• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

JamieL

won't HS2 make the CS all but pointless
Considering that HS2 might only offer a 30 minute time dividend over the current arrangements (and that is being optimistic) - and that the Lowlander is normally fairly full - I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever to the demand for the CS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

won't HS2 make the CS all but pointless

Considering that HS2 might only offer a 30 minute time dividend over the current arrangements (and that is being optimistic) - and that the Lowlander is normally fairly full - I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever to the demand for the CS.
Yes, you could say the existing day service and CS make HS2 beyond Birmingham all but pointless. In fact maybe someone has already said that....

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes, you could say the existing day service and CS make HS2 beyond Birmingham all but pointless. In fact maybe someone has already said that....
Hardly pointless. Extra capacity into Manchester will be very welcome and CS doesn't help with that.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we keep discussion in this thread to The Caledonian Sleeper please.

HS2 (delay) discussion can be found here:

The lowlander is booked to use the rare route of Langloan Junction - Coatbridge Junction, in both directions, pretty much every day until around 19 May, I believe because of the Carstairs remodelling.

Unfortunately I am not able to travel on it during this period, however I noticed it also appears to be routed this way, from Glasgow to London only, on Sundays from 21 May to 18 June.

What is the reason for this and will it definitely use this route, as I want to book it on one of these nights.
I live a stones throw away from the track between Hamilton West and Blantyre and clocked the sleeper strolling through a few nights ago, at a much earlier time mind you !

Tezza1978

Just a small update ...after my interim whisky related onboard update on Wednesday night! Was impressed with the CS in general. Train arrived 15 mins early at Euston Thursday morning via the amended ECML route. Great service and whisky in the lounge car, retired to cabin about 0015 when the Dundee to Euston/Highlander was at Edinburgh. Swiftly fell asleep despite planning to read for half an hour then woke up at 2.45am near Alnwick due to a bit of lively carriage bouncing. After then properly getting ready for bed, slept pretty well, from 3am till 6.45am with only a few micro wake ups due to some lurching around corners at speed. Very comfy bunks and bedding and Im nearly 6 foot tall.

Had breakfast in cabin at 6.55am as had planned to go in the lounge at 7am, but host gently advised that it was packed with Fort William passengers/club passengers and no seats. Got ready and packed up then had another snooze until 8.30am. Friendly chat and goodbye from the host at 9am and then went to the Avanti lounge at Euston for a shower - nice, powerful, hot - all good. Was refreshed and fine for my 11am London meeting.

Would I use again? Most definitely. We have a client in that part of Scotland so if by chance I have meetings in London the following day in the diary will use again later this month/ or in the future - rather than go on to Warrington first late afternoon, then to London the next morning - the sleeper is a better option and more cost effective.

Facing Back

Just a small update ...after my interim whisky related onboard update on Wednesday night! Was impressed with the CS in general. Train arrived 15 mins early at Euston Thursday morning via the amended ECML route. Great service and whisky in the lounge car, retired to cabin about 0015 when the Dundee to Euston/Highlander was at Edinburgh. Swiftly fell asleep despite planning to read for half an hour then woke up at 2.45am near Alnwick due to a bit of lively carriage bouncing. After then properly getting ready for bed, slept pretty well, from 3am till 6.45am with only a few micro wake ups due to some lurching around corners at speed. Very comfy bunks and bedding and Im nearly 6 foot tall.

Had breakfast in cabin at 6.55am as had planned to go in the lounge at 7am, but host gently advised that it was packed with Fort William passengers/club passengers and no seats. Got ready and packed up then had another snooze until 8.30am. Friendly chat and goodbye from the host at 9am and then went to the Avanti lounge at Euston for a shower - nice, powerful, hot - all good. Was refreshed and fine for my 11am London meeting.

Would I use again? Most definitely. We have a client in that part of Scotland so if by chance I have meetings in London the following day in the diary will use again later this month/ or in the future - rather than go on to Warrington first late afternoon, then to London the next morning - the sleeper is a better option and more cost effective.
That sounds great - thanks for the commentary

I've been meaning to try the new one since is came into service and for one reason or another the timing has never worked out - I will make more of an effort.

