in reverse obviously.

TimboM

Established Member
Slightly belatedly, but worth a mention that last night was the first night that all five A/C Sleeper diagrams were Class 92 hauled since 30th July (2017). Doing the honours were:

1S25 - 92010
1S26 - 92044
1M11 - 92018
1M16 - 92033
1M11/1B26 (Carstairs) - 92043

ACLG locos 86101 (Glasgow/Polmadie) and 87002 (Euston/Wembley) performed the ECS duties to complete the A/C traction line-up.

On Moderation
I believe in a "modern" brake van such as these Mk2s there's still some form of braking equipment but essentially the "brake" description is more a carry-over from the historical times when it would be the only means of stopping part of a train with unbraked coaches that had split. The main purpose these days is really to house the guard + safety equipment + a storage item for bulkier items (e.g. excess luggage / lobsters being taken to fancy London restaurants from Inverness).
The brake does still perform the important function of providing handbrake/parking brake for the train when there is no locomotive attached. This is why if there is a defect with (say) the brake for the Edinburgh portion of the lowland sleeper out of Euston, the full train has to go Glasgow.

It used to be the case that a train couldn't start its journey without a brake in the formation, and the Carstairs splitter is classified as a separate train (1B26 is not the same as 1S26!). Back in BR days there was a Mark 1 BCK kept at Carstairs for use if one of the portions from the south had no brake. Back then, of course, splitting and joining at Carstairs used to happen on day trains as well.

coppercapped

Established Member
I don't believe it's required anymore. Someone can correct me if I've got this wrong, but I believe that may have been a requirement from the days the carriages weren't independently braked and the brake car would actually have had to brake the other (unbraked) coaches if there was a breakaway (and hence logically would need to be the last coach). However, "modern" stock (if we can call these 30-40 year old Mk2s/Mk3s "modern") are through-braked via closed-circuit air systems (e.g. Westinghouse) all the way through the train. The loco (via a compressor) maintains pressure in the system (which needs to be a sealed 'circuit' through the rake) and this pressure keeps the brake blocks off the wheels in each coach. When the train needs to brake, the pressure is reduced and the blocks clamp the wheels - thus the whole train is being braked, not just the loco and/or brake car having to slow down unbraked coaches which happened in the past.

This also provides an 'automatic' fail-safe, as if any number of coaches breakaway, or the air supply is in any way cut from the loco, the brake systems in the "runaway" coaches no longer have any air pressure and the brake blocks immediately clamp on and bring the errant coaches to a halt.

If I've got my head around this the right way, when the Highlander splits at Edinburgh, the brake coaches are actually the first ones behind the loco on the portions to Inverness and Aberdeen and at the rear of the Fort William (as extras lounge/brake "day" coaches are added to this portion at Waverley). When the portions come back South it's in reverse obviously.
Just to clarify - the requirement for trains to have continuous automatic brakes has existed since the Regulation of Railways Act 1889, the 'Lock, Block and Brake' Act. It makes no difference whether the trains had vacuum or air brakes - the requirement for the brakes to apply automatically if the train divided was absolute.
The term 'brake' in this context simply means the vehicle has a brake which can be applied manually independently from the automatic brake. This means that, if the manual brake is applied, the vehicle will not run away if the automatic brakes are discharged - that is no vacuum or air pressure is available from the brake pipes or the brake reservoirs.

USRailFan

What I had in mind was that I seem to have seen somewhere that there used to be a rule that there should be one carriage with a brake compartment at each end of a trainset (e.g. a BFK at the front and a BG at the rear), at least for trains over a certain length?

TimboM

Established Member
Path in for first thing tomorrow for light engine move from Willesden TMD - Loughborough Brush

0Z28: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R02721/2018/01/24/advanced

Currently the smart money is on 92032 going in for some attention (and possibly to its wheelsets as it went to BN for (unsuccessful?) tyre-turning a couple of weeks ago but hasn't worked since) - all that to be confirmed, however...

