Caledonian Sleeper

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Essexman, 10 Jan 2019.

1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Losing power without warning is definitely an issue. What if someone had got in the shower and lathered up, then the power went?

2. JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7 Member

I think they have installed a shore supply at Inverness for the mk5's although that's just from observation so I could be wrong. When the 67 was there during the day it used to sit with its engine on and when the 73's first came, one of them would also sit with the engine on I assumed powering the carriages. More recently I noticed the 73's were silent and when I looked at the station end of the carriages there were cables attached to the carriage from the station and the equipment looked to be recently installed.

3. Hattie.smores7

Hattie.smores7 New Member

Hello everyone.
    I'm new here.
    Does the Caledonian Sleeper still stop at Warrington Bank Quay(for a crew change)?

4. NewSt

NewSt Member

No, according to Realtime Trains neither the Lowlander or Highlander services stop there.

5. Steve Harris

Steve Harris Member

I think someone mentioned on here that the crew changes are carried out at Preston. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think crew changes are shown on Opentime trains, so might be a good idea to look on there ?

6. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

It might tonight as its a Friday and the crews will end up out of position tomorrow morning.

7. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

Driver changes usually take place at Preston and Crewe.

8. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Under normal circumstances, no.

9. Hattie.smores7

Hattie.smores7 New Member

They used to stop each night for crew changes at Warrington Bank Quay!

10. Far north 37

Far north 37 Established Member

Might of been because when dbc were operating them with them having a traincrew depot there.

11. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Exactly that though I'm sure latterly DBC also changed train crew (drivers/guards) at Preston (and Crewe) as well.

12. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

When was that? Must have been a very long time ago!

13. Essexman

Essexman Member

A quick reply from CS to my email below.
    They seem keen to give me compensation even though I didn't ask for it.
    The reply however doesn't say anything that suggests they might introduce a better system for reporting faults.

Dear Mr Essexman,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent journey with us.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and/or discomfort caused to you during your journey with us. Be assured that at Caledonian Sleeper we work hard to minimise disruption to our guests and are continually looking for ways to improve the services we offer.

Unfortunately, there are times where we fail to meet our guests’ needs and expectations. In light of this and the issues that you experienced I am able to offer compensation for the value of £97.50.

This compensation is for the issues that occurred on both services you mentioned in your previous email.

I would really like to thank you for your feedback regarding the showers, (especially when the train is in the station). I will pass this feedback as I fully understand your comments.

The bank card used on the transaction has now expired and I would like you to contact us directly so we can credit the funds to bank card of your choice (except for AMEX). If you wish to contact us on 0330 0600 500 we can credit this to your bank card and it will take up to 5 days to clear.

Please contact us and quote SC********* and we can process this credit to you.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back on board Caledonian Sleeper under better circumstances, in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards

14. Hipster Dashie

Hipster Dashie Member

Here's an interesting article that popped up in my Google feed, particularly one part which reads:

In particular, the part about guests being offered an overnight hotel stay with onward travel in the morning.

And here's the article: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/reviews/caledonian-sleeper-train/

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2020
  15. jagardner1984

jagardner1984 Member

Thanks for posting that review. It’s interesting to read something fair and balanced from someone coming from (normally) an aviation traveller perspective, where for all the faults, normally there is a big emphasis on customer service. It’s interesting that his synopsis is that (broken heating aside) the customer service offer (boarding, breakfast in times of delay) isn’t up to scratch with what is otherwise a very good useful time saving service.

on the small point of check in and passengers wandering around after the departure time trying to work out what’s happening, it makes you wonder if the norm could be for passengers to go to the lounge (waiting room for the seats ?) and then be called when the service is ready for boarding ? Similar to a gate being used to chorale passengers boarding an aircraft. Will there ever be a way of effectively communicating to people along a 200m train, many of whom haven’t used the service before ?

No easy solutions of course, but it’s an interesting review.

