• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

The Planner

Veteran Member
I wonder where's the closest station to London on the ECML that can accommodate the entire train on a platform? Somewhere miles away?
You need a nigh on 400m platform for a full length train, so York more than likely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twingo37175

I wonder where's the closest station to London on the ECML that can accommodate the entire train on a platform? Somewhere miles away?
I assume Peterborough wouldn't so thinking you are looking at the whole of platform 3 (a and b) at Doncaster, if not York (5 or 9?)

Bill57p9

Surely a simpler way to give an earlier arrival of the up Highlander when diverted via ECML would be to reduce the time in Wembley from the current hour though I would guess there is a good reason for the current time.
The up Lowlander has 25 minutes allocated whilst both down services have around 20.

Another reason for needing a reversal when using ECML is to ensure the stock is the right way round when it next gets to Scotland.

Twingo37175

Another reason for needing a reversal when using ECML is to ensure the stock is the right way round when it next gets to Scotland.
I believe (and stand to be corrected) it is that there is no direct route from the NLL to Euston (and vice versa heading North), meaning it has to go to Wembley (easiest spot) for a loco to be added to pull it down to London. On a similar basis (heading North) the 92 that took the ECS into Euston, stays on the departing train to Wembley and it is the 92 at the Northern end that is removed with the train then ready to go.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Surely a simpler way to give an earlier arrival of the up Highlander when diverted via ECML would be to reduce the time in Wembley from the current hour though I would guess there is a good reason for the current time.
In practice, while it is timetabled for up to an hour at Wembley it can go into Euston early if everything is ready and there is capacity to do so.

6Z09

You'd be alright going as far as vest and shorts, wouldn't that be cool enough?
I don't think many find the Sleeper seated coach too warm!
Quite the opposite, to cold most of the time.

tornado

Hi, here are a few tips of mine based on a recent CS journey. I actually got a decent nights sleep despite being a light sleeper.
  • Bring two 50x50cm sheets of kitchen foil. You can wrap these over the ring lights around the light switches which still shine when the lights are off. Removable in the morning with no damage to the compartment!
  • Bring your own high quality comfortable foam earplugs. I recommend Mack's Original (the green ones)
  • Lowlander tip: arrive at boarding time, don't spend too long looking around, eat before you come, skip breakfast (which I heard is delivered at 6.30am), and put the do not disturb sign on the door. That should just about give you 8 hours sleep.
  • If you hear noise (loud music etc.) from the next cabin, a polite thump on their external door seems to work!

Last edited:

kentrailman

Hi, here are a few tips of mine based on a recent CS journey. I actually got a decent nights sleep despite being a light sleeper.
  • Bring two 50x50cm sheets of kitchen foil. You can wrap these over the ring lights around the light switches which still shine when the lights are off. Removable in the morning with no damage to the compartment
Also perhaps worth bringing something to cover up the strip light in the toilet that never turns off ( or does someone know how to turn it off !) In case, as on a recent trip, the toilet door doesn't close completely.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
  • Bring two 50x50cm sheets of kitchen foil. You can wrap these over the ring lights around the light switches which still shine when the lights are off. Removable in the morning with no damage to the compartment!
  • Bring your own high quality comfortable foam earplugs. I recommend Mack's Original (the green ones)
  • Lowlander tip: arrive at boarding time, don't spend too long looking around, eat before you come, skip breakfast (which I heard is delivered at 6.30am), and put the do not disturb sign on the door. That should just about give you 8 hours sleep.
  • If you hear noise (loud music etc.) from the next cabin, a polite thump on their external door seems to work!
Are they very big light switches or is 50mm x 50mm enough ?.

Essexman

Established Member
Blutac works well to cover the annoying switch lights.

Good advice to maximise sleeping time on Lowlander.

Caleb2010

A Bluetooth eye mask playing soothing sounds does it all for me - in the accessible double I prop the battery for my CPAP machine up against the panel with the lights and have no problem!

AberdeenBill

Are the berths in the Mark 5's slightly wider than the Mark 3's (apart from obviously the double) or do they just feel a slightly more spacious to me due to the brighter colour scheme and lighting compared to the gloomy purple of the old ones?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are the berths in the Mark 5's slightly wider than the Mark 3's (apart from obviously the double) or do they just feel a slightly more spacious to me due to the brighter colour scheme and lighting compared to the gloomy purple of the old ones?
The bed is certainly longer.

kentrailman

Mods .. Feel free to move this post to the 'tannoy' thread if you wish to as it could go in either ..
But guess what they were using on the Inverness to Euston sleeper as a 'wake up call' at 715am on Tuesday morning this week ?
' See it say it sorted' !

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Mods .. Feel free to move this post to the 'tannoy' thread if you wish to as it could go in either ..
But guess what they were using on the Inverness to Euston sleeper as a 'wake up call' at 715am on Tuesday morning this week ?
' See it say it sorted' !
Goodness. But if you see anything suspicious then you are surely awake already :rolleyes:.

Julian G

Established Member
1S25 21:15 ex Euston (Highlander) still hasn’t left Euston. It seems the loco was having issues and is being replaced.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On the move now, left Euston at 2259 and currently 109L at Watford Junction
The Highlander was originally 92 043; that was swapped for 92 033 - the stock was returned to Wembley for this. That released 92 020, which had brought in the ecs, off the blocks at Euston sooner than otherwise possible in order for it to work the Lowlander.

When the Highlander stock came back ecs for the second time, it was 92 028 bringing it in.

Statto

Established Member
I believe (and stand to be corrected) it is that there is no direct route from the NLL to Euston (and vice versa heading North), meaning it has to go to Wembley (easiest spot) for a loco to be added to pull it down to London. On a similar basis (heading North) the 92 that took the ECS into Euston, stays on the departing train to Wembley and it is the 92 at the Northern end that is removed with the train then ready to go.

Indeed there is no direct connecting line from NLL to Euston, so trains have to reverse, & Wembley is the most convenient place to reverse without blocking the main line.

Another issue is getting a path, considering it's well into the weekday morning peak period when the sleeper arrives in London (if it's not a bank holiday of course), all lines will be very busy, & then is there any other trains booked to be on the same platform as the sleeper, before the sleeper arrives

Bill57p9

Morning all, does anyone know what’s happening with 1Y11? Has it skipped the Glasgow stop to make up time?
Yes: nothing showing on RTT between Newbridge Junction & Westerton indicates that it was routed via Falkirk & Cowlairs. Fairly normal procedure if it is late.

BRX

Established Member
Inverness northbound is going to be late in any case... HML currently closed south of Inverness for "track inspection".

AberdeenBill

Bit of a random post, but i first used the sleeper in 1983. I have read that at one time there was a 'chamber pot' under the sink in the berths. Does anyone know when that stopped? I cant recall it being on that 1983 train.