• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

captainbigun

So is that generally the case, that a full emergency stop from linespeed on most stock will result in the wheelsets being scrap? That's pricey.

Many factors including wheel size and tread depth.

Should this be true, what would be the expected time to obtain replacements I presume they aren't available at your local hardware store.

Turning at Longsight is the first option. Wheelsets will be available, worst case it's Peter and Paul with the sets due to be introduced on the Highlander, though you wouldn't want numerous bogies stood awaiting wheels at it'll occupy a lot of shed space required for other jobs.

BRX

Established Member
I'm going to put my money on it being August or September before the mk5s appear on the highlander. Not because i have any special info... just looks like it's going that way to me.
I think I might revise this to Christmas, or something.

Mainliner

Hmmmm, if this is something that could potentially recur, could it take months to fix all stock (Boeing 737 MCAS system fix comes to mind)?!

marks87

Established Member
And WSP is...?

Is it really so difficult to define acronyms, per the forum rules?

Essexman

Established Member
I’m booked to travel to Glasgow in two weeks. Think I might change plans and travel up by day. Coming back from Inverness and have more confidence in the old trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wheel Slip Protection - basically ABS (antilock braking system) for trains. The reason for it is different, though - on a car it is to retain steering ability (sacrificing a small amount of braking performance to ensure you can both brake fully and attempt to steer to avoid the obstacle), on a train it is to avoid damage.

MylesHSG

Also if they can only haul the damaged set at 15mph that severally restricts where they can do it. Can't see them getting them down to Wembley or up to Scotland for the work.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wonder if the head of Serco has been summoned to the offices of Transport Scotland for a severe knuckle rapping!

To be fair given the current condition of the WCML and the ECML the failure of the stock last night and its being out of position for tonights service is a bit of a moot point

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair given the current condition of the WCML and the WCML the failure of the stock last night and its being out of position for tonights service is a bit of a moot point

True...I suspect ironically it's been to their benefit, as there's a fair chance they'd have shown up and found it cancelled outright anyway.

Steve Harris

Turning at Longsight is the first option. Wheelsets will be available, worst case it's Peter and Paul with the sets due to be introduced on the Highlander, though you wouldn't want numerous bogies stood awaiting wheels at it'll occupy a lot of shed space required for other jobs.
Isn't there a wheel lathe at Crewe Eletric ?

I'm sure i saw one on an open day years ago.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
One thing the last 24 hours on this thread has taught me is that it is rife with gossip, speculation and rumour. Nobody here actually knows:

1) how many vehicles are affected
2) the effect of the damage
3) how long repairs will take
4) the cause

It could be one vehicle, it could be the whole rake. I suggest we wait for more official confirmation before scaring off potential customer service with ‘it won’t be fixed till Christmas’.

Erniescooper

One thing the last 24 hours on this thread has taught me is that it is rife with gossip, speculation and rumour. Nobody here actually knows:

1) how many vehicles are affected
2) the effect of the damage
3) how long repairs will take
4) the cause

It could be one vehicle, it could be the whole rake. I suggest we wait for more official confirmation before scaring off potential customer service with ‘it won’t be fixed till Christmas’.
The main thing you should take is don’t listen to rumours. The wheels were measured at Crewe today and then the set was moved on Crewe Diesel by the incredibly helpful LSL people and then split into a 9 and 7 car formation, the back 7 should go back to Wembley where at worst a couple of wheelsets will need a skim. There are maybe 4 or 5 axles in the other 9 with some long but not particularly deep flats that will need maybe 10mm off the radius and I believe these will go to Longsight due to the speed restriction required.

BRX

Established Member
The main thing you should take is don’t listen to rumours. The wheels were measured at Crewe today and then the set was moved on Crewe Diesel by the incredibly helpful LSL people and then split into a 9 and 7 car formation, the back 7 should go back to Wembley where at worst a couple of wheelsets will need a skim. There are maybe 4 or 5 axles in the other 9 with some long but not particularly deep flats that will need maybe 10mm off the radius and I believe these will go to Longsight due to the speed restriction required.
To a layman... 10mm sounds pretty deep!

Ahe80

If I were CS I'd have paid for those tickets and the hotels. If you're offering the journey of a nighttime and a hotel on wheel, you have to do something better than offer an overnight coach when unable to run. In my opinion.
It's not just about getting people to London and giving them a refund, it's about reputational damage. All of those passengers are going to be really tired off, refund or no refund. If they were offered a choice of evening or morning train and a hotel for the night there's a fair chance some of them would have been delighted.
The offer of a daytime train and use of this, may tempt affected users to take this option over the sleeper on future journeys. CS naturally reluctant to offer this - but for the wrong reason.

Last edited: