• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

_toommm_

Established Member
Although I do enjoy a winter trip to Fort William, watching the day get light as we trundle over Rannoch Moor, with breakfast in the lounge car. Preferably with at least a sprinkling of snow on the ground. I hope to do this once again early next year but not if the service isn't reasonably reliable.

It’s just a shame there’s no droplights anymore. On my first (and only) journey up to Fort William I chose to stand by the open window all the way from Helensburgh to Fort William because the views were that amazing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill57p9

Trip report: I was on the Glasgow to Euston last night in a classic. Delay of 30 minutes at Carstairs for some reason but still arrived Euston early. No hot water, I couldn't get the door to lock from the outside (and have been able to in the past), the silly under sink tray ran out every time we went round a right hand bend, the WC door lock was broken and the WC hand dryer didn't work.

I was (deliberately) near the middle and felt the ride was similar in quality to the mk3s.

In summary, it did what I needed it to and certainly beat flying on the red eye for my meeting today but didn't meet the marketing expectations.

To find so many things not quite working was disappointing given the premium marketing and youth of the stock. The mk3s were seriously tired by the end but they were built to last: I fear what state the mk5s will be in at the age of 35.

_toommm_

Established Member
The view is the same but without drop lights you don’t get the wind in your hair - or midges in your throat!!

There was something very satisfying for me about standing next to an open droplight - it made you feel closer to the outside world. And it meant you could get excellent photos of the scenery.

(Of course it goes without saying that the advantages of power doors massively outweigh my wibble about unimpeded views).

Essexman

Established Member
I loved breathing the early morning Highland air. And taking photos. Drop light windows are definitely missed on the new trains.

diffident

Trip report: I was on the Glasgow to Euston last night in a classic. Delay of 30 minutes at Carstairs for some reason but still arrived Euston early. No hot water, I couldn't get the door to lock from the outside (and have been able to in the past), the silly under sink tray ran out every time we went round a right hand bend, the WC door lock was broken and the WC hand dryer didn't work.

I was (deliberately) near the middle and felt the ride was similar in quality to the mk3s.

In summary, it did what I needed it to and certainly beat flying on the red eye for my meeting today but didn't meet the marketing expectations.

To find so many things not quite working was disappointing given the premium marketing and youth of the stock. The mk3s were seriously tired by the end but they were built to last: I fear what state the mk5s will be in at the age of 35.

I'm guessing you've complained and are at least getting some money back?

trainbow

Have travelled on CS 5 times so far this year, in Double once, club once and classic 3 times, with one more journey to take on Friday in Classic. I like the Mk5s. I think CS have specified a really nice product, I'm always very comfortable in the bed, and especially if I'm in the middle of the carriage, get as good a night's sleep as I could ever get on a moving train going over some nasty rails once leaving the WCML.

The comment about how they'll look in 35 years, I will certainly echo. Internal maintenance doesn't seem to be great. Toilet panels missing, soap dispensers usually broken, loo roll holder broken, in room sink plugs broken. Doesn't bode massively well.

My main issue will mirror what other people have said, and it's Serco not providing the customer service level appropriate for the product level that they're offering. This usually only comes to light when something goes wrong.

Travelling EUS-FTW on Tuesday night, FTW was suspended, so had to go to Kingussie and change to bus, due to staff shortages. This is obviously a negative customer experience, compounded by me being moved from a middle one to the end compartment next to the toilets and over the wheels. The staff were certainly pleasant, but CS offered nothing to 'make it right' or by way of apology other than just offering empty words. Could have at least thrown in a bacon sandwich or a drink voucher or something that wouldn't have cost them more than about a quid, but the gesture means much more than that to the customer.

Reminds me of travelling in January when the upper bed was moist, only realised after having got undressed and into bed, so had to move to the next one, and the host stood there waiting for us to get dressed and move ourselves and baggage so she could lock the first one before unlocking the other, instead of just opening the connecting door for 10 mins while we moved. Or when I didn't get a text saying catering wasn't being offered due to short staffing, and when asked in the club car about it, host look like we just asked to sh*t on his mother (though this was in Mk3 days).

It's still the best way to travel across the country, and the base product is great, and I was hoping that Kathryn Darabandi would improve the customer service to true hospitality levels, but alas that doesn't appear to have happened. On a side note, for me staff generally seem to have improved since a few years ago.

P.S. No more branded CS towels appear to be being produced, they're less and less common!

route101

Established Member
Got my first experience of the MK 5 cabin next Tuesday, if lounge car is not busy I will try it out. Anywhere around Euston decent for a drink?

