• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

al78

Established Member
I tried to book similar on the GWR sleeper only to end up in the front coach right behind the engine. Little sleep that night.

Same in several different brands of hotels over the years with inconsiderate guests walking past your room late at night after a night drinking. They seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to bang doors and speak loudly waking everyone up in the small hours.

They don't think, full stop, like many other situations where people act with lack of consideration for no good reason, other than they can't be bothered to think, because it requires a small amount of mental effort.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
They don't think, full stop, like many other situations where people act with lack of consideration for no good reason, other than they can't be bothered to think, because it requires a small amount of mental effort.

To be fair when you are drunk being ‘quiet’ isn’t quite the same.
SHHHHHHHH!.....giggle giggle. And the bit when you try to quietly close the door the last 5mm, which turns out to be more like 5 inches.

Mordac

Established Member
To be fair when you are drunk being ‘quiet’ isn’t quite the same.
SHHHHHHHH!.....giggle giggle. And the bit when you try to quietly close the door the last 5mm, which turns out to be more like 5 inches.
Not if you're a quiet drunk like me. :p

43 302

Established Member
Does anyone here know if the sleeper tickets ever depreciate in price? I assumed the price varied according to demand but one of the trips I am considering making (EDB to EUS on the 19th) has about 20 club rooms left and the price is £315. Is this likely to go down? Cheers.

alistairlees

Established Member
Does anyone here know if the sleeper tickets ever depreciate in price? I assumed the price varied according to demand but one of the trips I am considering making (EDB to EUS on the 19th) has about 20 club rooms left and the price is £315. Is this likely to go down? Cheers.
I don't think it will go down. It could go up though.

TimboM

Established Member
As far as I know there's x number of berths in ascending price bands and when they are sold, the next batch of berths is released at the next (higher price) band. So the earlier you book the more likely you are to get one of the cheaper prices and the longer you leave it you risk the price increasing.

It'll usually give some indication on the website if the rooms in that band are running out, e.g. "only 2 rooms left at this price..."

jumble

My take on this is
The sleeper is bath unique and limited capacity way of travelling between London and Scotland
Although people are justifiably complaining it seems as though the loadings are excellent and they are able to sell most beds
This puts them in the same category as British Airways who do not have a great reputation for their business class but are far more profitable across the Atlantic than other airlines who spend far more on better business class in their planes
Why
BA have one big advantage: Their slots at Heathrow
Likewise I think that just like Amtrak in the states and the Canadian who suffer many complaints on tripadvisor but have good sales the CS beds trump other methods of travel for many people.
Therefore the issues are no where near as bad as made out as the punters will just keep coming

Mainliner

Therefore the issues are no where near as bad as made out as the punters will just keep coming

If people want to pay for an en-suite berth and are happy to accept the risk that the shower and/or the toilet don’t work, that’s up to them, but I won’t be doing it until the issues are resolved (irrespective of any refunds - I want a working en-suite berth, not a refund days or weeks later).

jagardner1984

Personally I quite liked the showers in the lounge at Euston (home is at the Glasgow end so not an issue for me here) and it seems to me offering lounge provision to the next class down (Classic) now Club have their en suites, with a bit of investment in some decent shower facilities at strategic points, would be a fairly low cost way of improving the service, and boost the “ready for a day’s work” marketing approach. Personally I think that’s going to much easier to consistently deliver than pipe work, heaters and tanks of water / poo sloshing around at 90mph for the next 40 years. Might at least improve the offer to customers if/when their plumbing fails.

it will also be interesting to see if they do anything in the way of “demand management” in the coming months. £20 off your next journey to customers who’ve bought tickets in the last few troublesome months ? That perhaps Gives them the advantage of mopping up some spare capacity in the quiet months, still giving an enhanced income from otherwise empty berths, and not losing otherwise full price custom to bargain berth searchers. I appreciate the “each berth is subsided” arguments, but presumably on a Tuesday night in February, the empty ones are subsidised rather more ...

theironroad

Established Member
Well finally got to experience the new stock on a Euston to Inverness trip last week.

Left on time and arrived on time,;maybe 2 mins early.

Booked in a classic solo and points that came to mind were.
. Friendly staff at coach check in, explained about key card and breakfast card. I didn't ask for breakfast or use lounge so can't comment there.
. Opening door , first impression was it was nice and smart but the aisle next to bed seemed narrower.
. Probably need to label the fact that there is a pull out table under sink, which once in place was very useful.
.basin is quite shallow and means can't get much water into it without the risk of it all slopping out when in motion
. Water temp was fine, but pressure not great and not a constant flow but a pulsing stream which is odd, not sure if a design or fault
. Guess the biggest change is the head space when using the top bunk. It's fair to say that it's not great and I've always tried to use the top for a smoother sleep, also no table or shelf for cups etc on top shelf either above the be or at the end of the bed like the previous stock had.
. Lights. Had to you card an paper to block out light that emits from around one of the buttons on both bunks. Once I'd n!kicked those 2, then was good.
. The window seems to have a device to allow it to be used as an emergency exit, but seems you can hear air . I blocked the thing by putting a pillow behind the tap and seemed to work.
. Mattress seems a bit thin as, almost futon like , as could feel the base (I'm not particularly heavy......or light!)
. As the mattress is quite thin, the sides of the bunk can be felt when moving. (I think this means that the bunk could be stowed)
. Sitting on lower bunk was comfortable having a beer and watching tablet.
. Sheets weren't scratchy and pillows/duvet good.
. The temperature control was good and the HVAC was quicker to respond to changes
. I wear ear plugs a lot so didn't hear loads of screeching, only heard door alarms once I think and that's before ear plugs
.I did make sure I tried to get as close to middle of coach, but from what I see on the berth plans, the best possible will be room 7.
. Guess the major difference which I felt (or didn't) was the 'snatching' that used to happen when the train was pulling away which meant a much smoother ride
. Though I woke up in the night, I managed to sleep through the splitting at Edinburgh which also good.
. Overall I'd certainly say I felt the ride was smoother overall which is a definite positive

The overall space in the cabin 'seems' slightly reduced and I think in twin mode is going to be cosy, I suppose strangers could share but overall I think I'm happier with solo use now.

