• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Helensburgh Upper is one of my local stations and I use it for catching the CS south (when there is Club availability!!!). But there is nothing there other than a bus shelter. Quite surprised about the mention of a substantive building on site once because there is very little space especially as it used to be an island platform.
The station building at Helensburgh Upper was the standard West Highland 'chalet' style building. I imagine the platform would be a similar width to the other stations with this building including e.g. Garelochhead, perhaps rampant vegetation is masking the original platform width? I do have a photo somewhere showing the building (after the loop had been removed) and will see if I can dig it out. The ticket office was staffed well into the 1980's albeit latterly only on early shift.

I incidentally the original 'signal box' (a standard West Highland 'box' which was effectively covered a Ground Frame with the instruments in the station building) was replaced by a larger box when the loop was extended in connection with the opening of the Faslane Branch during the war which required the running of longer freight trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
The station building at Helensburgh Upper was the standard West Highland 'chalet' style building. I imagine the platform would be a similar width to the other stations with this building including e.g. Garelochhead, perhaps rampant vegetation is masking the original platform width?

This picture shows what looks to me like a pretty standard WHL island platform width

JamieL

This picture shows what looks to me like a pretty standard WHL island platform width
Thanks for the picture. Such a shame the building was demolished, it would have been a much better waiting room than currently in situ.

When was it demolished? Judging on the comments above, not until the 1980s. But surely it should have been listed?

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks for the picture. Such a shame the building was demolished, it would have been a much better waiting room than currently in situ.

When was it demolished? Judging on the comments above, not until the 1980s. But surely it should have been listed?
I think the story is along these lines. In 1968 when the loop was removed and the signal box closed the idea was that Helensburgh Upper should close along with Craigendoran Upper, Rhu and Shandon when the stopping service to Arrocher was withdrawn but it remained open because it was a useful jumping off point on the Faslane Branch trains. There was hope that the Faslane Branch would be retained to service the new Vanguard nuclear submarines but in 1983 this didn't happen and the Faslane Branch was scrapped and Helensburgh Upper Station Building was demolished. There were again rumours that the station was to close and about this time the sleeper was to be withdrawn. Garelochead station was listed in 1986. In 1988 RETB signalling was introduced with Helensburgh Upper as the border with physical signalling. The filling in of the loop trackbed and landscaping occurred in about 2008.

JamieL

I think the story is along these lines. In 1968 when the loop was removed and the signal box closed the idea was that Helensburgh Upper should close along with Craigendoran Upper, Rhu and Shandon when the stopping service to Arrocher was withdrawn but it remained open because it was a useful jumping off point on the Faslane Branch trains. There was hope that the Faslane Branch would be retained to service the new Vanguard nuclear submarines but in 1983 this didn't happen and the Faslane Branch was scrapped and Helensburgh Upper Station Building was demolished. There were again rumours that the station was to close and about this time the sleeper was to be withdrawn. Garelochead station was listed in 1986. In 1988 RETB signalling was introduced with Helensburgh Upper as the border with physical signalling. The filling in of the loop trackbed and landscaping occurred in about 2008.
Thank you, that is really informative. This forum needs a like button!

I still find it amazing that everyday hundreds of people drive from Dumbarton to the base parallel with the railway line - they should really build a new station at Faslane/Shandon.

Last edited:

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I still find it amazing that everyday hundreds of people drive from Dumbarton to the base parallel with the railway line - they should really build a new station at Faslane/Shandon.
A station for Faslane has been talked about in recent times but I am not sure how far up anyone's action list or even wish list it is. There was a suggestion electrification might extend to such a station, or even to Garelochhead where a 'Faslane' service might terminate.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Thank you, that is really informative. This forum needs a like button!

It might be parallel but it's not exactly close. A considerable uphill hike to a new station is probably not welcome after a long shift. And how many people at Faslane have start/finish times that coincide with the 6 trains a day service? Can't see many using it.

D6130

Established Member
Before I'm crucified by the moderators - having admittedly been the chief culprit - I think I had better try to bring this thread back on topic and give the Caledonian Sleeper at least a passing mention! However the history of the railways in the Helensburgh area is fascinating and surprisingly complex, therefore:

MODS: Could I please suggest transferring posts #13,359 to #13.368 to a new thread on the subject of 'Railways in the Helensburgh area' ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to discuss the Caledonian Sleeper.

If anyone sees a thread go off-topic, please do not reply to it; instead, please report the first off-topic post, using the report button (and include any relevant details, such as post numbers of any other off-topic posts, and a suggested thread title).

snowleopard

I'm sure I read way upthread that if you take a bike you have to get up and move it yourself. I'd expect that to be the same for luggage.

