• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

theironroad

Established Member
Quite a bit of coverage on the benefits of Dellner couplers on the new coaches, will they really make such a difference?

I use delner couplers on emus and they can be pretty smooth. Sometimes a bit of a bump, but can be very good. On emus there is no need to do a 'pull away' test which reduces the back and forth movement dramatically when compared to older style stock which requires the test.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Here's my images of the Mk5 interiors from Wednesday's trip. Amongst other things, just look at how many sockets there are, both standard and USB, and note the pin coded mini safes in the seated portion - one for each passenger.

Attachments

• Apr 2019 069.JPG
    Apr 2019 069.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 480
  • Apr 2019 070.JPG
    Apr 2019 070.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 459
  • Apr 2019 071.JPG
    Apr 2019 071.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 453
  • Apr 2019 072.JPG
    Apr 2019 072.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 457

mirodo

What is the situation with regards to shower provision for those in Classic rooms? Are the showers at (e.g.) Glasgow included in the cost of the ticket as now or would one have to pay extra? The website doesn't appear to mention anything, just "in-room washbasin".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Here's my images of the Mk5 interiors from Wednesday's trip. Amongst other things, just look at how many sockets there are, both standard and USB, and note the pin coded mini safes in the seated portion - one for each passenger.

The safes are a great idea, but do mean quite a small luggage rack. Is there provision elsewhere? The FW seats carry a lot of people with big rucksacks.

TimboM

Established Member
What is the situation with regards to shower provision for those in Classic rooms? Are the showers at (e.g.) Glasgow included in the cost of the ticket as now or would one have to pay extra? The website doesn't appear to mention anything, just "in-room washbasin".
Classic is equivalent to Standard on the current/old trains, which does not include a shower token.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Classic is equivalent to Standard on the current/old trains, which does not include a shower token.

It's only a fiver anyway. I've used the ones at Glasgow Central when not using the Sleeper (basically to avoid stinking out a 5 hour VTWC journey for the other passengers, as I'd been staying in the CIC hut on Ben Nevis which has no showers as the water supply is a stream outside) - they are really quite nice, not at all like stereotypical station bogs. The FW ones are decent and worth the money too.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

There are three berth grades on the new trains:

Classic: Pretty much how the Mk3 cabins are, but much improved.

Club: Basically a classic with an en-suite toilet and shower.

Suite: The full works with a double bed as well.

The safes are a great idea, but do mean quite a small luggage rack. Is there provision elsewhere? The FW seats carry a lot of people with big rucksacks.

There is, yes.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The prices are bloody expensive!!

£45 seated is less than most of the daytime trains!

Classic berths at £140 ( or £170 if there's two of you travelling together ) - comparable to daytime travel + a hotel for the extra night you'd need at the other end if you were travelling daytime and still wanted to spend as much time exploring; remember you're paying for the accommodation for the night as well as the journey.

Yes, the Club and Suites are priced higher but then they are a much higher standard than the Classic - that's the whole point of them.

dtaylor84

Classic berths at £140 ( or £170 if there's two of you travelling together ) - comparable to daytime travel + a hotel for the extra night you'd need at the other end if you were travelling daytime and still wanted to spend as much time exploring; remember you're paying for the accommodation for the night as well as the journey.

Yes, the Club and Suites are priced higher but then they are a much higher standard than the Classic - that's the whole point of them.
Except a hotel would come with a shower without paying for a "much higher standard".

Clansman

Established Member
What is the actual point (when referencing to space avaiblable) of having 'classic' non en-suite berths, when the space of not having en-suite is pretty much used up anyway when providing two toilets in the vestibules to compensate (assuming they will be provided in each carriage, that is)?

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
These do look very nice. I shall have to find some pressing reason to travel to Scotland in the next year or so...

Journeyman

Established Member
What is the actual point of having 'classic' non en-suite berths, when the space of not having en-suite is pretty much used up anyway when providing two toilets in the vestibules to compensate (assuming they will be provided in each carriage, that is)?

You can still fit in an extra couple of compartments doing it that way. I'd be more than happy to travel in a classic as well, it's a lot cheaper. The only really important thing for me in the past was getting a cabin to myself and not sharing with a stranger, and I was happy to pay the premium for that. It's not an issue on the new trains, as sharing has been abolished.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You can still fit in an extra couple of compartments doing it that way.

That's true, but I think it's actually three additional rooms, not two, and having the different category does give flexibility for the individual's budget.

Leaving the room to go for a wee in the night is less hassle as well for Classic passengers; the doors will be operated with smart individually coded cards like the doors to hotel rooms, so you no longer have to either risk leaving it unlocked while you are out or find the attendant to let you back in again.

Furrball

Where are you to place items that you have plugged in?

In solo rooms there seems to be a small shelf but cannot see anything in this image.

The old covered sink cover and section at the end of the bed provided a good area. Other than sitting with laptop on knee don't see a way of working in new room.

Is there a table/flat surface anywhere in the cabin?

Clansman

Established Member

In solo rooms there seems to be a small shelf but cannot see anything in this image.

The old covered sink cover and section at the end of the bed provided a good area. Other than sitting with laptop on knee don't see a way of working in new room.

Is there a table/flat surface anywhere in the cabin?
The top of the power unit is used as a mini shelf for portable devices, and underneath the sink there is a pull-out foldable table, which is what the white drawer is in photos.

Although the lack of 'bar' across from the sink to the wall, over the end of the bed, is in my opinion a bit of an oversight by the designers. It is a highly useful feature to have onboard.

