• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Brilliant, thanks. I don't think I've ever been on a 67 hauled service before so that's a novelty to me!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Brilliant, thanks. I don't think I've ever been on a 67 hauled service before so that's a novelty to me!

Enjoy the run via Aberdeen, the 67 will probably get up to some good speed on the non-stop run to Dundee and on some of the longer sections of the Inverness - Aberdeen line.

Although I hope you are not travelling in the seats as the heating in that coach was very dodgy on Friday night (blowing out hot air one moment before blowing out freezing cold air the next)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Enjoy the run via Aberdeen, the 67 will probably get up to some good speed on the non-stop run to Dundee and on some of the longer sections of the Inverness - Aberdeen line.

Although I hope you are not travelling in the seats as the heating in that coach was very dodgy on Friday night (blowing out hot air one moment before blowing out freezing cold air the next)
No, berth it was for me... the heating there was adjustable and worked, if a little slow. Couldn't get to sleep until past Dundee though, too much jointed track. Slept like a log past there though, didn't even wake up with the shenanigans at Edinburgh!

VT 390

Established Member
Has the new stock been delayed again as in the April issue of Modern Railways it says that the new stock is due to be in service in July. I thought that it was to be introduced at the start of June, is this a mistake or has it been delayed?

alistairlees

Established Member
A very quiet thread these days. 92044 on the northbound lowlander (23.53 Euston - Glasgow / Edinburgh) tonight.

mde

It’s complete nonsense*

*not the word I originally typed but I see we’re not allowed to use that here.
Our usual trusty source (lol!) Al Dalton has an 'exclusive' this morning which seems to echo this sorry tale… quote follows for those who'd like to avoid the ad-infested Scotsman website:

Five staff quit after Caledonian Sleeper train boozing rap
Five Caledonian Sleeper staff have left the company after being caught turning up for work after drinking, The Scotsman has learned.

They were suspended in two incidents on separate trains and then allowed to resign rather than be sacked.

Operator Serco is understood to have warned other staff that any further incidents will result in dismissal.

The Office of Rail and Road (ORR), the rail regulator, has asked the firm what action it is taking “to ensure the situation does not happen again”.

The first incident happened at Euston Station in London last week when four members of staff turned up for work on the Highlander Sleeper, which operates to Aberdeen, Fort William and Inverness.

The fifth person was caught in Glasgow, from where the Lowlander Sleeper runs to London.

An industry source said: “Sleeper staff have been told anyone caught from now on, under the influence of any substance, will not be allowed the easy option of resignation. “That allows the retention of all rail travel passes, pension contributions and the option to be re-employed within the industry with no trace of drunk on duty recorded.”

The cases will come as an embarrassment to the Scottish Government, which split the overnight service from ScotRail four years ago to significantly improve its quality.

Derek Mackay, the-then transport minister, said his ambition was for the Sleepers “to be emblematic of the best of Scotland”.

Ryan Flaherty, Serco’s managing director for Caledonian Sleeper, said: “Our primary priority is the safety of our guests and staff, and we have clear staff policies in place around alcohol consumption.

“Immediately after being made aware of potential breaches, we investigated and can confirm that five members of on-board crew have left the company.”

Serco denied a claim it had not carried out random drugs and alcohol checks on staff, which it is required to do. It said it “took the poor behaviour of a few of our staff extremely seriously” but it would be “inappropriate” to provide more details.

A spokesperson for the ORR said: “We are aware of the incident and are talking to Caledonian Sleeper about this and what actions the train company is taking to ensure the situation does not happen again.”

A Transport Scotland spokesperson said: “Staff disciplinary issues are a matter for Serco Caledonian Sleeper. There is a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol and drug use across the UK rail industry.

“The testing procedures put in place by Caledonian Sleeper addressed this issue immediately and ensured passenger safety was maintained.”

https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...aledonian-sleeper-train-boozing-rap-1-4897901

And, in unrelated news - Susan Calman* has been announced as the voice of the auto-announcer on the new stock.

* via a very short audio clip on Twitter and Facebook as a teaser then more substantial PR.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
This sounds entirely implausible (I happen to know a number of the Inverness-based crew personally) for many reasons. I wonder if such a fantasy has been invented by someone with an axe to grind against CS (for whatever reason), not least because on the one night this year that the Inverness service was cancelled (11th February), the Inverness crew had to travel north on the Lowlander to Glasgow/Edinburgh and by day train back to base, getting back very late (not until 12 noon). There is simply no chance that an incident like that could have occurred in those circumstances. In any case, the Inverness crew that I know are extremely dedicated and professional and would never even conceive of acting in that way while on duty.

