• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge - Manchester - Milton Keynes - London - Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly SE Asia, occasionally Central Belt
Hello yall, I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to do this monster of a journey (I have a 16-25 railcard if that affects things):

8 Jun: Cambridge - Manchester (arriving as early as possible)
9 Jun: Manchester - Milton Keynes (late afternoon)
10 Jun (Sat): Milton Keynes - London (morning) + several journeys within London
11 Jun (Sun): several journeys within London, then back to Cambridge in the evening.

An obvious way would be to book a pair of advances for the first two, and then a travelcard for each of the last two days, but I was wondering if it would be possible (and cheaper) to do a Cambridge - Manchester return (and break the journey twice) and use an oyster or a day travelcard for the rest. Of course this brings the whole peak / off peak thing into the equation, so a bit of advice from the experts here would be greatly appreciated - especially (but not limited to):

1. What's the earliest time I can get into Manchester on 8th Jun on an off-peak ticket?
2. The latest time I can depart Manchester on 9th Jun?
3. Any other pitfalls or complications I should take note of?

Many thanks! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
A Railcard Standard Off-Peak Return Cambridge - Manchester route Not Via London costs £55.10. It has restriction code CG.

Restriction Code: CG

OUTWARD and RETURN travel: by any train except those timed to depart Mondays - Fridays after 04:29 and before 09:00.

For travel from/to or via Stevenage, restriction 1L or 9D applies as appropriate to direction of travel.
Therefore the earliest journey opportunity with this ticket on Thursday 8 June is:

• 0901 Cambridge - Peterborough 0950
  • 1016 Peterborough - Doncaster 1109
  • 1142 Doncaster - Manchester Pic 1303.
A Railcard Standard Off-Peak Return Cambridge - Manchester route ✠ Any Permitted costs £68.95. It has restriction code 9I, which has no time restrictions for returning Manchester - London on a Friday afternoon, nor for continuing London - Cambridge on a Sunday. The ticket is also valid for one tube journey from Euston to Liverpool Street or Kings Cross.

To travel outward avoiding London and return via London would cost £55.10, plus half the difference between £68.95 and £55.10, that's a total of £62.05. This allows outward travel on the date shown on the ticket and return travel any day within one month. Within these time limits, unlimited break(s) of journey are allowed.

You need to buy the Not Via London ticket and to excess the return leg only to route ✠ Any Permitted. This must be done at a ticket office. It can't be done online.

I suggest that Oyster or Contactless would be best for travel within the London Zones on Saturday and Sunday (with the exception of the one journey between rail terminals described above).

Last edited:
A Railcard Standard Off-Peak Return Cambridge - Manchester route Not Via London costs £55.10. It has restriction code CG.

Therefore the earliest journey opportunity with this ticket on Thursday 8 June is:

• 0901 Cambridge - Peterborough 0950
  • 1016 Peterborough - Doncaster 1109
  • 1142 Doncaster - Manchester Pic 1303.
A Railcard Standard Off-Peak Return Cambridge - Manchester route ✠ Any Permitted costs £68.95. It has restriction code CG.

It has Restriction Code 9I, which has no time restrictions for returning Manchester - London on a Friday afternoon, nor on continuing London - Cambridge on a Sunday. The ticket is also valid for one tube journey from Euston to Liverpool Street or Kings Cross.

To travel outward avoiding London and return via London would cost £55.10, plus half the difference between £68.95 and £55.10, that's a total of £62.05. This allows outward travel on the date shown on the ticket and return travel any day within one month. Within these time limits, unlimited break(s) of journey are allowed.

You need to buy the Not Via London ticket and to excess the return leg only to route ✠ Any Permitted. This must be done at a ticket office. It can't be done online.

I suggest that Oyster or Contactless would be best for travel within the London Zones on Saturday and Sunday (with the exception of the one journey between rail terminals described above).

Many thanks, very clear and detailed which is precisely what I needed! :)

Veteran Member
The OP wants to be in Manchester as early as possible (I take it without paying Anytime fares!)

Restriction 9I has no outward time limit on the Cambridge-London section (the "Network Rule") so for the extra £6-90 they can catch the first Manchester service after 0926 from Euston, which IIRC is the 0940 due about 1150.

Sorry, I missed a bit. The last train on Friday 9 June is 2115 Manchester Pic - Milton Keynes C 2300.

Thank you! Yeah when I asked that question I was thinking if there were evening peak restrictions but guess not, good to know I'm good for the ticket

The OP wants to be in Manchester as early as possible (I take it without paying Anytime fares!)

Restriction 9I has no outward time limit on the Cambridge-London section (the "Network Rule") so for the extra £6-90 they can catch the first Manchester service after 0926 from Euston, which IIRC is the 0940 due about 1150.

:lol: unfortunately I don't have that much disposable income yet! Yeah I was thinking if there were advances that could save me a bit of cash else the first train I can get with an off-peak ticket - 1150 sounds good, I'll consider that :)

Many thanks to you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.