• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

caledonian Sleepers and All Line Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hi all

just wanting to check the correct rules Re the use of a 7 day Standard ALR in seated accommodation on the sleaper on the last day of validity.

My rover starts this Friday the 23rd and ends the following Thursday the 29th and I want if possible to use it to return from Euston to Edinburgh on that night aboard the 23:50. The sleaper website says you can only buy supplements if your ticket is valid for the date of arrival. Is this therefor their policy for seated pax also?

Confused is not the word as Im sure Id read on here that you should be fine to use such a ticket for this journey??

Many thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Maybe stick this on the Caledonian Sleeper thread so you catch the eye of those "in the know"?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm sure we've had this confirmed as fine, from an official source, but I can't for the life of me remember where. I have looked but can't see. I'll have another look later.

greatkingrat

Established Member
From the NRE Knowledge Base:

Rover Tickets, BritRail Passes and Inter-Rail passes

Rover Ticket (14 or 7 days), BritRail and InterRail pass holders may travel in the seated accommodation or on payment of the relevant berth supplement.

The only passes valid are:

All Line Rover tickets (either 14 or 7 days)
BritRail including both England and Scotland or England only between Carlisle and London only.
InterRail with travel in Great Britain included (bought outside the UK)

These tickets need to be valid on the date of arrival in destination, not necessarily date of departure.

So you can catch a sleeper departing on the night of Thursday 22nd, but not on Thursday 29th.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sadly the useless Serco refuse to accept an ALR on the last day of validity. This is typical of their behaviour which has also seen:

- appalling reliability
- massive increase in berth fees
- removal of berth supplement for exclusive use of a standard class berth
- refusal to accept Scottish Local Routeing Guide Easements
- inability to obtain reservations for the seated sleeper service between Fort William and Edinburgh/Glasgow

robbeech

Established Member
What about combining the rover with a ticket from Preston to Edinburgh?
You are allowed to use it up until a timetabled 0429 on the day after the last day of validity, which would be the Saturday, and you can combine a rover ticket with a single ticket, and the train doesn't have to stop there, although it does, but not for passengers.

robbeech

Established Member
In reality, I have never shown my actual ticket to anyone at Euston or Edinburgh, or Glasgow for that matter, just the berth supplement, and once at Euston I didn't show any, just gave them my name.
The rules say this isn't doable, but in practise I don't think they would have a problem / even know. It's a risk though.

causton

Established Member
In reality, I have never shown my actual ticket to anyone at Euston or Edinburgh, or Glasgow for that matter, just the berth supplement, and once at Euston I didn't show any, just gave them my name.
The rules say this isn't doable, but in practise I don't think they would have a problem / even know. It's a risk though.

I think the OP is after seated accommodation, which could be different.

The problem is that there is a wide range of outcomes, I have been let off obvious problems with my ticket on some occasions, and on one I was given a right telling off by someone for something that was not at all made clear to me, and I bloody sell the tickets :lol:

So there is about an equal chance of getting away with it, as there is someone not knowing what an All Line Rover is and not letting them on, unfortunately!

robbeech

Established Member
I think the OP is after seated accommodation, which could be different.

The problem is that there is a wide range of outcomes, I have been let off obvious problems with my ticket on some occasions, and on one I was given a right telling off by someone for something that was not at all made clear to me, and I bloody sell the tickets :lol:

So there is about an equal chance of getting away with it, as there is someone not knowing what an All Line Rover is and not letting them on, unfortunately!

Yes so no berth supplement but you could show a reservation, they're really not interested in the actual ticket, or never have been when I have been on it, admittedly less than 20 times.

robbeech

Established Member
Can you claim Delay Repay on an ALR?

Yes absolutely, different toc will give different levels of compensation but people like VT and XC will give you 10% of the ticket value on a delay over 120 minutes.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What about combining the rover with a ticket from Preston to Edinburgh?
You are allowed to use it up until a timetabled 0429 on the day after the last day of validity, which would be the Saturday, and you can combine a rover ticket with a single ticket, and the train doesn't have to stop there, although it does, but not for passengers.

That would be ok and if travelling on Friday night into Saturday then an Off Peak would suffice although I suspect it would be cheaper to book a Seated Sleeper Advance ticket.

Another point worth noting for obtaining maximum validity on the first day of an ALR is to board the lowland sleeper at Watford Junction where it picks up at 0010 northbound or at Motherwell at 0001 southbound (note this doesn't apply on Sundays as the calls are before Midnight). The Night Riviera calling at Reading at 0046 is also useful for the same reasons.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thanks all, I think I'll leave it. I am in Manchester on the last afternoon and as Iv never been from Manchester to Sheffield or to Morwidge via Thetford I was contemplating a last major milage spree mamely Man NRW LST EUS EDB but I is a Thursday into Friday so will leave it and do that some other time I think.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sadly the useless Serco refuse to accept an ALR on the last day of validity. This is typical of their behaviour which has also seen:

- appalling reliability
- massive increase in berth fees
- removal of berth supplement for exclusive use of a standard class berth
- refusal to accept Scottish Local Routeing Guide Easements
- inability to obtain reservations for the seated sleeper service between Fort William and Edinburgh/Glasgow

And whilst I havnt tested it Im prepared to bet that they now woant accept Scottish Government issued consession passes issued to Visually Impaired passengers now their own TMs/Guards are working the trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.