• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Roast Veg

Established Member
Only once did a delay inconvenience me. I was going to Lindisfarne, sleeper to Edinburgh, train the Berwick, then bus. Fortunately I got a taxi from Berwick arriving on the island just before the tide covered the causeway.
The Lindisfarne bus is always a risk factor!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Only once did a delay inconvenience me. I was going to Lindisfarne, sleeper to Edinburgh, train the Berwick, then bus. Fortunately I got a taxi from Berwick arriving on the island just before the tide covered the causeway.
Surprised you were able to get a taxi to take you that close to the tide. Did he make it back to the mainland?

Surprised you were able to get a taxi to take you that close to the tide. Did he make it back to the mainland?
From what I recall you still have a reasonable length of time after the causeway is covered before the water becomes too deep for a car. Certainly enough to drive over and back again if you're just dropping someone off.

najaB

Veteran Member
From what I recall you still have a reasonable length of time after the causeway is covered before the water becomes too deep for a car. Certainly enough to drive over and back again if you're just dropping someone off.
Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a taxi driver refused to take someone across once the causeway was starting to be covered because even the chance of getting stuck and losing half a day's earning would put them off.

Roast Veg

Established Member
There's an abundance of warnings on the causeway, and local taxis will be acutely aware of the risks. The bus is more limited, in that it has only a finite number of possible timetabled crossings to choose from - any two from a list of six I believe.

Bill57p9

Why has the arrivals into GLC been sitting outside for excessive times over last few days.
Surely with reduced services, some reallocations can be used and plt 1 be available for the arrival.
Could have been in 30 mins early last 2 days
It has been waiting for 1M92 0709 TPE to Manchester Airport to vacate platform 1.

It does seem to have arriving early over the past couple of days, probably due to TPE cancellations.

When a normal ScotRail timetable is in operation the down Glasgow sleeper is pathed behind a Lanark to Glasgow Central from Shieldmuir so doesn't have an opportunity to run early, the reduced timetable has removed that conflict.

Scotrail88

It has been waiting for 1M92 0709 TPE to Manchester Airport to vacate platform 1.

It does seem to have arriving early over the past couple of days, probably due to TPE cancellations.

When a normal ScotRail timetable is in operation the down Glasgow sleeper is pathed behind a Lanark to Glasgow Central from Shieldmuir so doesn't have an opportunity to run early, the reduced timetable has removed that conflict.
It looks like they have moved the TPE as now leaving from plt 5.
So the sleeper can get a clear run in.
Even with a normal ScotRail, it usually sits at Carstairs so could be sent through early and be in GLC for 7

43 302

Established Member
Any chance of a quote for the south bound 92s this evening please? I need 18, 23 & 33.

Scotrail88

Out of curiosity, does anyone have how the staffing works (both driving and onboard) for the lowland service.

Believe onboard are end to end but driving switches mid route.

Then what about the shunt moves? Does the driver end at central and another pick up return to polmadie?

Hooligan

Out of curiosity, does anyone have how the staffing works (both driving and onboard) for the lowland service.

Believe onboard are end to end but driving switches mid route.

Then what about the shunt moves? Does the driver end at central and another pick up return to polmadie?
The driver finishes at Glasgow Central after taking M11 to Preston and S26 back, with the driver who brings loco to attach to rear, taking train to Polmadie

najaB

Veteran Member
A bug in the data, a bug in Trainline's software or have there been changes to the booking policy for northbound services?

1657483653231.png

Tormod

Given that the sleepers didn't run last night due to the lines down on the WCML, why didn't they divert to the ECML as has happened recently?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Given that the sleepers didn't run last night due to the lines down on the WCML, why didn't they divert to the ECML as has happened recently?
I suspect you have to divert all or none of the sleepers via the ECML to ensure the drivers are in the right place to swap between services and have plans to do so. A short notice change isn't likely to be possible.

Caleb2010

I would have thought that the recent diversion via the ECML would have been planned weeks or months in advance, rather than with less than 12 hours notice!

Then again I would also imagine CS would have explored that possibility before cancelling the journeys!

najaB

Veteran Member
I would have thought that the recent diversion via the ECML would have been planned weeks or months in advance, rather than with less than 12 hours notice!
Indeed. If for no other reason than needing drivers and guards who sign the route - which would be next to impossible to roster at such short notice.

Class 466

Established Member
Booked on the sleeper on Tuesday night - I expect it won't actually run though!

6Z09

Indeed. If for no other reason than needing drivers and guards who sign the route - which would be next to impossible to roster at such short notice.
All of their own Guards,who work the South leg, sign East Coast.
Drivers possibly an issue, short notice, although it's a fairly small pool of Drivers that operate the service normally.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
North and West of Edinburgh it hasn't been hot today and it's been raining this afternoon /evening.

najaB

Veteran Member
North and West of Edinburgh it hasn't been hot today and it's been raining this afternoon /evening.
I believe the issues were expected to be in the North of England - I know some trains were cancelled on the WCML earlier on today, so the risk was always that disruption would continue into the night.