• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard P

My fingers are crossed for Friday night as me and the wife are booked on the FTW-EUS. Hopefully the network will have recovered from Eunice by then.
The further north you are on Friday the better the weather BUT I would be checking all possible social media channels for updates. I believe CS generally do contact customers direct if there are cancellations providing they have their details. I hope you get to make your journey but if I am honest I am not that optimistic looking at the forecast. Fingers crossed!

williamn

Southbound lowlander ran without incident last night, we were even early! Kudos to CS for running the service when so much else is disrupted.

I don't know about further north, but in the SE it was incredibly still last night - almost silent - the lull before the storm I guess.
West Coast trains from the North currently going as far as Preston.

Worst of the weather expected around lunchtime.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Only a detailed passenger questionnaire would reveal the true reasons for choosing to travel in this way. But I can't imagine fear of otherwise catching Covid through mingling is, or ever was, a strong demand driver. For one thing nearly all passengers (or guests) need to somehow travel to and from the stations, plus fill in the time between going and coming back. The dwindling number of worriers are more likely to just stay at home.
It was certainly a factor in our choice of the Sleeper last summer - and fully justified as it turned out because we got "pinged" and had to isolate in a Scottish hotel for four days after the strike changed our travel plans and we had to fly instead.

A short trip on a local train followed by a hop across London on the Tube (both well ventilated with doors opening every few minutes) doesn't really compare to being milling around an airport for a couple of hours and then confined to a plane (eight hours in a train would have been even worse of course)

Garmoran

Don't hold your breath for that one. Eunice is meant to last till Saturday.
Sadly you were correct. After sending a series of encouraging messages during the day CS decided to cancel the service at 6pm by which time we had already left home to catch the train to FTW from Mallaig.
Also too late to cancel tomorrow night's hotel without paying for it.
I wonder if the real problem was the balancing working north. I imagine it would have been slow going for the northbound working.
Sadly so ends my first chance to use the new sleeper service (and introduce my wife to her first ever overnight train journey )

Sadly you were correct. After sending a series of encouraging messages during the day CS decided to cancel the service at 6pm by which time we had already left home to catch the train to FTW from Mallaig.
Also too late to cancel tomorrow night's hotel without paying for it.
I wonder if the real problem was the balancing working north. I imagine it would have been slow going for the northbound working.
Sadly so ends my first chance to use the new sleeper service (and introduce my wife to her first ever overnight train journey )
The problem tonight is the West Coast Route is closed at Beattock due to storm damage and serious overhead wire damage. Not expected to be open till sometime on Saturday. There are other problems further South too. Avanti have cancelled all their services earlier in the Day to allow work to be completed for Saturday. Most of the Day trains from the North were turning at Preston. With others from Preston via Birmingham to Rugby. With a very few every 2 hours.

driverd

I recently made a booking for a future journey from London to Fort William and found the process quite confusing. The nice man on the phone was quite happy to take a PRIV booking for me, but matters were complicated by travelling with Her Ladyship who, due to circumstances, is not entitled to PRIV-rate travel...

Entirely sympathise with this! I travelled with a friend last year who had a railcard, however, it transpires that you can't mix and match discounts. Our options were 2 berths (1 priv, 1 railcard), or one full price berth.

I entirely agree that the system seems rather broken; there should be some facility to accommodate more flexible bookings in my opinion - ie: a £220 shared berth becomes a £110 x2 berth, which then becomes a £27.50 bed and a £73.30 bed - ie: £100.80, so both discounts are considered.

I presume the booking system, however, can't cope with this!

The problem tonight is the West Coast Route is closed at Beattock due to storm damage and serious overhead wire damage. Not expected to be open till sometime on Saturday. There are other problems further South too. Avanti have cancelled all their services earlier in the Day to allow work to be completed for Saturday. Most of the Day trains from the North were turning at Preston. With others from Preston via Birmingham to Rugby. With a very few every 2 hours.
Looking like the first train from Glasgow South today will be 0940.

So obviously the clean up after yesterday's storm is more major than expected.

williamn

Email from Caledonian Sleeper promising 'something exciting' happening on 7 March. Probably just a new ad campaign or something but we'll see...

Garmoran

I'll be on the CS from Euston tomorrow evening, to Rannoch. Staying at Rannoch for walking in the snow and landscape/other photography.
Be prepared for changes to this. Although I had already cancelled my return journey from Euston which was to have taken place last night I received an email today apologising for the disruption to my journey due to a landslip at Bridge of Orchy. Apparently passengers for FTW were taken to Dundee and then travelled onwards by bus.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It might be a bit more than that.

Your post has me intrigued! I am certainly going to be keeping an eye on developments, I hope it's not something as simple as a livery change now!

Possible, after all, that it's something that'll get me wanting to book with CS again soon. I still haven't had one of those 73s yet, which would be nice to do.

Richard P

I'll be on the CS from Euston tomorrow evening, to Rannoch. Staying at Rannoch for walking in the snow and landscape/other photography.
Hope you get there okay - failed to run beyond Edinburgh last night due to flooding but seem to be running through Bridge Of Orchy fine today

paul1609

Established Member
Email from Caledonian Sleeper promising 'something exciting' happening on 7 March. Probably just a new ad campaign or something but we'll see...
Moving to London Kings X better connection to Eurostar, limited through tickets. New Lounge, York and Newcastle served crewe, Preston Carlisle dropped. Through seats and more coaches to Fort William limited service to Aberdeen attaching/ detaching at Perth. Inverness Portion diverted via kirkcaldy. Glasgow portion of lowlander moves to Queen Street calling additionally at Falkirk.
All speculation!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Moving to London Kings X better connection to Eurostar, limited through tickets. New Lounge, York and Newcastle served crewe, Preston Carlisle dropped. Through seats and more coaches to Fort William limited service to Aberdeen attaching/ detaching at Perth. Inverness Portion diverted via kirkcaldy. Glasgow portion of lowlander moves to Queen Street calling additionally at Falkirk.
All speculation!

it won’t be Kings X.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
All speculation!
That couldn't be described as exciting.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I can't see it being timetable related. There is nothing exciting about the timetable (and unlike e.g. Avanti West Coast or LNER, speeding it up wouldn't be exciting). More likely service related.
Indeed, the sleeper is on sale for journeys a year in advance so I don't see how the timetable can substantially be changed.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm sort of deriving from that that it isn't Euston either, possibly related to the loss of P16 for HS2? Intriguing. What London terminus can get you onto the WCML and has platforms long enough?
Waterloo (but that is nonsense and the platforms aren't long enough any more).