43 302

Established Member
Got my first experience of the MK 5 cabin next Tuesday, if lounge car is not busy I will try it out. Anywhere around Euston decent for a drink?
Euston Tap, Flying Standard or the Parcel Yard in Kings Cross station are my usual choices.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The Signal Box inside Euston is a sister pub to the Parcel Yard (Fullers) and literally next door to the Sleeper Lounge (assuming that’s open).

Alternatively the Exmouth Arms is about a 2 minute walk west and has excellent beer.

alex17595

Im planning on trying out the sleeper early next year, as I fancy a trip before my railcard runs out. I can't however, work out whether this fare is actually refundable or not. The refund policy says only flexible tickets are fully refundable and I don't want to commit to a non refundable fare because of covid.

1639689123740.png

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Such a shame The Bree Louise was a HS2 casualty

I disagree. A great pub if you like warm flat real ale, and standing around talking to other people with the same interest. But not a great ambience. Other pubs in that area were (are) better.

williamn

Had another trouble-free trip back from Glasgow on Sunday, with arrival at EUS 30 mins early.

I'd shelled out a lot for one of the last available cabins, a 'Club' as opposed to the usual Classic. Must say the breakfast options for £200+ feel meagre, a bacon roll or fairly grim vegan yoghurt pot (feel that maybe they should tell you that its vegan in advance?). Thats it. As per my last three trips the Club Car was closed and no refreshments other than breakfast were available on board.

This all said the room was as comfortable and cosy as ever, and the ride at the end of the carriage decent. Contrary to the above poster, the pull-out tray from under the sink is one of my favourite design features!

Staff were great and after a year of using it at least monthly I even got recognised by them, which is nice!

Starmill

Veteran Member
This all said the room was as comfortable and cosy as ever, and the ride at the end of the carriage decent. Contrary to the above poster, the pull-out tray from under the sink is one of my favourite design features!
It sounds like it wasn't a design feature they were unhappy with though. It sounds like theirs was broken.

route101

Established Member
The Signal Box inside Euston is a sister pub to the Parcel Yard (Fullers) and literally next door to the Sleeper Lounge (assuming that’s open).

Alternatively the Exmouth Arms is about a 2 minute walk west and has excellent beer.
Yes, no lounge for me as travelling classic room. I recall having a pint at the signal box few years back.

6Z09

There is always a delay at Carstairs to attach the Edinburgh portion to the rear , at least twenty minutes.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I don't think the new stock was never intended to last 35 years. I suspect they bought it so that it could maybe do 10 or 15 years and they can then judge the viability of the service from their. If they decide to bin it all together then either Great Western can get hold of the stock and refurbish it to a good standard or it can simply be cut up and scrapped and I doubt many people will shed tears over it

Bill57p9

Complaint submitted and will see what the response is.
There is always a delay at Carstairs to attach the Edinburgh portion to the rear , at least twenty minutes.
Indeed, however we were stationary there for 40 minutes, mostly with the power off. Having arrived on time we departed 17 late but this was easily recovered.
I don't think the new stock was never intended to last 35 years. I suspect they bought it so that it could maybe do 10 or 15 years and they can then judge the viability of the service from their. If they decide to bin it all together then either Great Western can get hold of the stock and refurbish it to a good standard or it can simply be cut up and scrapped and I doubt many people will shed tears over it
Fair point. As has been raised on this thread before HS2 will further challenge the viability of CS especially the Lowlander. I saw the check in sheet and only roughly half of the berths were occupied and obviously some of these would be single occupancy, so relatively few passengers. Sorry, guests.

Out of interest does anyone know what the mk5 design life is? From an engineering perspective there must be one.

Complaint submitted and will see what the response is.
Indeed, however we were stationary there for 40 minutes, mostly with the power off. Having arrived on time we departed 17 late but this was easily recovered.
Fair point. As has been raised on this thread before HS2 will further challenge the viability of CS especially the Lowlander. I saw the check in sheet and only roughly half of the berths were occupied and obviously some of these would be single occupancy, so relatively few passengers. Sorry, guests.

Out of interest does anyone know what the mk5 design life is? From an engineering perspective there must be one.

Fishplate84

My main issue will mirror what other people have said, and it's Serco not providing the customer service level appropriate for the product level that they're offering. This usually only comes to light when something goes wrong.

