• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian Storm Damage / Conwy Valley Flooding 02/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
The peak of the flood is moving downstream. Expected at Worcester during the night.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Surely that is down to NR to get the job done correctly, challenging, yes, impossible, no
But they've got their hands tied with budgetary rules that only allow them to repair damaged track, and not make preventative alterations to undamaged portions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But they've got their hands tied with budgetary rules that only allow them to repair damaged track, and not make preventative alterations to undamaged portions.

Though they have made alterations to bits that have washed out to reduce the cost of reinstating them - some of that work is visible on the section that has washed out.

Similarly the new Dolwyddelan platform is built to stand it.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Though they have made alterations to bits that have washed out to reduce the cost of reinstating them - some of that work is visible on the section that has washed out.

Similarly the new Dolwyddelan platform is built to stand it.

Dolgarrog? I haven't been up since the waters receded but I would like to see how it held up, the top of the new platform was just about visible in the pictures I posted. I want to see how the rest held up. Might take a drive up this weekend.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Dolgarrog? I haven't been up since the waters receded but I would like to see how it held up, the top of the new platform was just about visible in the pictures I posted. I want to see how the rest held up. Might take a drive up this weekend.
The station got away pretty much undamaged, the worst I saw was the wooden anti-trespass things near the crossing washed up onto the platform ramp. It looks nigh-on finished; I'm sure it would be open by now if the rest of the line hadn't been flooded again.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The station got away pretty much undamaged, the worst I saw was the wooden anti-trespass things near the crossing washed up onto the platform ramp. It looks nigh-on finished; I'm sure it would be open by now if the rest of the line hadn't been flooded again.

Thanks for the update :)

Belperpete

Established Member
The station got away pretty much undamaged, the worst I saw was the wooden anti-trespass things near the crossing washed up onto the platform ramp.
I noticed that at the recently-refurbished Porthmadog level crossing, they have replaced the wooden anti-trespass rails with a moulded (GRP/plastic?) unit.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Cambrian closed Newtown - Shrewsbury on Sunday to repair a small landslip on one of the embankements.
Bus replacement in place.

Belperpete

Established Member
Cambrian closed Newtown - Shrewsbury on Sunday to repair a small landslip on one of the embankements.
Bus replacement in place.
A pity that this didn't appear in Journey Check.

I notice that the closure on 4th April also doesn't appear on either TfW's "planned improvement works" page, or NRE's "future engineering works" page. Despite me pointing this out to TfW last week.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Considering that Sunday's work was an emergency, and if it hadn't been done could have resulted in a much bigger problem I think your "objection" a little unrealistic.

And I can find no details of any closure on 4/4!

Belperpete

Established Member
Considering that Sunday's work was an emergency, and if it hadn't been done could have resulted in a much bigger problem I think your "objection" a little unrealistic.
I wasn't objecting to the work being done. I was complaining that even on the day, Journey Check was still telling passengers nothing about it.

Belperpete

Established Member
The Cambrian is currently closed between Barmouth and Harlech due to flooding.

Journey Check includes the following:
Barmouth to Harlech - Line is currently closed between Barmouth and Harlech due to localised flooding. A rail replacement bus service is in operation between Barmouth and Harlech.

But then when you look down at the list of individual train changes, you find things like:
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 10:01 Barmouth to Pwllheli due 11:15.

I suspect that they mean a bus not train, but with this and previously noted incidents of mis-leading and missing information, I am rapidly loosing confidence in TfW's Journey Check information.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The Cambrian is currently closed between Barmouth and Harlech due to flooding.

Journey Check includes the following:
Barmouth to Harlech - Line is currently closed between Barmouth and Harlech due to localised flooding. A rail replacement bus service is in operation between Barmouth and Harlech.

But then when you look down at the list of individual train changes, you find things like:
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 10:01 Barmouth to Pwllheli due 11:15.

I suspect that they mean a bus not train, but with this and previously noted incidents of mis-leading and missing information, I am rapidly loosing confidence in TfW's Journey Check information.
What took you so long?

Parham Wood

Dolgarrog now has an electronic departures screen. There was text on it but too far to read it from the main road. Also some new ballast seems to have been tipped in a few places Llandudno side of the station, again seen from the road. Not sure if this is from the earlier storm or the latest but I did not recall seeing it earlier this week,

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Dolgarrog now has an electronic departures screen. There was text on it but too far to read it from the main road. Also some new ballast seems to have been tipped in a few places Llandudno side of the station, again seen from the road. Not sure if this is from the earlier storm or the latest but I did not recall seeing it earlier this week,

It's long had one. It was the only thing left after the platform washed away! :D

Parham Wood

It's long had one. It was the only thing left after the platform washed away! :D
Sorry - memory failure! The Conwy was again starting to flood today, the sports fields at Llanrwst flooded and just starting to flow over the Trefriw road but some way to go before reaching any potential damaging level.

Status
Not open for further replies.