Aha, good point, didn’t think of that. I knew about the bikes though didn’t realise this would apply to luggage too of course. Seat 61 certainly doesn’t mention the fact you’d have to get up in the middle of the night to move your luggage when saying that one can drop off larger items in the guard’s van… that would rather negate the advantage of having slightly more space in the room!
Thanks for reminding me of this…

trebor79

Established Member
Aha, good point, didn’t think of that. I knew about the bikes though didn’t realise this would apply to luggage too of course. Seat 61 certainly doesn’t mention the fact you’d have to get up in the middle of the night to move your luggage when saying that one can drop off larger items in the guard’s van… that would rather negate the advantage of having slightly more space in the room!
Thanks for reminding me of this…
I think it only applies to those going to/from Fort William as that's the only portion that doesn't have the same seated and guard van coaches throughout.

paul1609

Established Member
I think it only applies to those going to/from Fort William as that's the only portion that doesn't have the same seated and guard van coaches throughout.
Even though theres far more seated passengers and luggage going to Fort William than Aberdeen for most of the year!

trainophile

Established Member
Couple of questions, I'm sure they are covered elsewhere, but a quick refresher to save me trawling through:

1). Do they still provide a toiletries pack in the sleeper cabins, and if so what's in it?
2). What time can you board at Euston for the Fort William service?
3). Can you take your own alcohol on board, and if so can you take it into the Lounge car?

enginedin

Anyone know what's in the toiletries pack?
Shower gel and shampoo are in wall-mounted dispensers. You get a small bar of (quite fragrant, but not unpleasantly so!) Arran soap, and a sleep pack. (and, most importantly, 2 small bars of Mackies chocolate if you're in a Club cabin )

Attachments

• 20231126_114348.jpg
    20231126_114348.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

Gonzoiku

Shower gel and shampoo are in wall-mounted dispensers. You get a small bar of (quite fragrant, but not unpleasantly so!) Arran soap, and a sleep pack. (and, most importantly, 2 small bars of Mackies chocolate if you're in a Club cabin )
No chocolate on my northbound Highlander last week, although I had received 2 bars on the southbound. And to call it a "toiletries pack" is an insult to the intelligence of those who travelled when it was last operated by ScotRail!

GZ

trainophile

Established Member
No chocolate on my northbound Highlander last week, although I had received 2 bars on the southbound. And to call it a "toiletries pack" is an insult to the intelligence of those who travelled when it was last operated by ScotRail!

GZ
Ah, better start packing* my usual "all eventualities" travel pack then. When I last used the CS in early 2017 it was a rather nice re-usable pack with a decent sized shampoo & shower gel bottle, a CS logo'd flannel, and other things that I can't remember.

(*Not going until next Feb but I like to be organised!)

Gonzoiku

Brilliant, thanks Caleb, we're going on a Wednesday so that's perfect. And of course there's the Lounge now if we arrive early.
Unlike the toiletries pack, I can wholly recommend the Sleeper Lounge at Euston, a significant improvement on the AWC 1st class lounge, not least because you can get decent food and drink to eat in pleasant surroundings (at least, until the Lowlander passengers start to arrive shortly before you leave to board the Highlander). Sausage Wellington and a can of Black Isle Blonde for £15 went down well, and represents extra revenue for CS too.

But if I am right in thinking that 2 of you travelling together in a Club cabin hope to use the en suite shower, I strongly suggest that you avail of the facilities in the lounge! Space in the cabin barely permits one to get dry after showering, and the shower itself is on a "press to operate" valve which gives maybe 30 seconds of water in what amounts to a waterproof cupboard.

GZ

Sleep pack which is in your photo contains an eyemask and two earplugs (in CS green). No socks, no pillow spray!

And definitely no flannel/mini towel, nor shaving kit. If you really want a mini towel, I have plenty to spare!

GZ

trainophile

Established Member
Unlike the toiletries pack, I can wholly recommend the Sleeper Lounge at Euston, a significant improvement on the AWC 1st class lounge, not least because you can get decent food and drink to eat in pleasant surroundings (at least, until the Lowlander passengers start to arrive shortly before you leave to board the Highlander). Sausage Wellington and a can of Black Isle Blonde for £15 went down well, and represents extra revenue for CS too.

But if I am right in thinking that 2 of you travelling together in a Club cabin hope to use the en suite shower, I strongly suggest that you avail of the facilities in the lounge! Space in the cabin barely permits one to get dry after showering, and the shower itself is on a "press to operate" valve which gives maybe 30 seconds of water in what amounts to a waterproof cupboard.

