• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

alangla

How come it was the freight that failed? the Highlander was 45 mins in front of the freight at Wamphrey? Wasn’t it the highlander that failed?

Posts elsewhere suggest it was 4S47 that failed rather than 4S49. 1S25 was looped to allow 4S49 to potentially assist in rear but a 66 was sent from Mossend to assist from the front. Would have thought a 92 would have made the perfect assisting loco, but I guess there’s a desire to avoid that with passengers on. It would also have had an awkward set-back move at Carstairs presumably too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

Posts elsewhere suggest it was 4S47 that failed rather than 4S49. 1S25 was looped to allow 4S49 to potentially assist in rear but a 66 was sent from Mossend to assist from the front. Would have thought a 92 would have made the perfect assisting loco, but I guess there’s a desire to avoid that with passengers on. It would also have had an awkward set-back move at Carstairs presumably too

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the codes - which service is 4S47?

Established Member

Ah that makes lot more sense. Thanks

Essexman

Established Member
Is a suitable back up loco kept at Fort William or if the 73 breaks down does it rely on bring one north?

Bassman

Hardly surprising that a customer copies a strong complaint to CS on to Tripadvisor after over a week with no response...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...iam_Lochaber_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

Shocking experience for one customer. The cost exorbitant for an essential train service! Forget this hotel nonsense! Why cannot Scottish Govt., Transport Scotland and Serco not concentrate on an essential service of connection with robustness in management at all levels.
Expect Scottish Government move to remove the franchise from SERCO soon, having failed to deliver a proper specification for robust eco-friendly for night sleeper trains.

MrEd

Hardly surprising that a customer copies a strong complaint to CS on to Tripadvisor after over a week with no response...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...iam_Lochaber_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

I submitted a complaint to CS after the farce of 5-6 Nov on the down highlander (which had been very poorly handled), and it took about three weeks to get a response (and four weeks to get the delay repay back). It was suggested in an automated reply when I submitted the email that it would take several weeks to get the complaint/claim processed due to the high volume of incidents that CS have to deal with (I don’t think they have anywhere near enough staff to deal with the volume of delay repay claims and complaints). I don’t personally see the point of venting frustration on TripAdvisor as it’s hardly likely to bring about any kind of solution (the reviews are anonymous after all). I waited for the feedback, got back a fairly detailed email and was assured that I would receive a full refund, as arrival in Inverness was 100 minutes late.

I’ve looked at the review and some of the complaints are petty but others (like the lack of running water and lack of catering on the southbound leg) are quite serious, and show that CS still have work to do in ensuring their premium product is consistent. CS need to get their act together here. It won’t be long before a very disgruntled traveller (paying extortionate first class fares) raises their issues with an MP/MSP or Transport Scotland if farces like this continue (and they keep taking ages to respond to complaints). They can’t really afford many more farces like this with the fares that they charge.

Bassman

I submitted a complaint to CS after the farce of 5-6 Nov on the down highlander (which had been very poorly handled), and it took about three weeks to get a response (and four weeks to get the delay repay back). It was suggested in an automated reply when I submitted the email that it would take several weeks to get the complaint/claim processed due to the high volume of incidents that CS have to deal with (I don’t think they have anywhere near enough staff to deal with the volume of delay repay claims and complaints). I don’t personally see the point of venting frustration on TripAdvisor as it’s hardly likely to bring about any kind of solution (the reviews are anonymous after all). I waited for the feedback, got back a fairly detailed email and was assured that I would receive a full refund, as arrival in Inverness was 100 minutes late.

I’ve looked at the review and some of the complaints are petty but others (like the lack of running water and lack of catering on the southbound leg) are quite serious, and show that CS still have work to do in ensuring their premium product is consistent. CS need to get their act together here. It won’t be long before a very disgruntled traveller (paying extortionate first class fares) raises their issues with an MP/MSP or Transport Scotland if farces like this continue (and they keep taking ages to respond to complaints). They can’t really afford many more farces like this with the fares that they charge.

Irrespective of judging the seriousness or otherwise of complaints, I compare this customer service with Airbnb. As a user of Airbnb and letting out an apartment, on two occasions over the summer I had to deal with issues. Their support is immediate and response is within an hour, with follow up advice and checking both by email and phone call that things have been resolved.

