• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

popeter45

UK gauge trains can't use the Eurostar platforms at St Pancras, Stratford, Ebbsfleet or Ashford as the platforms are too low and there's a huge gap between the platform and the train. Ashford has an unofficial scaffold board for the use of engineering trains!
373's are pretty much UK loading gauge
also as its not the fastest loading not that much to add a few placeable steps on the platform

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
373's are pretty much UK loading gauge
also as its not the fastest loading not that much to add a few placeable steps on the platform
It's the rulebook. I presume that the 373 nol sets must have had adjustable steps (like the pendolinos). When the 395s used the Stratford International platforms for the Olympics the platforms were temporarily rebuilt with a wooden structure over the top. Either way the CS stock is unsuitable for calling at hs1 international platforms without major modification.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I know people who use the Caledonian Sleeper multiple times per year.
Last time I travelled on it I sat at a table in the club car with a freelance journalist who made a return trip every week. He was on first name terms with all the stewards which considerably speeded up our drinks service!
On my last trip to Glasgow, I had the odd experience of watching a current affairs programme on my tablet computer, knowing that the presenter was on the train! (We had met him in the Club lounge, having just arrived at Euston after recording it earlier that evening)

(I didn't watch much of it - iplayer reception wasn't brilliant on a moving train).

I presume that the 373 nol sets must have had adjustable steps (like the pendolinos).
They did. But not for that reason. 373s did not call at any normal platforms in the UK - only the International platforms at Waterloo and Ashford, which were built to the same designs as those at Brussels Midi and Paris GdN.

But I recall at Lille they extended steps down to reach the Continetal-style low level platforms.

How they would have worked on the North of London services I dont know.

Steve Harris

373s did not call at any normal platforms in the UK - only the International platforms at Waterloo and Ashford, which were built to the same designs as those at Brussels Midi and Paris GdN.
I must of dreamt that I travelled on a 373 NoL set operating a GNER York - London King's Cross service about 27 years ago !

Likewise the 373 NoL set I travelled on from Peterborough to Leeds circa 2000 must of been a fantasy too.

Getting back on topic - I never did use the lounge when I used the sleeper (mk III days).

merry

I must of dreamt that I travelled on a 373 NoL set operating a GNER York - London King's Cross service about 27 years ago !

Likewise the 373 NoL set I travelled on from Peterborough to Leeds circa 2000 must of been a fantasy too

Nope. All real. 373s were used on regular ECML services for some years (after mk4 losses at Hatfield and Potters Bar). Selective door opening was among the required features, as they were too long for most platforms ( and only fitted a few at KGX, 0 1 and 8 iirc) A very nice ride too.

norbitonflyer

Established Member

Likewise the 373 NoL set I travelled on from Peterborough to Leeds circa 2000 must of been a fantasy too.
I'd forgotten them. How was it done? Did the NoL sets have different arrangements? because a 373 and 374 both fit the International platforms at St Pancras.

Krokodil

Established Member
They did. But not for that reason. 373s did not call at any normal platforms in the UK - only the International platforms at Waterloo and Ashford, which were built to the same designs as those at Brussels Midi and Paris GdN.

A friend of mine was a Eurostar guard in 3rd rail days. He says that 373s had lower steps which deployed when calling at European platforms. Waterloo International was at UK height but wider width.

Once had to terminate at a station in the SE as there was only one working traction motor. All passengers transferred onto an eight-coach Connex slammer, borrowed specially. I presume that the station was designated in some contingency plan, such that the platform could be sealed from the rest as the train was bonded for customs purposes. Don't forget also that Kensington Olympia was the contingency terminus in the event that Waterloo was inaccessible.