BRX

Established Member
You can still fit in an extra couple of compartments doing it that way. I'd be more than happy to travel in a classic as well, it's a lot cheaper. The only really important thing for me in the past was getting a cabin to myself and not sharing with a stranger, and I was happy to pay the premium for that. It's not an issue on the new trains, as sharing has been abolished.
It was never an issue, as there was always the option of not sharing.

Established Member
Although the lack of 'bar' across from the sink to the wall, over the end of the bed, is in my opinion a bit of an oversight by the designers. It is a highly useful feature to have onboard.

I agree, but it wasn't an oversight as far as the basin is concerned apparently. Too many new or occasional passengers complained that there was no sink in the room that they took the decision to leave it uncovered. You and I may think that's daft, but it's what happened.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Peter Mugridge said:

Which image are you referring to please?

As you quoted the part of my post that relates to the sit up all night bit, I am answering for that image... each seat has a pull down table in front of it, fitted to the back of the seat in front.

VT 390

Established Member
There are three berth grades on the new trains:

Classic: Pretty much how the Mk3 cabins are, but much improved.

Club: Basically a classic with an en-suite toilet and shower.

Suite: The full works with a double bed as well.

Though one of the other benefits of the club room compared to classic is that it includes first class lounge access, shower access and I think breakfast is included as well

gazthomas

Established Member
Having been on the sleeper many times I'm looking for my next trip to Inverness, already planned for September (I hope the Highland will be using the mark 5's by then of course!)

Essexman

Established Member
I still have 6 tickets left on a Flexipass. These were booked as being first class not standard but am I correct that they will allocate the more basic cabins not en suite ones?
If so is there provision to pay more and upgrade?

alistairlees

Established Member
I still have 6 tickets left on a Flexipass. These were booked as being first class not standard but am I correct that they will allocate the more basic cabins not en suite ones?
If so is there provision to pay more and upgrade?
Do you mean you have booked 4 tickets for a journey on or after 2 June? I’m not sure what you mean to be honest.

ajrm

I think a lot of the people complaining about the cost are blissfully unaware of the cost of a hotel stay in London. Even so-called 'budget' hotels can be very expensive. To give an example, I've paid £185 for a berth from London to Dundee on 21 May—and yes, I'm not all that happy that it's much more than I used to pay for a shared berth. But looking at the Travelodge website for a room that night, it's quoting £199 for a room at Covent Garden, Euston, King's Cross, Southwark, Tower Bridge... then add £55 (standard) or £106 (first) for a single on the 1000 from King's Cross in the morning.

Now I could get the hotel price down to double figures by staying in Finsbury Park or Ilford, but that's less convenient or attractive. And these prices are nearly six weeks away. So in this particular case the sleeper is cheaper (and right now CS are selling a standard solo for £140 on the 21st), and it also saves a whole day compared to overnight in London and spending the whole of the next working day travelling.

If you're travelling for leisure, not fussy about a particular date and planning months ahead then obviously a hotel room can be quite a bit cheaper, but business travellers often don't have that luxury.

JohnMcL7

I think a lot of the people complaining about the cost are blissfully unaware of the cost of a hotel stay in London. Even so-called 'budget' hotels can be very expensive. To give an example, I've paid £185 for a berth from London to Dundee on 21 May—and yes, I'm not all that happy that it's much more than I used to pay for a shared berth. But looking at the Travelodge website for a room that night, it's quoting £199 for a room at Covent Garden, Euston, King's Cross, Southwark, Tower Bridge... then add £55 (standard) or £106 (first) for a single on the 1000 from King's Cross in the morning.

I'm not 'blissfully unaware' at all as I've actually used both options, if I'm travelling by air and taking late night or early morning flights then it's much more convenient and a lot cheaper to stay at hotels near the airports. Last year my return flights from Inverness and five day car hire for an Astra sized car were £140 and then I paid £40 a night at both sides in a Travelodge for a total cost of £220 and that was flying late down (actually after the sleeper left) and flying back up early morning so I didn't lose time compared to the sleeper either.

I find the opposite of what you've said, I can usually get flights and hotels late on for cheap whereas the only way to get cheap train fares is to book months in advance and be flexible about dates. In the case above it was all last minute booking and for the second hotel night I booked it online ten minutes before going there as other plans had fallen through, aside from most of the train prices being crazy (the sleeper was at best 50% more expensive and that's including the car hire on the air fares) I couldn't get my bike on any of the trains either.

I've just checked some dates on the new sleeper and it looks like without the car hire it's going to be around triple the prices of a plane and travelodges which may not be the greatest out there but they're a lot more comfortable than sleeping on a train. I would actually like to use the sleeper but it's hard to swallow paying a massive premium for it when it's worse then alternative. Last time I took the sleeper I had to go the seated approach at a hefty £150 return but I justified it to myself that it would be more convenient than staying in hotels and boy was that an expensive mistake, it was bad enough it was thoroughly unpleasant but knowing I'd paid more for that than a quick and convenient flight took the biscuit. I was really hoping they'd be able to offer a better option for solo travelers between a seat and a cabin as that's partially what makes the cost so high for me but sadly not.

I don't get this 'hotel on wheels' concept when most people are really just using it to sleep, I could understand if the train travelled a significant portion of the day but when it's leaving late at night and arriving first thing in the morning it doesn't make much sense. I would like to use the sleeper but I can't justify paying hundreds more for it when it's quicker and cheaper to use flights and a hotel where I'll also sleep a lot better. I do want to try the new sleeper but I think when it comes down to it I'm not going to waste a few hundred quid on it.