The parking of complaints for two three weeks is outrageous in modern times ( and of an organisation which markets as hotel service.)

al78

Established Member

I personally wouldn't chance trying to get an evening meal on the sleeper, as I don't trust it to be reliably available (I will eat at home or get a pub meal prior to boarding). The question is, are the poor experiences primarily down to bad luck or incompetence? If the former, there is little to be done apart from problem solving and implementing solutions, which might take some time, and requires motivation to do so. If the problems are down to incompetence, are there any penalties for those responsible? If not, and they continue to get demand, there is little incentive to change, change for improvement takes effort and maybe financial investment after all, and it is much easier to not bother.

MrEd

Shocking experience for one customer. The cost exorbitant for an essential train service! Forget this hotel nonsense! Why cannot Scottish Govt., Transport Scotland and Serco not concentrate on an essential service of connection with robustness in management at all levels.
Expect Scottish Government move to remove the franchise from SERCO soon, having failed to deliver a proper specification for robust eco-friendly for night sleeper trains.

One side of me wishes that the Scottish Government would, as the sleeper does seem a bit of a shadow of its former self at the moment. That said, the SG do have to realise that this is partly their fault, because they specified that the new operator (in 2015) had to make it into more of a ’tourist train’/’luxury experience’. They now need to realise that that business model is (or will soon be) unworkable (as chances of repeat business will be slim if new users are faced with nothing but farce) and get back to basics. I don’t necessarily think we need to get rid of/blame Serco, as they are merely following the Scottish Government’s brief (and I don’t fancy CS being reincorporated into the Scotrail franchise any time soon in the light of their own difficulties with the HST project). What the SG needs to do is to encourage Serco to get back to basics, forget the gimmicks and deliver a reliable, punctual night train with facilities which work and which are deliverable night in, night out.

MrEd

The parking of complaints for two three weeks is outrageous in modern times ( and of an organisation which markets as hotel service.)

I agree, CS can and need to do better here. I think they need more office staff as well as on-train crew. Of course, this was one reason why it made sense running it as part of Scotrail, as large numbers of office staff who could handle complaints were there anyway and could deal with other issues as well as the sleeper.

MrEd

I personally wouldn't chance trying to get an evening meal on the sleeper, as I don't trust it to be reliably available (I will eat at home or get a pub meal prior to boarding). The question is, are the poor experiences primarily down to bad luck or incompetence? If the former, there is little to be done apart from problem solving and implementing solutions, which might take some time, and requires motivation to do so. If the problems are down to incompetence, are there any penalties for those responsible? If not, and they continue to get demand, there is little incentive to change, change for improvement takes effort and maybe financial investment after all, and it is much easier to not bother.

The trouble is, when you advertise a service, people will expect it to be delivered (and not every prospective traveller will know of the stories on this thread or read tripadvisor). Some folk do not have the luxury of eating beforehand or getting a pub meal, as (for instance) I do not have time to eat between leaving work in Cambridge, catching the train from Cambridge to Liverpool Street or Kings Cross and boarding the sleeper at Euston, nor do I have that luxury southbound, as there is barely time to do anything between the arrival of the last Kyle train at Inverness and the departure of the southbound sleeper. I could of course take a packed tea but, as the catering service is advertised, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect it to be delivered (or to be given reasonable notice if it does have to be curtailed).

I am beginning to suspect that management do not care as much as they should, and that incompetence is playing a part in many of these farces. They will only start to take this seriously, though, when repeat business fails to materialise, resulting in quiet trains, or when a very disgruntled traveller complains to an MP/MSP/Transport Scotland, or threatens legal action over misleading/false advertising. At the end of the day, any good hospitality business should care about feedback and repeat business, but I don’t somehow see much evidence of that here. I do hope that some compensation will be given to the passengers in the tripadvisor review after their unsatisfactory Fort William trip as a goodwill gesture, but unfortunately I don’t think this is mandatory, as arrival was on time on both trips.

Established Member
I think that this is the nub of it. Regardless of the faults and problems, had onboard staff been able to escalate and resolve the passenger's complaints - even if it was only for a more senior decision maker to offer compensation - during the outbound journey then this could've still had a relatively happy ending.