It’s complete nonsense*

*not the word I originally typed but I see we’re not allowed to use that here.

I was travelling in the same carriage as some the Inverness crew on the ScotRail service the night the sleeper was cancelled. The staff were exceptional throughout and a real credit to the railway-which I made known both in person at head office (which the staff took those of us with connections over to) and by email. Hugely contradictory to the extraordinary allegation above!

It is a very sad state of affairs, but alas the original story appears true. I can only assume Serco will be stepping up its random checks now.
It’s embarrassing for all Britain’s rail companies, Serco in particular, and the Scottish Government.
But it does show one should not jump to conclusions, one way or another.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
...And, in unrelated news - Susan Calman* has been announced as the voice of the auto-announcer on the new stock.

* via a very short audio clip on Twitter and Facebook as a teaser then more substantial PR.

http://magazine.dailybusinessgroup....ys-it-will-be-no-joke-being-woken-by-herself/

Caledonian Sleeper: voice of new trains

Guests travelling on the new Caledonian Sleeper will soon be woken by one of Scotland’s most familiar voices.

Scottish comedian, television presenter and writer Susan Calman, who is regular panellist on a number of BBC Radio 4 shows including The News Quiz and I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue, is also a keen user of the overnight ‘hotel’ trains.

Susan, who will voice all scheduled announcements, is a frequent guest on board and a huge advocate of sleeper travel. During her time on BBC One’s Strictly Come Dancinglast year, she even filmed on the train as part of the show.

She said: “I spend almost as much time on the Caledonian Sleeper as I do in my own house and so it was a great pleasure to give voice to the new trains. I look forward to being woken up by myself. Although it might give me a fright occasionally.”

The new Caledonian Sleeper trains will be introduced by Serco at the end of May and for the first time will include rooms with double beds and en-suite toilet and showers.

Ryan Flaherty, managing director at Caledonian Sleeper, said: “Susan is the perfect fit as the voice of Caledonian Sleeper. Like us, she has a real sense of adventure and is completely at home travelling around Scotland.

“Our ambition with our new trains is to deliver a timeless experience for guests and I know Susan is thrilled to be part of such a huge change to the service. We’re firmly on the final countdown now and I cannot wait for guests to step on board and see the new Caledonian Sleeper for the first time.”

The new fleet, built at a cost of over £100m and part funded by a capital grant from the Scottish government, has been designed to accommodate the modern-day traveller and cater to both business and leisure travel guests.

Other new features will be included, such as a hotel-style key card entry system, more accessible rooms, charging panels and WiFi throughout the train.

The trains will initially be introduced on the Lowlander route between Glasgow / Edinburgh and London before being rolled out onto the Highlander which serves Fort William, Aberdeen and Inverness.

Sorry for late posting of article quote - working from my phone.

Last edited:

Established Member
Our usual trusty source (lol!) Al Dalton has an 'exclusive' this morning which seems to echo this sorry tale… quote follows for those who'd like to avoid the ad-infested Scotsman website:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...aledonian-sleeper-train-boozing-rap-1-4897901

And, in unrelated news - Susan Calman* has been announced as the voice of the auto-announcer on the new stock.

From what I understand locally in the Highlands (and this is at third hand but from a reliable source), unsurprisingly there are significant inaccuracies in The Scotsman story, not least that the Highlander incident happened ‘last week’. Nor do I believe that the individuals involved got as far as reporting for work at Euston, in defence of CS and their procedures the issue was discovered much earlier and between shifts.

Earlier claims in this forum that a service found itself cancelled as a result are also incorrect.

I’m not seeking to minimise the seriousness of the situation, which is appalling and like something out of the 1970s, but I don’t believe that it’s quite true that four staff turned up for work drunk.

6Z09

I would be very surprised if anyone resigning retains rail passes as stated by "industry source" there is a pretty straightforward ruling on these things across the industry.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I would be very surprised if anyone resigning retains rail passes as stated by "industry source" there is a pretty straightforward ruling on these things across the industry.