The non-stop Warrington to Euston service is good for Warrington isn't bursting at the seams with decent hotels. The local hotel across the road from Bank Quay looks incredibly convenient but a but grungy - out of interest where do you stay if you stop over there?

Tezza1978

That sounds great - thanks for the commentary

I've been meaning to try the new one since is came into service and for one reason or another the timing has never worked out - I will make more of an effort.

The non-stop Warrington to Euston service is good for Warrington isn't bursting at the seams with decent hotels. The local hotel across the road from Bank Quay looks incredibly convenient but a but grungy - out of interest where do you stay if you stop over there?
So I live in Warrington mate. Am an Essex boy by birth, went to Uni in Manc in 1997... essentially then never left the area. Met a Scouse lady in 2010, moved to Warrington as a "halfway point" as she worked in Liverpool, settled down, had 2 kids....etc etc :) Most of my clients/suppliers are in London/South East/Milton Keynes so I travel a lot.

Back to the sleeper /Warrington aspect - the hotel over the road from WBQ (Patten Arms) is pretty traditional/basic but safe/cheap/warm/decent-ish breakfast - my parents have stayed there where when visiting, as have I recently (both my 8 year old & 5 year old lads love hotels & "sleepovers" with Mum and Dad!) You've got the Village Hotel & the Waterside Hotel (ex Prem Inn) as decent options in Warrington, both near my office but agree there could be more hotels in Warrington.

Pricing for the sleeper is pretty competitive I think for the classic berths this time of year if you buy an advance rail ticket and then the room supplement which is what I did - am not convinced by the club pricing premium/price for the double beds/1st class service ones for business use....but maybe I would feel differently if I went on a leisure trip with the missus and cost is then for 2 people. I imagine its a chunk more in summer/peak season.

PG

Established Member
Pricing for the sleeper is pretty competitive I think for the classic berths this time of year if you buy an advance rail ticket and then the room supplement which is what I did
I'm confused :s

Looking at the CS room supplements page it lists only the holders of these tickets as being valid for travel with a room supplement so how did you manage to travel with an advance ticket?
  • Anytime
  • Off-Peak
  • Super Off-Peak
  • All Line Rover
  • Britrail Passes (that cover the entire journey)
  • Inter-Rail Passes (that include travel in Great Britain)
  • Eurail passes (that include travel in Great Britain)
  • FIP Coupons for Great Britain Passenger Railway

I toyed with the idea of booking the sleeper down to London for my meetings next week, but the leaving Glasgow at 9PM to sit in Edinburgh for goodness knows how long was a bit of a deal breaker.

That being said to the point above the pricing is super competitive when I had my travel agents price it up, I think the sleeper was costing £149 for a club room (disabled persons rail card) whereas the Avanti West Coast and the travel lodge at Euston for the night was about £180.

Will do it when normal service resumes.

Tezza1978

I'm confused :s

Looking at the CS room supplements page it lists only the holders of these tickets as being valid for travel with a room supplement so how did you manage to travel with an advance ticket?

When I booked the room supplement it just said I needed a valid ticket, didnt see any mentions of limited validity. My paper ticket (for the specific train) was checked on boarding along with the screenshot of the room supplement and got a quick "that's all fine, thank you sir"

Edit - just checked the page the text says "Room supplements allow people who already hold National Rail tickets or those included in the list below" - no mention of advances being an issue there whatsoever. Ticket and room supplement was also checked when I went in to the Dundee lounge

Last edited:

Tezza1978

Thanks for that. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable forum members can clarify things re advances for my befuddled brain :oops:

Interestingly -just had a look on the Scotrail ticket search site for future CS trip dates in April and the price that comes up (identical to what I paid on TL Business) Dundee - Eus shows as £55 and is tagged as "Seating Single". The word "advance" isnt even mentioned!

BRX

Established Member
So you had a CS seated ticket and were allowed to upgrade it to a berth, for a supplement? How much was the supplement?

Facing Back

So I live in Warrington mate. Am an Essex boy by birth, went to Uni in Manc in 1997... essentially then never left the area. Met a Scouse lady in 2010, moved to Warrington as a "halfway point" as she worked in Liverpool, settled down, had 2 kids....etc etc :) Most of my clients/suppliers are in London/South East/Milton Keynes so I travel a lot.