TimboM

Established Member
should we be expecting something to come out, perhaps 038...?
If you mean coming the other way tomorrow, I'm personally not expecting anything, no. That's not to say a surprise gets sprung...!

cj_1985

Thanks
Have to say, i'm starting to wonder if the delay in introducing the new mk5 stock is down to getting it approved for use, or down to how long it's taking to fit the new couplers/adaptors/mods to the 92s

ScottDarg

Thanks
Have to say, i'm starting to wonder if the delay in introducing the new mk5 stock is down to getting it approved for use, or down to how long it's taking to fit the new couplers/adaptors/mods to the 92s

Likely a bit of both.

The plan initially seemed to be about 6 months testing and such (based on time between first delivery and entry into service). They can't properly start testing until there's a 92 with Dellners out to carry out the runs between Polmadie amd Carnforth, etc.

TimboM

Established Member
Thanks
At the current time the push back of the Mk5 introduction by c.6 months is solely due to delays in a) CAF getting the first test rake to Velim and b) that rake and further stock from CAF making it to the UK. We're now in late January and so far all that's arrived at Polmadie is 5 coaches which as yet haven't gone anywhere (even though there's 73/9s with the Dellners). There's some photos showing progress of some coaches in the factory in Spain on the Mk5 thread, but as yet I'm not aware of any more on or near a boat heading to the UK... If 038 had been ready right now, there's not a huge amount of proper WCML testing that can be done with 5/16ths of a full rake...

I reckon if 038 and/or 023 are out within the next month it's not going to have any impact on the (revised) planned start dates; if it takes longer than that then they may be a factor in the delayed introduction, but right now probably not.

cj_1985

I know it's off topic, but are we any further forward in finding out what locos will be used for ECS movements once the new mk5 stock is introduced. or will the additional reactivated 92s fill that role when not in use for freight?

TimboM

Established Member
I know it's off topic, but are we any further forward in finding out what locos will be used for ECS movements once the new mk5 stock is introduced. or will the additional reactivated 92s fill that role when not in use for freight?
Short answer is no.

There seems to be an assumption that it'll be the 92s (due to the whole bespoke Dellners / ETH etc that means 92s are the only locos that can haul a Load 16 in full passenger service). However, I personally cannot see the 92s being used regularly for ECS if you look logically at the numbers of locos it'd need:
  • There are 5 main a/c diagrams a night that will definitely need 92s once the Mk5s are fully rolled-out (1S25/1S26/1M11/1M16/1C11+1B26 Carstairs) - so that's 5x 92s working each night.
  • Experience over the past 3 years of GB operating the contract is that to ensure loco availability, you need 7 locos to cover these 5 diagrams (to account for a couple of locos at any one time on exam/needing repair etc.). This is one more than the original 6 locos that were deemed necessary (and painted into CS livery accordingly) - and hence 92006 is planned to be the 7th loco in CS colours.
  • If you then used 92s for ECS you'd need 2 more - one to work 5M11/5S96 at Glasgow and one to work 5S96/5M11 at EUS. (Using one or two of the "spares" from the above "core" pool of 7 doesn't really work if you want to avoid loads of cancellations - as firstly they often wouldn't be two "spare" as there'd usually be at least one "core" engine unavailable for some reason) and secondly ECS locos are typically trapped on the blocks for most of the night and can't help out very easily if something else fails.)
  • So... you'd be looking at a minimum of 9x Class 92s full-time on the beds. Ordinarily that would be the 7 due to be in Sleeper livery (006/010/014/018/023/033/038) plus two of the freight ones (020/028/043)...
  • ...meaning (once 006/020 are back) you'd only have three 92s left over for the cars/tunnel work/china clays and other electric/tunnel freight that gen elsewhere is suggesting is on the rise. And those three will need exam/repair from time to time, so you're realistically looking at only a couple of 92s available to do everything else.
Looking at it this way, I just can't see GBRf's plans being that they'd tie up most of their expensively assembled and maintained 92 fleet on the beds. I think it's much more likely it'll be the core pool of 7 in the CS livery, with the odd freight one subbing in as required, and meanwhile there's 4-5 "freight" 92s to cover the other freight/tunnel work that they can do. I don't think GBRf are going to all the time, trouble and expense to bring 006 and 020 back just to use them as ECS/shunt locos for a couple of hours each day.