Only if they are safeguarded, and the resignation counts as a retirement.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Only if they are safeguarded, and the resignation counts as a retirement.
And if you are made redundant (although that obviously isn't resigning)
But the article also states resigning means you keep your pension contributions. Surely if you are sacked you also retain pension contributions, as it is your money?
And any further staff caught won't be offered the easy option of resigning. Surely resigning is the choice of the employee - an employer cannot stop you from resigning? Sounds like the spokesperson from CS is talking out of their backside. Serco might get away with talking to prisoners like that, but should be a bit more professional with others!

trebor79

Established Member
I've known someone (in another industry) having their resignation rejected during disciplinary proceedings, so it can happen.

Mathew S

Established Member
I've known someone (in another industry) having their resignation rejected during disciplinary proceedings, so it can happen.
Ditto, though it's relatively rare in my experience.

It's also possible to reach a 'compromise agreement' where employee and employer agree a contract termination without having to go through the hassle and expense of disciplinary action. Because these generally include confidentiality clauses, they're often preferred by both parties.

mde

From what I understand locally in the Highlands (and this is at third hand but from a reliable source), unsurprisingly there are significant inaccuracies in The Scotsman story
I can’t say I’m astonished…

Deafdoggie

Established Member
From what I understand locally in the Highlands (and this is at third hand but from a reliable source), unsurprisingly there are significant inaccuracies in The Scotsman story, not least that the Highlander incident happened ‘last week’. Nor do I believe that the individuals involved got as far as reporting for work at Euston, in defence of CS and their procedures the issue was discovered much earlier and between shifts.

Earlier claims in this forum that a service found itself cancelled as a result are also incorrect.

I’m not seeking to minimise the seriousness of the situation, which is appalling and like something out of the 1970s, but I don’t believe that it’s quite true that four staff turned up for work drunk.

If they hadn’t reported for duty, I can’t see they had done anything wrong? Surely what they do between shifts is their affair? If they then report for duty unfit that’s the problem. If they were still off duty and Serco said don’t turn up, that’s very different. But also I don’t see why they would need to improve procedures. Unless it had gone unnoticed on the previous nights journey of course.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I expect they have a policy that staff lodging aren't allowed to consume any alcohol, so if they were seen drinking during the day, Serco would have to take action, even if they hadn't booked on yet for the following night.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
And if you are made redundant (although that obviously isn't resigning)
But the article also states resigning means you keep your pension contributions. Surely if you are sacked you also retain pension contributions, as it is your money?
And any further staff caught won't be offered the easy option of resigning. Surely resigning is the choice of the employee - an employer cannot stop you from resigning? Sounds like the spokesperson from CS is talking out of their backside. Serco might get away with talking to prisoners like that, but should be a bit more professional with others!

In most railway companies, if you are sacked for gross misconduct (which reporting for work drunk probably would be) then you lose the company’s contributions to your pension. This is about two thirds of the pension by value, so can be worth a lot of money.

kkong

The Inverness Courier says they "reported for work after drinking" and the ORR are interested in the case.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk...ter-reporting-for-work-after-drinking-176329/
FIVE Caledonian Sleeper staff have resigned after being caught turning up for work after drinking.

It is understood they were suspended after two incidents on separate trains and then allowed to resign rather than be sacked.

The Office of Rail and Road (ORR), the rail regulator, has asked the firm what action it is taking “to ensure the situation does not happen again”.

Ryan Flaherty, Serco’s managing director for Caledonian Sleeper, said: “Our primary priority is the safety of our guests and staff, and we have clear staff policies in place around alcohol consumption.

“Immediately after being made aware of potential breaches, we investigated and can confirm that five members of on-board crew have left....

Last edited by a moderator:

greatkingrat

Established Member
In most railway companies, if you are sacked for gross misconduct (which reporting for work drunk probably would be) then you lose the company’s contributions to your pension. This is about two thirds of the pension by value, so can be worth a lot of money.

A common mess-room misconception - but not true. The only time money can be taken from your pension is if the company has suffered a direct financial loss due to a criminal or fraudulent act. The vast majority of dismissed employees (even if gross misconduct) would not be affected, and someone who turned up for work drunk certainly wouldn't be.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A common mess-room misconception - but not true. The only time money can be taken from your pension is if the company has suffered a direct financial loss due to a criminal or fraudulent act. The vast majority of dismissed employees (even if gross misconduct) would not be affected, and someone who turned up for work drunk certainly wouldn't be.

I’m going to check that out then; I know someone who lost the company contributions to his pension (being distinct from his own contributions), when he left on Gross Misconduct. It was quite a case study.

kkong

I don't work in the rail industry, but it would be extraordinary if past company contributions were *removed* from a DC pension pot.

It may be different for a DB pension, which may be the case for some long-standing rail staff.