• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Yes - numbers would be very low but at least it’s an option.
Apologies, it followed on from a suggestion the Highlander could give an earlier arrival in Glasgow and a later departure than the Lowlander so I put two and two together and got at least five, sorry if I crossed wires for everyone.
But it would still be the case anyone hoping to join would be dependent on the seating coach not being fully booked to Edinburgh or Motherwell/Glasgow.

At least with the Highlander Kingussie northwards local seating option the chances are even if full from the south a few will have got before it reaches Kingussie, whilst the FW seats potentially has some capacity as when pass transfer across at Edinburgh they are presumably only some of those who have been travelling in the Aberdeen seats.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As the actual usage will likely be very small, I would expect, I don't see why it couldn't be offered on a reservation only basis?
If the seat can be sold for £75 from Euston, why would Caledonian Sleeper be chasing less than £10 for people from Carstairs? Even with reservations, there is a danger that passengers from Carstairs (or Carlisle) would take a seat that might be sold at short notice from Euston. Hardly anyone gets off the Lowland sleeper at Carstairs or Carlisle to free up seats.

zero

Following on from recent posts - I tried booking on the morning d train from Glasgow

if I have a ticket from Glasgow to Mallaig
Ref the above post, it has already been mentioned on this Forum that day passengers could once again (from May 2022) travel on the Fort William and Inverness portions of the Highland Sleeper, subject to a reservation being obtained. The Q&A section of the Caledonian Sleeper website contains a statement which appears to confirm this.

“We have good news, we are running all normal daytime services and we can’t wait to have you back on board.
Day service tickets are only available to buy a maximum of 7 days before travel and require a reservation. Anyone who does not hold a reservation may not be permitted to travel.
Caledonian Sleeper does not sell tickets for these day services. However, they are available to book directly via train (sic) stations or other on-line ticket retailers.”...
I made enquiries via social media this week on behalf of my my relatives who wish to use the evening fort William to Glasgow Queen Street journey offered by CS during the English half term holiday at the start of June and was told that as long as they held a valid ticket and obtained a reservation by contacting guest services centre or or visiting an appropriate booking office so any of those in the West Highlands I assume or perhaps Glasgow that they would be permitted to travel and use any on-board services that would normally be available to seated passengers

Is it possible to reserve a seat from Glasgow to Fort William when holding a Glasgow to Mallaig ticket?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is it possible to reserve a seat from Glasgow to Fort William when holding a Glasgow to Mallaig ticket?
It should be possible to arrange a reservation through telesales or a ticket office.

The problem with trying to book a ticket online for Glasgow to Mallaig with a reservation for the sleeper seats between Glasgow and Fort William is that the next train to Mallaig also comes from Glasgow so can only be done manually or with a booking engine that allows an elongated stop to be specified.

zero

It should be possible to arrange a reservation through telesales or a ticket office.

The problem with trying to book a ticket online for Glasgow to Mallaig with a reservation for the sleeper seats between Glasgow and Fort William is that the next train to Mallaig also comes from Glasgow so can only be done manually or with a booking engine that allows an elongated stop to be specified.
I tried trainsplit but can only get it to book on 2 Scotrails

BRX

Established Member
Sometimes journey planners will try and put you onto the lowlander & scotrail from glasgow if you ask for london to mallaig. I'm sure that on some occasions it doesn't show the Highlander option at all.

I do realise there may not be a definitive answer to this but?
Is there anyone who could give any indication as to how long the sheds will keep topping the 73s on the Aberdeen portion, ive done 66s to Inverness and Ft william still need the track for a 66, anybody with a bit of inside info, looking at early August

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I do realise there may not be a definitive answer to this but?
Is there anyone who could give any indication as to how long the sheds will keep topping the 73s on the Aberdeen portion, ive done 66s to Inverness and Ft william still need the track for a 66, anybody with a bit of inside info, looking at early August
The best bet for clearing Aberdeen with a 66 is when the Inverness is diverted that way. The Aberdeen portion is very rarely allocated a 66 atop the 73.

At some point 67023 and 67027 are meant to replace 66 use in any case.

Mordac

Established Member
The best bet for clearing Aberdeen with a 66 is when the Inverness is diverted that way. The Aberdeen portion is very rarely allocated a 66 atop the 73.

Would the 67s be able to couple to the stock directly and obviate the need for the 73 to act as a glorified generator/translator van?

Yes thanks for that, im pretty sure theres nothing on the immediate horizon, i did try and do it last Nov but storm something knackered up Dundee to Aberdeen so it was bus Inverness to Perth for train forward

Steddenm

It sounds like with the 67s coming on board and the 66s running at the moment that the 73s are going to be barrier converter locos and power generators. A modern-day ETHEL?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It sounds like with the 67s coming on board and the 66s running at the moment that the 73s are going to be barrier converter locos and power generators. A modern-day ETHEL?
...or the 67s will get the appropriate couplers to work alone.

Caleb2010

It’s not just the couplers between the 67 and mk5 sleepers though is it!

Can a 67 provide the same power to the carriages as a 73/9 or would there need to be some sort of an upgrade! ?

It’s not just the couplers between the 67 and mk5 sleepers though is it!

Can a 67 provide the same power to the carriages as a 73/9 or would there need to be some sort of an upgrade! ?
We should probably get used to referring class 73/'s as Ethel's tbh

Essexman

Established Member
I’m on the sleeper for the first time this year. Last time I travelled someone on the forum kindly told me how to take down the ladder to the top bunk. Now there’s a sign asking passengers not to remove it.

47296lastduff

Pull it slightly upward and firmly toward you (out of the clips near the floor), then stow it securely near the window. Just do the reverse in the morning before vacating your cabin. I think the sign is possibly a safety concern in case the loose ladder falls on you, but if you leave the ladder fixed it is very difficult to get in and out of bed.

Gonzoiku

I’m on the sleeper for the first time this year. Last time I travelled someone on the forum kindly told me how to take down the ladder to the top bunk. Now there’s a sign asking passengers not to remove it.

Perhaps that is to indicate that you /can/ remove the bag of toiletries etc, but not the ladder, on arrival?

GZ

Flying Snail

Established Member
Pull it slightly upward and firmly toward you (out of the clips near the floor), then stow it securely near the window. Just do the reverse in the morning before vacating your cabin. I think the sign is possibly a safety concern in case the loose ladder falls on you, but if you leave the ladder fixed it is very difficult to get in and out of bed.

It just highlights what a great design element the fold-out fixed ladder on the refurbed Mk3s is, so much better than a clumsy free standing ladder in a tiny space.

HST43257

Established Member
I’m guessing this has been asked about and answered many times, but

On sleeper services in Britain (Caledonian and Night Riviera), if you are travelling in seated accomodation and alighting at an intermediate point, what is the best way to wake up? Is there someone who walks through the train at the appropriate times or is there no option but to set an alarm and annoy the entire carriage?