• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

MrEd

CS have on their website a date of 26/6 as the date that the FW, Aberdeen and Lowlanders are curtailed until...

I wouldn’t see that as being set in stone. I hate to be pessimistic, but I reckon that CS have merely suggested that as a date on which they’ll review the situation. Put it this way, I’m very good friends with several CS staff members and they’re not expecting to see the FW or Aberdeen (or separate Lowlander) returning in the immediate future (and some crew refreshers etc may be needed first, as none of these trains have run since mid-March).

As several folk on here have suggested previously, there is no real need to reinstate the Fort William in particular until tourist businesses in the West Highlands are back up and running, which will be 15th July at the earliest (and many may not reopen until early August or later). Otherwise that section will carry fresh air. That’s assuming the Scottish Government allow us to enter phase 3 in July, which no one can guarantee. I don’t see much need for the Fort William section until maybe early August. I can’t imagine a separate Lowlander being well patronised for a while either, as business travel is at a low level and there’s no Edinburgh festival in August (and city tourism in particular may suffer from social distancing restrictions).

This is going to be a difficult year for CS, to say the least, but I’m sure they’ll get through it. I have a lot of admiration for the staff doing their best to keep the service running all through these strange times. I’m afraid I’m going to be bold and say that they might have to alter their fares and business model to attract demand from a wider spectrum of people later this year, as the well-heeled foreign tourist that so much of the business model is aimed at will not be using the service for the foreseeable future- probably not until well into 2021 or beyond.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrEd

The FW's main purpose is tourism from South East England, so there is no point reinstating that until the English are once again welcome to come and spend money.

Don’t worry- this strange situation won’t be for ever. The Scottish Government know that the Highlands need something of a season, at least, as the local economy is reliant on tourism to an extent. Plenty of businesses in the Highlands that I know have been doing their best to prepare to reopen to domestic tourists from all over the UK in the late summer, while at the same time doing their best to reassure communities and to strike a balance between public safety and being able to succeed as tourist businesses (and make sure that the visitors can still enjoy themselves, despite the control measures). This is an extremely hard balance to strike and cannot be achieved overnight- there’s a lot of work going into planning for this. Once the Scottish Government give the green light, you’re welcome to enjoy responsibly as they say (though bear in mind it may take a while for things to open, and many small B&Bs and restaurants might not open at all this season).

CS will have to have a plan too- how to maintain social distancing when boarding at terminal stations, what to do about movement around the train, what to do about the lounge car/seated coach/on-train catering, how to ensure hygiene in shared toilets etc. I’d have thought that the lounge car will not reopen until social distancing is no longer necessary (as otherwise its capacity will be minute), but some catering offering in the evenings may be necessary until then. CS will need to have a plan for all this before they open the train back up to non-essential travellers.

InOban

Established Member
ScoGov has already announced that tourist facilities would restart that day. The Jacobite starts then also.

MrEd

Interesting, i wonder if thats when the Non - Essential travel is allowed

Entirely plausible (though as yet unconfirmed by the Scottish Government). There’s no point running the Fort William portion otherwise (as I can guarantee that it will be lucky to have one passenger per night if tourist travel is not allowed, and the SG might have concerns about such a train encouraging non-essential journeys). Presumably the Aberdeen portion, and a separate Lowlander, restart then too?

MrEd

ScoGov has already announced that tourist facilities would restart that day. The Jacobite starts then also.

Is this confirmed? Or is this a provisional timeline? That said, it’s looking probable, at least, if they’ve briefed TOCs for this date.

Is this confirmed? Or is this a provisional timeline? That said, it’s looking probable, at least, if they’ve briefed TOCs for this date.
Perhaps it's good practice to run on this route from mid-July even without any fare-paying passengers/guests. Not so long ago there was criticism directed towards the service for rushing in new stock without rudimentary trials, so this could be viewed as an opportunity.

Peter0124

Established Member
It appears Glasgow will only be served by the Fort William train from July 15th, meaning passengers will need to board/alight at Queen Street Low Level

The Lowlander will run to Edinburgh only, departing Euston earlier at 22:45, I presume this will be ran as 8 car only?

InOban

Established Member
The Glasgow portion could reverse at Central and use the chord at Rutherglen to access the Central LL route. Would allow them to detach some vehicles at Central.
Indeed I'm not clear how you expected them to reach Queen Street LL

alistairlees

Established Member
The Glasgow portion could reverse at Central and use the chord at Rutherglen to access the Central LL route. Would allow them to detach some vehicles at Central.
There will be no Glasgow central portion. Passengers for Glasgow will alight from / board the fort William portion at Glasgow Queen street Low Level, through which the ftw portion already passes.

theironroad

Established Member

There is no lowlander service to Glasgow from 15/7

The ftw portion of highlander is diverted via GLQ LL.

Where does central come into it?

35B

Established Member
There will be no Glasgow central portion. Passengers for Glasgow will alight from / board the fort William portion at Glasgow Queen street Low Level, through which the ftw portion already passes.
So passengers for Glasgow will have to leave London earlier, and arrive in Glasgow much earlier, than they would on the Lowlander?

theironroad

Established Member
Of, presumably, go via Edinburgh.

Indeed, that's the alternative suggestion on the cal sleeper website. Though don't recall seeing that edb to glq fare would be included, so would have to buy another ticket unless cal sleeper get acceptance in place temporarily.

InOban

Established Member
But if it's a separate train Euston to FW via Glasgow, how does it get to Queen Street LL,? And will it just have the same number of coaches as the FW portion would normally have?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
But if it's a separate train Euston to FW via Glasgow, how does it get to Queen Street LL,? And will it just have the same number of coaches as the FW portion would normally have?

Presumably via Mossend.

theironroad

Established Member

It's part of the highlander between Euston and Edinburgh where the train will split as usual into a INV portion and a FTW portion (don't think the ABD is being restarted yet), the FTW portion is then diverted via LL at GLQ rather than skrting around north of Glasgow and then continues to Dalmuir etc onwards.

Makes some sense with low passenger numbers as the WHL gets a sleeper service back in line with the Scot government aim to reopen tourism from 15/7 and Glasgow still gets a direct train, albeit at not so convenient timings.

awsnews

It's part of the highlander between Euston and Edinburgh where the train will split as usual into a INV portion and a FTW portion (don't think the ABD is being restarted yet), the FTW portion is then diverted via LL at GLQ rather than skrting around north of Glasgow and then continues to Dalmuir etc onwards.

Makes some sense with low passenger numbers as the WHL gets a sleeper service back in line with the Scot government aim to reopen tourism from 15/7 and Glasgow still gets a direct train, albeit at not so convenient timings.
The Fort William portion is supposed to go via Queen Street LL, previously though you couldn't alight there.

InOban

Established Member
Ah
The impression on an earlier post was that there would be two trains.

Oscar46016

Does that still mean the FW traction will be a 73 or could there be other traction on the cards?
( asking for a friend ):D

alistairlees

Established Member
Ah
The impression on an earlier post was that there would be two trains.
Yes, there will be two trains:
1. Highlander to Inverness (8 coaches) and Fort William (4 or 5 coaches), splitting or joining at Edinburgh as now. The Fort William portion will call at Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to set down (from London) or pick up (going to London). There will be no Aberdeen portion for now.
2. Lowlander to Edinburgh only (8 coaches). There will be no Glasgow Central portion.

Peter0124

Established Member
Will the London-Edinburgh lowlander train be sent to Polmadie after arrival at Edinburgh for day time storage, and vice versa for the Edinburgh-London run?

route101

Established Member
Whats the reason for the lowlander sleeper to stop serving Glasgow and only Edinburgh?