16. BRX

BRX Established Member

In my brief career in the hospitality industry, working a summer job in a run-down hotel, there was one thing I was taught which I think was absolutely right - it was the importance of what happens when a punter first arrives at the door of, in that case, the restaurant. I was told that even if you're busy, and can't attend to them immediately, just acknowledge them, so they know someone is going to deal with them. Don't leave them standing there wondering what's happening, what is going to happen next, and whether anyone's noticed them. People will tolerate a wait, if it's not combined with anxiety or uncertainty - but if it is, then that sets the scene for the rest of the experience. Many times when I've boarded the sleeper recently, there's been lots of people simply unsure what's happening. A ragged queue on the platform, some people that may or may not be staff milling around at a slight distance. Sometimes I end up telling slightly anxious folk what the form is. A similar situation sometimes (but not always) exists in the lounge car, with hurried staff ignoring new arrivals.

17. marks87

marks87 Established Member

Can Club/Double passengers still access the lounge at Euston since the change to Avanti?

I'm booked in a Club room on the northbound Highlander in February and would quite like to use the lounge beforehand - so hopefully the arrangement is still active.

18. alistairlees

alistairlees Established Member

Still active I'm sure.

19. BucksBones

BucksBones Member

I note that the choices didn't include "get the train as planned despite it being a bit chilly". I'd much rather have used an extra blanket or two (and maybe had a couple more whiskies!) than get a coach or a morning train service arriving later. I'd have been a bit cross in that situation if that wasn't even an option.

20. Flying Snail

Flying Snail Member

Given that the train had been sitting in Inverness all day in winter the coaches without heating would have been more than "a bit chilly", knowingly putting passengers in a cabin that was likely going to be in single figures all night would be pretty reckless, both for the passengers wellbeing and their job security. They would also end up in the situation of people swearing blind they were up for a night in a cold cabin only to turn up a few hours later having changed their minds and the staff stuck with nowhere to put them other than turning the lounge car into a dormitory.

I think this is one of those situations where people need to be protected from their own stupidity.

Considering there have been reports previously where it was take a coach or nowt, that they have offered a hotel and day train is an improvement but only to the level I would expect from their advertised "premium" product.

The poor organisation, communication and customer service as well as the mechanical issues is just more of the same, failings that there is no sign of being sorted under SERCO.

21. Crepello

Crepello Member

First point agreed entirely.

Second point, to me the essential difference is force majeure (recent WCML blockages) vs the referenced circumstances, which were wholly within the control of CS or their contractors. The latter justifies overnight hotac and a decent budget to retain customer goodwill. The former really doesn't - no more so than an airport being shut by winter weather.

22. cb a1

cb a1 Member

I have travelled on the lowlander to London since Avanti were in operation (first week IIRC). I was able to access the lounge at Euston that morning.

23. BucksBones

BucksBones Member

Ouch! You're right though, of course.

24. marks87

marks87 Established Member

Thanks, good to hear.

25. Peter Sarf

Peter Sarf Established Member

It appears that the pairings are the same but that what were at opposite ends of the West Coast Main Line are now at the same end. Witness the two Down services tonight - the stock for these was travelling in opposite directions before Christmas.

Thinking about it there may have been less nights that the Highlander ran over the break ?. If it was one less night then things will have got out of sync (I don't mean that as a problem).

26. TimboM

TimboM Established Member

Only the Lowlander ran on Friday night due to the engineering blockade at Haymarket.

27. Peter Sarf

Peter Sarf Established Member

Thanks for that. So the whole Highlander missed a cycle.

28. Bill57p9

Bill57p9 New Member

Operationally the Highlander could use Mossend today, though Waverley has been used for regular Highlander sleeper loco changes since the early 90s, even before the 3 services ran combined south of Edinburgh (and before the Fort William portion doubled as a day service).
    Someone once told me it was because Mossend is too busy & critical to the freight business overnight, whilst Waverley is otherwise unused at those times.

That said, challenging extant habits is often if not usually worthwhile.

29. gingerheid

gingerheid Member

Was on the sleeper again last night.

As always, it's totally the only way to travel...

... but, the small things that should have been fixed by now are starting to get annoying. Every single time I've travelled since they stopped handing out keys on the platform I've walked along the platform to find the door locked, and then had to try and find a member of staff to let me in. It must be possible to fix this!

And there's also still a rattle coming from somewhere inside the lock of the connecting doors :(

30. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

I've only been on the new stock once but when I checked in they told me key was inside and door was open , which it all was.

It would certainly be a bit annoying if you found door locked and had to return to find staff, often a few coaches away on platform.

Did they hand out the keys initially at check in ? If so, why the change ?