• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Marketing should at least have some sort of vague link to the product it supports.
It does. They have had to aim for high spenders to make the economics even vaguely credible, so the marketing has to appeal to them.
"Its an OK way to get to Edinburgh really early" isnt going to work.
They need to fix the problems, not the marketing. Whatever you market it as the customers arent going to pay that much and then tolerate all the bits falling apart on the train and the lack of food etc.

nlogax

Established Member
It does. They have had to aim for high spenders to make the economics even vaguely credible, so the marketing has to appeal to them.
"Its an OK way to get to Edinburgh really early" isnt going to work.
They need to fix the problems, not the marketing. Whatever you market it as the customers arent going to pay that much and then tolerate all the bits falling apart on the train and the lack of food etc.
By all means the product needs fixing but even if that happens I'd argue that the product will still bear no resemblance to some of the marketing. It's closer to a Premier Inn on bogies, not a Waldorf Astoria. No amount of high spending clientele will fix that.

Meerkat

Established Member
By all means the product needs fixing but even if that happens I'd argue that the product will still bear no resemblance to some of the marketing. It's closer to a Premier Inn on bogies, not a Waldorf Astoria. No amount of high spending clientele will fix that.
If the high spending clientele keep turning up it doesn't need fixing.
We are in an event culture now. Tick it off, stick the photos on Instagram - its almost more important than whether you actually enjoy it!

najaB

Veteran Member
If the high spending clientele keep turning up it doesn't need fixing.
I'd argue that it does need fixing, but only to the point that what is provided is better than the average train service, not necessarily to the point that it's better than the average hotel. As long as it's "good enough" to be something different then they'll be able to keep the event-driven clientele happy. The people who "do" the Sleeper, rather than the people who use it as a regular means of transport.

Butts

Veteran Member
I dont understand this bizarre and unprecedented concept that marketing should be based on reality.

Very perceptive, just look at those soap powder adds on TV and a multitude of other products.

At least with the CS you won't get from London to Edinburgh like I did last night and find your baggage (or anyone else's) hasn't accompanied you on the journey :E

trainbow

Is it Serco not providing the customer service or the Staff not wanting to deliver it? Reading through this thread there does appear to be a strong whiff of Serco wanting to deliver a different type of service and marketing it as such but at every turn the RMT or whatever union and I assume quite a few of the more militant staff having none of it, not wanting to move away from traditional railway and pushing back on every request that Serco wants to put in place. I accept it has to be a bit of both, but I don't for a minute think it's entirely Serco's lack of desire to offer a better customer service level. Customer service, by its very definition, has a huge bearing on the attitude and willingness of front line staff to want to deliver it. The other party of course is Transport Scotland, now they have much more exposure to the subsidy to deliver the service it's quite possible they are refusing to consider spending any more to fund any additional resources necessary to fix any issues. Sadly, a 'treasury-run' railway seems to be the future all across the UK, the Sleeper being no less exposed to it than any other operator.

To be honest, in my experience it's a bit of both. On the journey I mentioned, it was Serco who could have provided some kind of customer service recovery from not being able to offer the service that I had paid for, but chose to just say 'sorry' and do nothing except just get me to the destination by bus. That would not have cut it in my past hospitality jobs.

On a happier note, I got moved from room 10 to room 7 on my journey back down, and slept like an absolute dream, arriving in London actually feeling refreshed. It can happen! :D (So much so that I was still awake in the pub at midnight that day...)

route101

Established Member
To be honest, in my experience it's a bit of both. On the journey I mentioned, it was Serco who could have provided some kind of customer service recovery from not being able to offer the service that I had paid for, but chose to just say 'sorry' and do nothing except just get me to the destination by bus. That would not have cut it in my past hospitality jobs.

On a happier note, I got moved from room 10 to room 7 on my journey back down, and slept like an absolute dream, arriving in London actually feeling refreshed. It can happen! :D (So much so that I was still awake in the pub at midnight that day...)
I was room 6 but moved to room 10. Any reason why they do this? Is it because I'm on a cheaper ticket ?

route101

Established Member
………and above the bogies!
Yes, was quite noticeable at times. I did wonder if we were on jointed track at times. I did get some sleep!

Door sounder wasn't as loud as feared, but did notice the sound of water sloshing about. The lounge car was out of action I think, confusing wording in text. Was room service only by the text.

trebor79

Established Member
Yes, was quite noticeable at times. I did wonder if we were on jointed track at times. I did get some sleep!

Door sounder wasn't as loud as feared, but did notice the sound of water sloshing about. The lounge car was out of action I think, confusing wording in text. Was room service only by the text.
Ear plugs are the answer to most of these issues! :D

route101

Established Member
Ear plugs are the answer to most of these issues! :D
Forgot all about them. I haven't been able to sleep with them in before. Compared to previous sleeper journeys I didn't notice much movement while in the bed.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Very perceptive, just look at those soap powder adds on TV and a multitude of other products.

At least with the CS you won't get from London to Edinburgh like I did last night and find your baggage (or anyone else's) hasn't accompanied you on the journey :E
Nothing is impossible - we did coast-to-coast by train in Canada several years ago and our luggage was left on the platform at Halifax. It was flown to us in Montreal!

Beebman

Noel Philips who mainly makes airline videos with the occasional railway one has posted a review of a trip on the CS to Fort William:

From this thread I seem to get the impression that the Caledonian Sleeper is permanently dysfunctional. Is this the case?
No, not permanently dysfunctional. There are quite a few posts on this thread outlining why readers can form such an incorrect impression.
Amongst the bad reviews you should also have found examples of trips completed according to schedule and reviews from satisfied guests.

backontrack

Established Member
No, not permanently dysfunctional. There are quite a few posts on this thread outlining why readers can form such an incorrect impression.
Amongst the bad reviews you should also have found examples of trips completed according to schedule and reviews from satisfied guests.
That's good to hear! Thank you.

Berliner

From this thread I seem to get the impression that the Caledonian Sleeper is permanently dysfunctional. Is this the case?
Many posts in This thread are heavily against the sleeper, but look elsewhere and you'll find much more balanced and actually many positive reviews. YouTube is a good place to find multiple trip reports.

zero

I noticed that this Sunday/Monday they are diverting via the North London line between the ECML and Wembley Yard.

Has this happened before? I don't think it will happen again in the current timetable up to 8 May, but any idea if it might later in the year?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I noticed that this Sunday/Monday they are diverting via the North London line between the ECML and Wembley Yard.

Has this happened before? I don't think it will happen again in the current timetable up to 8 May, but any idea if it might later in the year?
It usually happens on Sunday Night / Monday Morning around June but also at other times when the WCML is closed at a point where a more localised diversion isn't feasible.

There are various ECML works for the January to March period so sleeper diversions aren't likely in the short term.

Looking at RTT, the sleepers appear to be going via the ECML on the weekend of 2/3 April and the following five weeks. This, for Newcastle, on the morning of 4 April.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...4/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=CS

Last edited:

It usually happens on Sunday Night / Monday Morning around June but also at other times when the WCML is closed at a point where a more localised diversion isn't feasible.

There are various ECML works for the January to March period so sleeper diversions aren't likely in the short term.

Looking at RTT, the sleepers appear to be going via the ECML on the weekend of 2/3 April and the following five weeks. This, for Newcastle, on the morning of 4 April.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...4/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=CS
Is there anything due to be diverted via Manchester/Bolton at anytime