It's still the best way to travel across the country, and the base product is great, and I was hoping that Kathryn Darabandi would improve the customer service to true hospitality levels, but alas that doesn't appear to have happened. On a side note, for me staff generally seem to have improved since a few years ago.
Is it Serco not providing the customer service or the Staff not wanting to deliver it? Reading through this thread there does appear to be a strong whiff of Serco wanting to deliver a different type of service and marketing it as such but at every turn the RMT or whatever union and I assume quite a few of the more militant staff having none of it, not wanting to move away from traditional railway and pushing back on every request that Serco wants to put in place. I accept it has to be a bit of both, but I don't for a minute think it's entirely Serco's lack of desire to offer a better customer service level. Customer service, by its very definition, has a huge bearing on the attitude and willingness of front line staff to want to deliver it. The other party of course is Transport Scotland, now they have much more exposure to the subsidy to deliver the service it's quite possible they are refusing to consider spending any more to fund any additional resources necessary to fix any issues. Sadly, a 'treasury-run' railway seems to be the future all across the UK, the Sleeper being no less exposed to it than any other operator.

6Z09

Is it Serco not providing the customer service or the Staff not wanting to deliver it? Reading through this thread there does appear to be a strong whiff of Serco wanting to deliver a different type of service and marketing it as such but at every turn the RMT or whatever union and I assume quite a few of the more militant staff having none of it, not wanting to move away from traditional railway and pushing back on every request that Serco wants to put in place. I accept it has to be a bit of both, but I don't for a minute think it's entirely Serco's lack of desire to offer a better customer service level. Customer service, by its very definition, has a huge bearing on the attitude and willingness of front line staff to want to deliver it. The other party of course is Transport Scotland, now they have much more exposure to the subsidy to deliver the service it's quite possible they are refusing to consider spending any more to fund any additional resources necessary to fix any issues. Sadly, a 'treasury-run' railway seems to be the future all across the UK, the Sleeper being no less exposed to it than any other operator.
Your assumptions on the action of the RMT are completely wrong.
Trade Unions try protect the terms and conditions of it's members.
On your point about what Serco are doing, the Current Caledonian Sleeper management are well aware of the folly of past marketing, promising the undeliverable.
If you pay attention to current Social Media you will see much more emphasis put on the destination options rather than nonsense about magical journeys!

Stathern Jc

I don't pay attention to social media. But I agree with what has often been said before, i.e. that the sleeper needs to attract it's custom by providing a consistently reliable service of a suitable level to justify the price.
If it doesn't, other than those with little other choice (such as a day's walking from Corrour), more will turn to Easyjet and Lumo etc and have plenty of spending money left over, or even find it cheaper to hire a car instead.
Also many of those looking for the experience of the journey would get better value from a daytime first class ticket.
It does sadden me to think that the sleeper could be on it's last legs. If it is the only terms and conditions the unions will left to protect would be those relating to redundancy payments, and I don't want to see that situation arise.

Iskra

Established Member
Your assumptions on the action of the RMT are completely wrong.
Trade Unions try protect the terms and conditions of it's members.
On your point about what Serco are doing, the Current Caledonian Sleeper management are well aware of the folly of past marketing, promising the undeliverable.
If you pay attention to current Social Media you will see much more emphasis put on the destination options rather than nonsense about magical journeys!
That's all well and good, but as soon as you visit the website (where I'm sure the vast majority of bookings are made), you are instantly invited to 'begin your magical journey.' Cognitive dissonance aplenty from CS. Some consistency is needed.

nlogax

Established Member
That's all well and good, but as soon as you visit the website (where I'm sure the vast majority of bookings are made), you are instantly invited to 'begin your magical journey.' Cognitive dissonance aplenty from CS. Some consistency is needed.

Indeed. The website is a triumph of wine-fuelled marketing agency lunches over what is the reality for CS passengers. My magical journey usually begins the night after reaching my destination when I can actually get some sleep.

Butts

Veteran Member
Indeed. The website is a triumph of wine-fuelled marketing agency lunches over what is the reality for CS passengers. My magical journey usually begins the night after reaching my destination when I can actually get some sleep.

Why don't you fly instead then ?

Perhaps it's time for Portillo to complete one of the missing links from His Great British Railway Journeys Portfolio - or has he already ?

6Z09

Had a look, yes the Website is still promoting Magic.
I had noticed that Facebook posts of the last couple of weeks were much more destination based ,I stand corrected , hopefully reality will spread throughout all marketing in due course.