Back to the sleeper /Warrington aspect - the hotel over the road from WBQ (Patten Arms) is pretty traditional/basic but safe/cheap/warm/decent-ish breakfast - my parents have stayed there where when visiting, as have I recently (both my 8 year old & 5 year old lads love hotels & "sleepovers" with Mum and Dad!) You've got the Village Hotel & the Waterside Hotel (ex Prem Inn) as decent options in Warrington, both near my office but agree there could be more hotels in Warrington.

Pricing for the sleeper is pretty competitive I think for the classic berths this time of year if you buy an advance rail ticket and then the room supplement which is what I did - am not convinced by the club pricing premium/price for the double beds/1st class service ones for business use....but maybe I would feel differently if I went on a leisure trip with the missus and cost is then for 2 people. I imagine its a chunk more in summer/peak season.
Haha - I’m the other way round - born a Geordie but brought up in Manchester, London for 20 years after uni then back to Chester - met a lady who lived in Manchester and we compromised on Warrington - we lived in Stockton Heath until a couple of years ago.

The Pattern Arms is the one I was thinking of - thanks. It keeps a couple of cold bottles of dog in the fridge so its a pleasant pint away from the austerity of WBQ if my taxi drops me off half an hour before the train. Otherwise its the Spoons… I know the Village but one the Waterside. The last time I stayed in a hotel in the area, the Lord Daresbury was still one.

Thanks for the thoughts on the ticket - sounds like a flyer to me.

PG

Established Member
So you had a CS seated ticket and were allowed to upgrade it to a berth, for a supplement? How much was the supplement?
I've just had a look at prices in July. I'm given the following options:
  • Classic room £250
  • Seat £55
  • Room supplement £130
It seems illogical that CS would undercut their own fares, so although @Tezza1978 was permitted to travel using a seated ticket + room supplement, I'm not sure if they were technically permitted to do so?

najaB

Veteran Member
It seems illogical that CS would undercut their own fares, so although @Tezza1978 was permitted to travel using a seated ticket + room supplement, I'm not sure if they were technically permitted to do so?
When has logic ever applied to the Railway? My guess is that they limit the availability of supplements as services get busier.

al78

Established Member
I've just had a look at prices in July. I'm given the following options:
  • Classic room £250
  • Seat £55
  • Room supplement £130
What exactly is a room supplement? Is it to give you a chance of being upgraded from a seat to a cabin if one is/becomes free?

PG

Established Member
What exactly is a room supplement? Is it to give you a chance of being upgraded from a seat to a cabin if one is/becomes free?
No. It's intended to allow people who already have a flexible ticket valid on multiple TOCs e.g. Anytime Return to pay a bit extra so they can travel in a cabin instead of the seats.

airantraigh

I did that too and explained to the staff that I had enquired at Inverness station the week before and the staff member said that (seat plus supplement) would be a valid option, as she didn’t know how to do ticket upgrades on the sleeper :)

Tezza1978

I did that too and explained to the staff that I had enquired at Inverness station the week before and the staff member said that (seat plus supplement) would be a valid option, as she didn’t know how to do ticket upgrades on the sleeper :)

Also there were no options showing to buy a room on CS on TL Business in using my account so I bought a rail ticket there and then on CS bought the room supplement myself and claimed back from work.
Like I said on my other post on Scotrail the ticket shows as Seating Single and no mention of advance (!) - and nowhere on the CS site does it say any ticket category is excluded from allowing a room supplement to be added on

My gut reaction is its probably one of these quirks like split ticketing savings.... that isn't "publicised" but that savings can be made?

BRX

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that a seated single plus room supplement is not a legitimate combination. If Inverness ticket office are telling people it is... how long until someone shows up for the sleeper and gets told they've not got a valid ticket?

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure that a seated single plus room supplement is not a legitimate combination. If Inverness ticket office are telling people it is... how long until someone shows up for the sleeper and gets told they've not got a valid ticket?
That is a matter for CS to sort out, and not one for the passenger to concern themselves with.