• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
If its as per the usual GBRf procedure it would have been be a last minute VSTP request and any question of how they see the required moves actually working at Edinburgh would have been met with “the shunter will arrange it directly with the signaller” regardless of how practical or otherwise it is.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Anyone travelling tonight mind the trains are retimed slightly to allow for the diversions due to engineering works, 1C11 leaving Edinburgh at 22:09.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not quite - they are both on the Highlander - 1S25

1S26 should be 90045.

And it was, with the battleship grey 90047 doing the Carstairs - Edinburgh portion

First time both locos on a sleeper move were required for me in ages. The Edinburgh seats was pretty much full that night, I counted 3 empty seats after Watford Junction, at least this time the heating stayed on all night

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And it was, with the battleship grey 90047 doing the Carstairs - Edinburgh portion

First time both locos on a sleeper move were required for me in ages. The Edinburgh seats was pretty much full that night, I counted 3 empty seats after Watford Junction, at least this time the heating stayed on all night

Glad to hear the 90's you got were required for traction though if it was me I'd consider it unlucky that neither of the two legs were class 92 hauled. ;)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Glad to hear the 90's you got were required for traction though if it was me I'd consider it unlucky that neither of the two legs were class 92 hauled. ;)

Better getting the 90s in the book when I still can :), as IIRC when the Mk5s start operating it will solely be 92s?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Aah that explains the delays they were causing at Euston due to the train being overlength. Presume whatever arrangements they’ve made before for a pair didnt work or the platforms were swapped over?

Platform 1 and 15 should comfortably fit 2 x class 90s and a load 16. Problems may have arose when the drag back loco came down to couple on as it may have been sitting foul at the country end.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Better getting the 90s in the book when I still can :), as IIRC when the Mk5s start operating it will solely be 92s?

You should have until at least next March. Thats when the change over to MK5's is planned to be completed.

TimboM

Established Member
Aah that explains the delays they were causing at Euston due to the train being overlength. Presume whatever arrangements they’ve made before for a pair didnt work or the platforms were swapped over?
Platform 1 and 15 should comfortably fit 2 x class 90s and a load 16. Problems may have arose when the drag back loco came down to couple on as it may have been sitting foul at the country end.
The only delays I can see this morning at Euston are attributed to a trespass incident. 1M11/5M11 was in P1 - can't see anything it was blocking in or out of P2?

Essexman

Established Member
Highland sleeper arrived pretty much on time (on its revised amended arrival time anyway - was originally going to be 9.01 then changed to 8.19 when West Coast engineering cancelled). As with outward to Glasgow on Monday, I was given a cabin with two berths (but only me in the cabin) despite my first class Flexipass ticket.

Established Member
The only delays I can see this morning at Euston are attributed to a trespass incident. 1M11/5M11 was in P1 - can't see anything it was blocking in or out of P2?
Fairly sure it was the 0820 Manchester blocked in that started the issue. Mate stuck outside hence had a look!

TimboM

Established Member
Fairly sure it was the 0820 Manchester blocked in that started the issue. Mate stuck outside hence had a look!
1H12 08:20 Euston to Manchester Picc departed 8L from P5 at 08:28 - 5M11 was still in P1 at that time (didn't leave until 08:47) so don't think it could have been blocking it in. 1H12 was formed by the 1R05 set that arrived from Liverpool 3E at 07:47 so doesn't seem like any issues caused with the incoming working either.

Established Member
1H12 08:20 Euston to Manchester Picc departed 8L from P5 at 08:28 - 5M11 was still in P1 at that time (didn't leave until 08:47) so don't think it could have been blocking it in. 1H12 was formed by the 1R05 set that arrived from Liverpool 3E at 07:47 so doesn't seem like any issues caused with the incoming working either.
The attribution clerks evidently disagreed!

ScottDarg

The Class 86s are being swapped tonight.

86401 has worked the empty stock into Glasgow Central. 86101's at the other end to work 1M11 to Euston solo tonight.

Last edited:

Steddenm

On the 24th April I travelled on the Glasgow to Euston sleeper and it arrived 3h20m late into Euston. So made a compensation claim.

Today I got a cheque for the full fare and a £5 gesture of goodwill.

Isn't it the fact that if it's over 2h late then you are meant to receive a higher refund?

Scotrail84

Established Member
On the 24th April I travelled on the Glasgow to Euston sleeper and it arrived 3h20m late into Euston. So made a compensation claim.

Isn't it the fact that if it's over 2h late then you are meant to receive a higher refund?

No, you get the full fare back, what more do you want?

cf111

Established Member

As Sleeper tickets are only ever sold as singles, the max delay-repay (full refund) threshold is hit when the train is an hour late in arriving.

I think some other companies, ScotRail for instance, will refund the entirety of a return ticket rather than just the disrupted portion when you are two or more hours late but as you don't hold a return ticket (even if you have booked a return journey), this option isn't open.

TimboM

Established Member
As Sleeper tickets are only ever sold as singles, the max delay-repay (full refund) threshold is hit when the train is an hour late in arriving.

I think some other companies, ScotRail for instance, will refund the entirety of a return ticket rather than just the disrupted portion when you are two or more hours late but as you don't hold a return ticket (even if you have booked a return journey), this option isn't open.
It’s all in the Guest Charter:

B72FD8C3-2C1A-43AD-B663-FD437350F6BA.jpeg
https://www.sleeper.scot/images/guestcharter/CSGuestCharterSept2016.pdf

BRX

Established Member
For those interested in sleeper operations of times past - have come across this video

which shows (eg. from 2.55 onwards) what the sleeper formation from Inverness was in the mid 90s (the time I remember watching it depart as a youth!)

Two 37s and 5 motorail wagons on the front.

LeylandLen

1S25 left Euston on time tonight, but then returned to platform 1 . Seems to be a person hit by train on WCML ...according to Virgin Trains x

TimboM

Established Member
Shame it wasn't a 90 at front to get a bit of extra fast running to attempt to reduce the delay caused by the sad event at Watford.
Lines are very congested after the incident. 1S25 currently has 6 trains (including stoppers/freights) immediately in front of it on the Down Slow (Down Fast still blocked by the looks of it). Being able to do 100 vs 87 would be of little benefit currently. Indeed a loco that can accelerate faster is arguably more useful.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shame it wasn't a 90 at front to get a bit of extra fast running to attempt to reduce the delay caused by the sad event at Watford.

Loads of recovery time anyway - assuming no further incidents en route I would assume punctual arrivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.