GZ

Sleep pack which is in your photo contains an eyemask and two earplugs (in CS green). No socks, no pillow spray!

And definitely no flannel/mini towel, nor shaving kit. If you really want a mini towel, I have plenty to spare!

GZ
Wow thanks for the advice. I take it a normal towel for drying after you wash or shower is still provided? Also I believe the cabins have USB sockets now?

Is the sink separate from the shower "cupboard"? Might be easier to have a strip wash, taking my own flannel of course. The toilet space (if "space" isn't too inappropriate a word) doubles as the shower cubicle I think? Can you press the 30 second water delivery button more than once, or is that your lot? We usually shower in the morning rather than at night so probably give the Lounge facilities a miss. Is there a shower facility at Fort William?

It's so helpful all this, so we don't get caught out. Please keep the replies and useful details coming.

alistairlees

Established Member
Wow thanks for the advice. I take it a normal towel for drying after you wash or shower is still provided?
Yes several towels
Also I believe the cabins have USB sockets now?
Yes a couple I think

Is the sink separate from the shower "cupboard"?
Yes
Might be easier to have a strip wash, taking my own flannel of course. The toilet space (if "space" isn't too inappropriate a word) doubles as the shower cubicle I think?
Correct
Can you press the 30 second water delivery button more than once, or is that your lot?
You can press more than once of course, but there is advice to moderate your usage
We usually shower in the morning rather than at night so probably give the Lounge facilities a miss. Is there a shower facility at Fort William?
Yes (it’s quite a nice facility actually, I last used it in 2019, after a day out walking and before getting the train to London)
It's so helpful all this, so we don't get caught out. Please keep the replies and useful details coming.
No problem

2030 boarding Monday to Friday, Sunday could be different
@trainophile is going in February, and the timings may well be slightly different then. However, @trainophile you will receive 'pre-trip' emails 4 weeks, 1 week and 2 days before travel updating you on any changes to boarding (or departure) times, however slight. In the meantime planning a journey on the website for the intended day of travel will show the relevant boardng (and departure) time.

Last edited:

jagardner1984

Some interesting challenges getting booked this morning - all sorted now but wonder if I might DM you the details @alistairlees for your info.

Really just posting this because I don’t think good practice is highlighted enough here - and I must say CS customer service were attentive, speedy and most critically human when dealing with my problem. Other companies with “we might reply within 28 days” …. Take note.

glenbogle

Bit of a disaster for travellers tonight.

Fort William to London Euston
We are sorry to advise that due to a problem with our train, your service from Fort William has been cancelled.

Despite our best efforts we have been unable to source road replacement transport.

Inverness to London Euston
We are sorry to advise that due to the inclement weather over the weekend, we have not been able to fully service our train as we normally would. Our equipment that provides power and water has been inoperative and as a result, we have an extremely limited supply of water on board our train.

As a result, there is only one standard toilet working on board the train. We strongly suggest that guests take the opportunity to use station facilities before boarding. Our lounges at Inverness and Aberdeen can be used if required. We also urge guests to use the on board water supplies sparingly.

If you would prefer not to travel and cannot return home, we will attempt to secure hotel accommodation for you overnight and ticket acceptance for travel on other operators services tomorrow.

Tormod

Bit of a disaster for travellers tonight.

Fort William to London Euston
We are sorry to advise that due to a problem with our train, your service from Fort William has been cancelled.

Despite our best efforts we have been unable to source road replacement transport.

Inverness to London Euston
We are sorry to advise that due to the inclement weather over the weekend, we have not been able to fully service our train as we normally would. Our equipment that provides power and water has been inoperative and as a result, we have an extremely limited supply of water on board our train.

As a result, there is only one standard toilet working on board the train. We strongly suggest that guests take the opportunity to use station facilities before boarding. Our lounges at Inverness and Aberdeen can be used if required. We also urge guests to use the on board water supplies sparingly.

If you would prefer not to travel and cannot return home, we will attempt to secure hotel accommodation for you overnight and ticket acceptance for travel on other operators services tomorrow.
Why not join the trains up at Aberdeen instead of Edinburgh?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
An earlier departure from Inverness at short notice and missing out all intermediate stops Inv - Edinburgh.
It is already going via Aberdeen tonight because of engineering work on the route via Aviemore. However, doing shunting at Aberdeen would mean considerable delay to the Aberdeen portion and awkward operating at the intermediate stations.