• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
1B01 not away from FTW yet.
A train fault apparently. Almost 120L, not sure how much it can catch up but i don't think the Southern portion can wait 120 minutes at EDB.

Edit : RTT Is saying Cancelled (as of 2150)

Scotrail84

Established Member
No ETH. Sub zero conditions. Only one outcome I’m afraid. No idea what’s happening to the punters or the stock.

robbeech

Established Member
Quite.
A direct bus would barely make it to Edinburgh in good weather (not sure what it is like up there) before it was due to depart for Euston, no doubt we will find out but all in all not going to be a good night for passengers, and problematic for people on the Down service tomorrow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite.
A direct bus would barely make it to Edinburgh in good weather (not sure what it is like up there) before it was due to depart for Euston, no doubt we will find out but all in all not going to be a good night for passengers, and problematic for people on the Down service tomorrow.

If it were me I'd want a hotel and either a morning flight or Pendolino from Glasgow.

robbeech

Established Member
Can anyone find a link on RTT about the empties leaving FTW?

It's not necessarily going to appear, it'll be a VSTP and RTT can sometimes miss things until after the event i've found. Alternatively they might run it as the original service, i don't think there is a rule that says it can't be a 1*** headcode for an ECS move its just for housekeeping purposes i think.

Scotrail84

Established Member
It's not necessarily going to appear, it'll be a VSTP and RTT can sometimes miss things until after the event i've found. Alternatively they might run it as the original service, i don't think there is a rule that says it can't be a 1*** headcode for an ECS move its just for housekeeping purposes i think.

ECS will not be a class 1 train. Will be a class 5 if anything.

TimboM

Established Member
Meanwhile at the southern end 90046 which took in the Highlander stock (5S95) and so normally would then take 1S26 (Lowlander) has run back to Willesden, presumably with a fault.
A spare loco has since run from Willesden to Wembley - Lowlander ECS just emerging from Wembley on the signalling diagrams. Expecting it to be top'n'tailed by 92043 and 90016.

UPDATE: 92043 leading the ECS in, 90016 on rear to take 1S26.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
No ETH. Sub zero conditions. Only one outcome I’m afraid. No idea what’s happening to the punters or the stock.
Punters (aka guests ;)) are being bussed to GLC to join the Lowlander there - which probably explains why 1M11 still not left 60 mins (and counting) past booked departure time.

86101 tucked inside on 1M11 this evening incidentally.

Darandio

Established Member
A snowman

This one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-43202018

There was no escaping the white stuff - even on the sleeper train to Edinburgh.

Mary Duffy was travelling into Scotland's capital when she spotted snow had worked its way through the gaps between carriages and doors.

23ce8a0d-b686-40ca-83a2-0249b72e8b18.png

154d69bb-2b8d-40fe-9095-b9d1f50c4c33.png

TimboM

Established Member
This one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-43202018

There was no escaping the white stuff - even on the sleeper train to Edinburgh.

Mary Duffy was travelling into Scotland's capital when she spotted snow had worked its way through the gaps between carriages and doors.
That's brilliant :D ...what are the arms/legs made of though??

...and people worry about how the Mk5s will cope in the snow!?

coppercapped

Established Member
Snow in the vestibules? A very common event on continental railways in the winter - nothing to see here, move on, please...

marks87

Established Member
That photo reminds me of a question that sometimes pops into my mind but I then forget to ask - do the vestibules on coaches and MUs actually join, or are they just squashed together by spring tension?

ScottDarg

From the sleeper.scot website regarding tonights 1B01:
Tonight's Fort William to London Euston service is cancelled. Guests will be contacted today and offered alternative sleeper accomodation on tonight's other services.

1S26 Northbound Lowlander arrived into Glasgow Central at 11:23 this morning, 245 minutes late. It lost about 50 minutes around Newton, anyone know what caused that?

No Carstairs Split/1B26 this morning with the Sleeper site saying that was a result of a points failure at Carstairs.

Domh245

Established Member
That photo reminds me of a question that sometimes pops into my mind but I then forget to ask - do the vestibules on coaches and MUs actually join, or are they just squashed together by spring tension?

I think it depends. 'Floating' gangways (such as inter-unit ones and those on LHCS) tend to just get pushed together by springs, and typically have a high friction surface to try and ensure a good seal. 'Fixed' gangways such as those in fixed formation units tend to be a single piece that is fastened to each vehicle end and so are better sealed.

TimboM

Established Member
From the sleeper.scot website regarding tonights 1B01:

1S26 Northbound Lowlander arrived into Glasgow Central at 11:23 this morning, 245 minutes late. It lost about 50 minutes around Newton, anyone know what caused that?

No Carstairs Split/1B26 this morning with the Sleeper site saying that was a result of a points failure at Carstairs.
ALL services tonight are now cancelled (from Sleeper.scot):
Service Update, Wed 28th February: We regret to advise that ALL Caledonian Sleeper services for tonight have been cancelled. This is due to the upgrade of the Met Office weather warning for central Scotland to RED, the highest level.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Won't the crews be at the wrong end of the country.?

Correct - I assume it will be another night in the hotel for them (English Crews in Scotland, Scottish Crews in England). If they run tomorrow night I suspect they will change over en-route to get them back in sync again.

TimboM

Established Member
Won't the crews be at the wrong end of the country.?
Yes - and presumably (where applicable) will need to stay put for tonight if the transport system is not working too well.

Based on past experience, the way they'll rectify this is doing a staff change (including hosts etc) at somewhere like Preston, so every gets back to where they started at the end of the night (i.e. back in the "right" positions)

Caleb2010

Thought so, better that than being stuck in a snow drift in the middle of nowhere!

Here in rural Moray, it hasn't stopped all morning!

TimboM

Established Member
Correct - I assume it will be another night in the hotel for them (English Crews in Scotland, Scottish Crews in England). If they run tomorrow night I suspect they will change over en-route to get them back in sync again.
Assuming it's out/back/out/back/out/back during the week (S/M/T/W/T/F nights) then the majority of the staff will be away from home today.

InOban

Established Member
Beautiful blue sky here in Oban! Bl**dy freezing, but better than elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.