• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsC

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I am travelling Euston to Inverness at the end of July and just wondered if anyone knew if it was likely we may be able to board the train early,to get into our cabins?We are travelling with a 5 year old and a 1 year old(Who likes to fight her sleep) and I obviously don't want them to disturb other passengers,and would like to get them settled prior to departure...

Also,can anyone tell me how much the breakfast supplement is?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If it helps with the 1 year old, what we did twice with our daughter when she was a similar age on the Sleeper was, once in the cabin, set up the pushchair and put her in that - she went to sleep very easily unlike what she was like in her cot / still is now at age 10¾ in her bed!

CallySleeper

Established Member
Breakfast supp is £4 IIRC, but check with your host when you checkin. IMO opt for the continental option if possible, esp for the kids (yoghurt/juice/fruit)

MrsC

If it helps with the 1 year old, what we did twice with our daughter when she was a similar age on the Sleeper was, once in the cabin, set up the pushchair and put her in that - she went to sleep very easily unlike what she was like in her cot / still is now at age 10¾ in her bed!

Will there be enough room?We have paid for 4 berths,after being told our 5 year old could share a bed with one of us,but we would need to pay for a ticket,so paid the extra for our little girl too.We have interconnecting cabins,but would there be enough room to get a pram in?I'm already going to have to collapse it to get it on the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Breakfast supp is £4 IIRC, but check with your host when you checkin. IMO opt for the continental option if possible, esp for the kids (yoghurt/juice/fruit)

Sorry,the price just came up as symbols and numbers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Will there be enough room?We have paid for 4 berths,after being told our 5 year old could share a bed with one of us,but we would need to pay for a ticket,so paid the extra for our little girl too.We have interconnecting cabins,but would there be enough room to get a pram in?I'm already going to have to collapse it to get it on the train.

If it's a pushchair then you may be able to get it set up between the lower bunk and the wall, but do keep both cabins* as of course once set up it'll block the access to the basin. You're right it won't go down the corridor and into the cabin while set up, so either way one of you will end up carrying the 1 year old to get on board.

If it's a pram, it's probably wider and this might not work.

*Whoever told you the 5 year old could share a bunk with one of you probably hasn't used the Sleeper themselves..... the bunks are perfectly good for one person, but sharing, even with someone as small as a 5 year old, is a guarantee of a sleepless night for both in that bunk I'm afraid**.

**So definitely keep the second cabin!

Dave1954

On Moderation
Hi Mrs C , I did read your comment on the other Caledonian thread , we are travelling north to Fort William from Euston on the 7th , so if there anything you need to know before you travel Please let me know via the forum or PM.
I be online sometimes through out . Regards Dave1954 .

MrsC

If it's a pushchair then you may be able to get it set up between the lower bunk and the wall, but do keep both cabins* as of course once set up it'll block the access to the basin. You're right it won't go down the corridor and into the cabin while set up, so either way one of you will end up carrying the 1 year old to get on board.

If it's a pram, it's probably wider and this might not work.

*Whoever told you the 5 year old could share a bunk with one of you probably hasn't used the Sleeper themselves..... the bunks are perfectly good for one person, but sharing, even with someone as small as a 5 year old, is a guarantee of a sleepless night for both in that bunk I'm afraid**.

**So definitely keep the second cabin!

It's a pram,so might not..thinking of investing in a stroller,but last time I tried to put my daughter forward facing,she screamed blue murder.

My 5 year old is adamant he is sleeping on the top bunk,but as he fell out of be last night,from a normal bed,it's probably not wise... :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's a pram,so might not..thinking of investing in a stroller,but last time I tried to put my daughter forward facing,she screamed blue murder.

My 5 year old is adamant he is sleeping on the top bunk,but as he fell out of bed last night,from a normal bed,it's probably not wise... :)

1) Ah. On both counts. Can you borrow a stroller to try getting her in it with you sitting in front of her at home? If she gets used to it as long as she can see you, that might solve your problem?

2) I would never put someone that young in the top bunk on a Sleeper. It would definitely be adults up / kids down.

Just a thought... if the disabled cabins are not booked it might be worth looking at that option if FSR can move your cabin allocation, it won't adjoin the next cabin so you'd be cut off from your OH and the 5 year old for the journey although there would be room to set up the pram.

MrsC

1) Ah. On both counts. Can you borrow a stroller to try getting her in it with you sitting in front of her at home? If she gets used to it as long as she can see you, that might solve your problem?

2) I would never put someone that young in the top bunk on a Sleeper. It would definitely be adults up / kids down.

Just a thought... if the disabled cabins are not booked it might be worth looking at that option if FSR can move your cabin allocation, it won't adjoin the next cabin so you'd be cut off from your OH and the 5 year old for the journey although there would be room to set up the pram.

I wonder if Scotrail would answer a random question about the width of the gap between the bed and the wall...:idea:

Ahh don't worry he won't be,but you know-5 year olds know best :)

CallySleeper

Established Member

This is a good idea. However, if you try ringing up Scotrail telesales they may not move your reservation, I think partly because if a person with a disability requires the use of the adapted cabin they are legally obliged to provide it - which would mean you would be moved back to a standard cabin.

Your best bet is probably turning up on the night and asking if it's free.
According to Mark Smith, one of these will fit in a cabin if it's of any use to you. I'd say the width of the space between the bed and wall is ~70cm.

MrsC

This is a good idea. However, if you try ringing up Scotrail telesales they may not move your reservation, I think partly because if a person with a disability requires the use of the adapted cabin they are legally obliged to provide it - which would mean you would be moved back to a standard cabin.

Your best bet is probably turning up on the night and asking if it's free.
According to Mark Smith, one of these will fit in a cabin if it's of any use to you. I'd say the width of the space between the bed and wall is ~70cm.

Just measured the buggy at the widest part,so outside wheel to outside wheel,and its 57cm...hopefully will fit

Be3G

Established Member
IMO opt for the continental option if possible, esp for the kids (yoghurt/juice/fruit)

Unless it's changed since I last used the sleeper a couple of years ago, continental is the only option for the standard class breakfast ‘package’, with a hot breakfast being reserved for first class customers. Standard class passengers can buy hot items from the lounge car in the morning though.

By the way, MrsC, you might find it interesting to look at the Scotrail sleeper virtual tour to get an idea of the exact layout of the cabins.

Status
Not open for further replies.