Would use it again.

Essexman

Established Member
Has anyone sampled the Highland Breakfast on the new stock? The old one was poor but I'm hoping this is better - or am I best to stick to their excellent bacon rolls?
I'm travelling to Fort William on Wednesday night and looking forward to breakfast on the West Highland Line.

Far north 37

Established Member
66727 maritime one livery topping 73967 on thesouthbound inverness portion tonight 73970 sidelined at inverness with alternator problems.

MrEd

96421C48-CA45-453B-9F48-D54304D88C06.jpeg
Has anyone sampled the Highland Breakfast on the new stock? The old one was poor but I'm hoping this is better - or am I best to stick to their excellent bacon rolls?
I'm travelling to Fort William on Wednesday night and looking forward to breakfast on the West Highland Line.

I’m not a fussy eater, but I must say that I quite enjoyed the Highland breakfast last time I had it in the lounge going north to Inverness. I thought it was very decent and nicely presented, it came with toast and chilled orange juice too. It was a massive improvement over how it was on the old stock that’s for sure.

JohnMcL7

66727 maritime one livery topping 73967 on thesouthbound inverness portion tonight 73970 sidelined at inverness with alternator problems.

Any idea what's on it tonight? I was disappointed to miss that 66 as it's an unusual livery.

TimboM

Established Member
Thanks very much for the information, will pop down tonight and have a look.

John
Due to work 1M16 tonight to EDB then back to 2x 73s in the morning for the northbound, so a trip tonight if you want to see 66727 is definitely recommended!

Last edited:

JohnMcL7

Due to work 1M16 tonight to EDB then back to 2x 73s in the morning for the northbound, so a trip tonight if you want to see 66727 is definitely recommend!

Don't worry, went down through the snow and ice this evening to go see the unusual 66 in case it wasn't back.

DSC00270-XL.jpg

Last edited:

JohnMcL7

Haha, maybe they live in the heights of the Cairngorms, but doesn't look very arctic on the platform/station there..,

The platform was cleared and some of the main roads were fine as well but other bits made me grateful I wasn't lazy and took the winter bike instead of the road bike.

I went back down this afternoon and the 66 is back and sitting on the siding with 970 and another pair of 73's are on the sleeper. I assume the 66 will haul 970 back on its own at some point?

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member

davidgiles

Situation ongoing at Beattock, where the Down Highlander is stuck behind a failed freight (looks to be 4S24 1913 DIRFT-Mossend), which is awaiting a rescue loco. Mail train here as well to complicate /further delay matters. Two hours late and counting...

Not the fault of CS of course but information has been hard to come by, shall we say.

Far north 37

Established Member
Situation ongoing at Beattock, where the Down Highlander is stuck behind a failed freight (looks to be 4S24 1913 DIRFT-Mossend), which is awaiting a rescue loco. Mail train here as well to complicate /further delay matters. Two hours late and counting...

Not the fault of CS of course but information has been hard to come by, shall we say.
Highlander currently 146 late now defective train was 4S49 daventry to grangemouth hauled by 66174.

TimboM

Established Member

Out of interest are you on board and did you request the "wake me up in the event of significant disruption" option?

Highlander currently 146 late now defective train was 4S49 daventry to grangemouth hauled by 66174.
Unreliable 66s :rolleyes::rolleyes:

davidgiles

Out of interest are you on board and did you request the "wake me up in the event of significant disruption" option?

Unreliable 66s :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes I am, and no I didn’t. I’m on the seats (surprisingly boneshaking, given the newness) and sniffed out an attendant. Toilet broken in the Aberdeen seated carriage too.

trebor79

Established Member
Crikey. I think if it was me in a "bone shaking" seat all night and we came to a stop I'd be thinking "Yes, time to grab some shut eye"!

TimboM

Established Member
Yes I am, and no I didn’t. I’m on the seats (surprisingly boneshaking, given the newness) and sniffed out an attendant. Toilet broken in the Aberdeen seated carriage too.
Broken WC to give you that retro feel of being on a Mk2... ;)

Knock-on delay to 1S26 (Down Lowlander) too which is currently in Abington loop. 92038 on the front of the very delayed 1S25 currently awaiting a path into Waverley was/is due to run back to work the Edinburgh portion from Carstairs. You'd think running 1S26 into Glasgow as a Load 16 (if it could be accommodated) and sorting out ticket acceptance with ScotRail would get Edinburgh passengers to their destination quicker and Glasgow passengers to Glasgow on time?

Established Member
How come it was the freight that failed? the Highlander was 45 mins in front of the freight at Wamphrey? Wasn’t it the highlander that failed?

d9009alycidon

Broken WC to give you that retro feel of being on a Mk2... ;)

Knock-on delay to 1S26 (Down Lowlander) too which is currently in Abington loop. 92038 on the front of the very delayed 1S25 currently awaiting a path into Waverley was/is due to run back to work the Edinburgh portion from Carstairs. You'd think running 1S26 into Glasgow as a Load 16 (if it could be accommodated) and sorting out ticket acceptance with ScotRail would get Edinburgh passengers to their destination quicker and Glasgow passengers to Glasgow on time?

Seems they did just that, Sleeper did not split at Carstairs Edit: hold that Gen, just seen it in P2 at Central, dont this P2 can hold 16 plus a loco