When you email CS, the automated reply promises nothing better than a response within 20 days. Responses on Twitter are haphazard to say the least. The only way you can be sure of getting their attention is to sit on hold on the phone for anything up to half an hour.

What's tragic about this is that when you do start to communicate with the right person, or they pick up your case proactively, then the after care provided can be very good indeed, and far better than ever managed by Scotrail - I've heard heroic tales of passengers being taxied through the night and trains held specially for them, and substantial levels of compensation paid for relatively minor failings.

It's the lack of adequate customer service infrastructure or consistency of its delivery, both on and off the trains, that makes irritating faults turn into intolerable situations.

MrEd

...or before a very disgruntled MP/MSP experiences it for themselves!

Very few of those travel on it these days, so I think a more humble passenger may need to send a polite but frank letter to one!

Richard P

Social media within CS is just about the worst I have ever experienced. Inverness and Fort William highlanders combined must have been 8 hours late this morning. Not a single tweet - as posted above, it feels to me like Serco a) don't care and b) want out #totalshambles

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Social media within CS is just about the worst I have ever experienced. Inverness and Fort William highlanders combined must have been 8 hours late this morning. Not a single tweet - as posted above, it feels to me like Serco a) don't care and b) want out #totalshambles

You would have thought that the staff on board were dealing directly in person with the concerns of the passengers rather than a social media team. It is not as if anyone was waiting to board the trains (other than on the West Highland Line).

Richard P

You would have thought that the staff on board were dealing directly in person with the concerns of the passengers rather than a social media team. It is not as if anyone was waiting to board the trains (other than on the West Highland Line).
I keep hearing this is about staff and customers on board but it isn't. It's also about those people meeting family, friends etc. and turning up at stations only to find out the train is 4 hours late. Yes I can hear you saying they can find out on their 'phones or look on-line, I accept all of that but not everyone is tech savvy, nor is the signal great in the highlands either. Basic, core information is what is needed - maybe I'm too old and outdated in thinking the customer is king?!
For the record today, the Highlander was:
148' late arriving Aberdeen
225' late arriving Fort William
172' late arriving Inverness
In total 545' late and not a single reference to this either on the website or Twitter

Essexman

Established Member
The delays often aren’t the fault of CS but they should do more to keep people up to date. Twitter shouldn’t disappear through the day and website should be updated promptly.

Muzer

Established Member
The up highlander from Inverness this evening is delayed by about an hour due to minimum rest time problems (ie a knock-on from this morning's delayed arrival). They expect an on-time arrival into Euston though. We shall see...

Essexman

Established Member
I’m on the Highlander to Fort William. Just departed Euston First time I’ve been on the West Highland Line in the new stock. Strange not to be at the front of the train. Once again I’ve forgotten to bring blu tac to cover the illuminated light switch. Train busy. All berths to Fort William are sold.

awsnews

The delays often aren’t the fault of CS but they should do more to keep people up to date. Twitter shouldn’t disappear through the day and website should be updated promptly.
It would be interesting to see how up to date the dedicated information screens at the stations are during disruption, they definitely provide a direct connection to the customer service centre for enquiries (not sure of the hours of operation though)

MadCommuter

CS has a limited number of 'guests' each night and several tweets refer to each guest being contacted individually when there's severe disruption. This may be why there's not as much public information as you might otherwise expect.

BRX

Established Member

I see the lack of food as the most serious issue. Surely there should be a contingency plan for what happens when the catering fails. Even if it's as simple as someone getting a bunch of sandwiches from the supermarket so that there's something to offer people rather than making them spend a 12 hour journey hungry. If getting something to eat can't be relied upon then what's the point of having catering facilities on board at all! All this applies whether someone's paid 900 pounds for a berth or 50 for a seat.

TimboM

Established Member
I’m on the Highlander to Fort William. Just departed Euston First time I’ve been on the West Highland Line in the new stock. Strange not to be at the front of the train. Once again I’ve forgotten to bring blu tac to cover the illuminated light switch. Train busy. All berths to Fort William are sold.
All berths sold on a midweek night in winter?? But the business model has failed and the whole service is in disarray according to this thread??

philthetube

Established Member
I don’t personally see the point of venting frustration on TripAdvisor as it’s hardly likely to bring about any kind of solution (the reviews are anonymous after all).

The more bad publicity on all platforms the more likely something is to happen