• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimboM

Established Member
Images courtesy of Tim Wade from the Sleeper facebook group. Note that with the ROG style coupling it has bought the DMU snowplough to be effectively cut in half, and removal of the rubbing plates.

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty neat. I was fearing at one point (before I saw the ROG 37s) that the CS locos would be defaced like the 57 Thunderbirds and end up looking like Oods out of Doctor Who!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Images courtesy of Tim Wade from the Sleeper facebook group. Note that with the ROG style coupling it has bought the DMU snowplough to be effectively cut in half, and removal of the rubbing plates.

Looks pretty mean for a 73. I like the split snowplough, something a bit German about it.

Scotrail84

Established Member
It's a person on a bridge just outside of Rugby station - lines closed, power off... I will divulge as know you can't and it's common knowledge now.

Serco/CS sleeper social media team at least are remaining positive - they've recently told some chap asking if he'll make his mates wedding tomorrow in the far north of Scotland that "the train is likely to depart tonight, but with delays" and "hopefully it'll make up some time". He's on the Highlander that's 3 hours late as it is with no sign of moving any time soon and it has a 92 on it.

I know the CS twitter folk can't really be saying this, but I'd be a lot less positive about the chances of it running at all and certainly him getting to where he needs to be on time - and suggest he starts at least researching other options :oops:

EDIT: person has apparently come down/been moved. So maybe CS Twitter Person's optimism was well-founded after all. Still going to be a big delay.

See post 3985....

TimboM

Established Member

So the previous coupling equipment between the buffers (for example in this shot https://flic.kr/p/U24HXp) - what was that for and why is it no longer needed?

I'm guessing certain types of coaching stock/multiple-units the 73s used to connect to and don't anymore?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
It's a person on a bridge just outside of Rugby station - lines closed, power off... I will divulge as know you can't and it's common knowledge now.

Much obliged
Trapped trains are going to be moved first but as all of the displaced up trains are going to be descending on Euston shortly I'd be very surprised if both the sleepers weren't underway within the hour.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Much obliged
Trapped trains are going to be moved first but as all of the displaced up trains are going to be descending on Euston shortly I'd be very surprised if both the sleepers weren't underway within the hour.

1S26 is going nowhere soon as the loco for it is trapped behind 1S25.

TimboM

Established Member
1S26 is going nowhere soon as the loco for it is trapped behind 1S25.

86101 will be popular as it makes it way from P1 to P15 as the hoards of displaced trains are trying to get in/out of Euston.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
86101 will be popular as it makes it way from P1 to P15 as the hoards of displaced trains are trying to get in/out of Euston.

By the looks of things the hordes of displaced trains amount to one London Overground train at the moment. The first trapped up train is going through Weedon as we speak and pretty much everything else has either been sent up or gone to Wembley. Of course I'm not actually at Euston so I could be wrong
Incidentally 1S25 is away

TimboM

Established Member
That will probably be held for late running inbound services.

1S25 has just passed Camden and it's looking quiet at the Euston throat with the next inbound as far away as Willesden still, so reckon 86101 will make a dash for it now whilst it can.

TimboM

Established Member
By the looks of things the hordes of displaced trains amount to one London Overground train at the moment. The first trapped up train is going through Weedon as we speak and pretty much everything else has either been sent up or gone to Wembley. Of course I'm not actually at Euston so I could be wrong
Incidentally 1S25 is away

Think we were typing the same thing at pretty much the same time!
86101 is moving across now by the looks of it.
I guess they'd want the sleeper out of there ASAP and free up a platform.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
1S25 has just passed Camden and it's looking quiet at the Euston throat with the next inbound as far away as Willesden still, so reckon 86101 will make a dash for it now whilst it can.

Correct-amente - Changing ends on Line X as we speak
(For the un-initiated Line X is one of the bi-directional lines on approach to Euston; namely the one which goes through the underpass)

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Correct-amente - Changing ends on Line X as we speak
(For the un-initiated Line X is one of the bi-directional lines on approach to Euston; namely the one which goes through the underpass)

...and now after a quick jog down the side of the loco by the driver is heading into P15.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
...and now after a quick jog down the side of the loco by the driver is heading into P15.

Get a sleeper away; take a loco from one side of Euston; change ends; and to the other; couple up and get the second sleeper away; is this a very low-budget zone on the new Crystal Maze?

TimboM

Established Member
Get a sleeper away; take a loco from one side of Euston; change ends; and to the other; couple up and get the second sleeper away; is this a very low-budget zone on the new Crystal Maze?

Definitely low-budget as it's 86101 and 87002 involved tonight ;)

Presumably they could have loaded 1S26 already without a loco on the front using 87002 for the ETS, with the batteries hopefully being able to cope for the couple of mins when they then switch over the power to 86101 (once coupled)?

BRX

Established Member
So the previous coupling equipment between the buffers (for example in this shot https://flic.kr/p/U24HXp) - what was that for and why is it no longer needed?

I'm guessing certain types of coaching stock/multiple-units the 73s used to connect to and don't anymore?

Yes I think it's to do with running push-pull sets eg. the old gatwick express ones which the locos would be semi permanently coupled to.

TimboM

Established Member
Yes I think it's to do with running push-pull sets eg. the old gatwick express ones which the locos would be semi permanently coupled to.

That stacks up as the Class 91s have them too.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Definitely low-budget as it's 86101 and 87002 involved tonight ;)

Presumably they could have loaded 1S26 already without a loco on the front using 87002 for the ETS, with the batteries hopefully being able to cope for the couple of mins when they then switch over the power to 86101 (once coupled)?

That's what happened. Still there. Loco getting tied on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.