Also, whilst the Dellners etc. are bespoke, I've seen reliable info that there's a) good batteries on the new stock (designed to last 4 hours) and b) different power settings (e.g. a "low power" type setting). Added to that 66s have done the Glasgow ECS at times so ETS isn't a "must have" for ECS. I think therefore that whilst a 92 is the only loco able to cope with the ETS in full service, it's much less of an issue for ECS moves.

Which then really leaves the challenge of the couplings, but then 92s/73s have been modified and there's plenty of examples of temporary/semi-permanent Dellner couplers attached to things like ROG 37s and DRS 57s, so on balance I would think adapting some dedicated ECS locos would be more cost effective then tying up expensive 92s which could be out earning their keep much better working freight/tunnel etc.

As to what these mysterious additional, non-92 ECS locos might be - if I was a betting man, I'd suggest the answer is right in front of us - in CS livery, hauling the ECS in and out of Glasgow and Euston most nights...!

Last edited:

cj_1985

based on what you're saying, and on the assumption (based on a posting I read a few years back) that the ECS moves done at the Euston end of the route are crewed by Tonbridge TMs... if it's not the pre-existing ECS 86/87s ... what are your thoughts on the option that we could expect Tonbridge based 73/9s be used.. assuming they were Dellner fitted

TimboM

Established Member
based on what you're saying, and on the assumption (based on a posting I read a few years back) that the ECS moves done at the Euston end of the route are crewed by Tonbridge TMs... if it's not the pre-existing ECS 86/87s ... what are your thoughts on the option that we could expect Tonbridge based 73/9s be used.. assuming they were Dellner fitted
Not sure if that was a stop-gap measure but I'm pretty certain the ECS moves these days are crewed by Willesden drivers, or if not Crewe drivers (as some of the Euston ECS moves are done by the "main" drivers who then take the trains north (or who have brought them south...)).

I'm fairly certain a single 73/9 doesn't have much hope reliably pulling a Load 16 up Camden Bank with a 126 tonne 92 strapped on the back - about 800 tonnes in total. And 2x 73/9s wouldn't fit in Euston (and would be a bit OTT for ECS moves). You need something with a decent bit of power, like an 86/87...!

Also, the 73/9s at Tonbridge are gainfully employed on revenue-earning work for GB (e.g. RHTT/SITT) so taking these away from that, plus the cost of modifying them for Dellners, doesn't really stack up I don't think.

BRX

Established Member
Also, whilst the Dellners etc. are bespoke, I've seen reliable info that there's a) good batteries on the new stock (designed to last 4 hours) and b) different power settings (e.g. a "low power" type setting).

Do you think that's something that could also be used in service as a backup option when a 73/9 or 92 can't be found? ie. avoid cancelling the train outright but no-one can use the showers or espresso machine or whatever?

TimboM

Established Member
Do you think that's something that could also be used in service as a backup option when a 73/9 or 92 can't be found? ie. avoid cancelling the train outright but no-one can use the showers or espresso machine or whatever?
Possibly - along with the 4 hours-worth of batteries. But I don't know any details (e.g. what are these reduced settings? Do the batteries last 4 hours if everything's on or does it need to go into "power-saving mode" (showers/espresso machines etc. turned-off).

I think it's more likely to come into play if the 92/73 sits down mid-way and something like a 66 is put on the front to rescue it - the stock would still receive sufficient power to stay in service whilst the train was dragged somewhere suitable or to its destination.

Also with the Load 8s (or less) on the Carstairs portion and North of EDB, the ETS demand is much less than the Load 16 so the 73/9s for example don't have a higher voltage ETS supply or particularly big ETH Index as they don't need it. It's just the full 16-coach rakes which require the 1,500v and mega ETH Index of the 92 (in full service, with everything switched on).

There's still the big issue of coupling, though, if a 92 or 73/9 isn't available... although if my theory (and it's only that) that the 86s/87 still gets used for ECS (with modified couplings) then is there a possibility they still could work the main services in an emergency, albeit with a short-formed rake, or certain electronic gadgets turned off...?? That really is speculation, but wouldn't rule it totally out.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Isn't this ecs work what GBRf just bought three 47s for? With 47 727 already being put into Sleeper livery...?

Status
Not open for further replies.