• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge South new station construction progress.

mr_moo

Has it not already been replaced with a crossover ladder? Appears to do so from Google maps (although the resolution isn't great)
It's definately not a fixed diamond...

P1000429 - Copy_result.jpg
(No, I wasn't trespassing, I'm a rail engineer. I took this whilst working in a possession there)

This weekend was for .Cambridge resignalling. Obviously difficult to run any trains without signalling.

The disruption for the station will overlap with the resignalling disruption to a certain extent, ie two jobs for one set of disruption.

This weekend was for both. Cambridge resignaling (C3R) were doing cabling and signalling works, and the Cambridge South project were doing some of their first works.
There was the partial installation of a UTX just North of Shepreth branch junction, ready for the diversion of the cables when the telecoms node is moved, diggging and installation of the first OLE piles in the station area, a new access point and site compound brought into use, and a whole load of surveys.
I'm sure of this because I was one of the orange-clad people in said possession!

Does anybody have a track diagram to hand?
See page 12 for the existing layout, page 24 for the proposed.

This is from https://gateleyhamer-pi.com/en-gb/csie/inquiry-documents/core-documents/ where you can find loads of info about it.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
It's definately not a fixed diamond...
Cheers for that.
From those drawings that looks like a very substantial lengthening of the turnouts for Shepreth Branch Jn, do you know what the current linespeed is and what it will be after the project?

mr_moo

30mph current, 50mph future. It is indeed quite the extra space. The new Down Royston willl go through the current location of the telecoms node, hence the relocation.

Magdalen Road

Thanks for all the replies, the summary appears to be yes disruption. I guess I'm trying to get an idea of whether it's even more than usual.
Folding bike might be an answer (if I could get one) but my rides are ~70 miles so folders aren't ideal.

Magdalia

Established Member
Indeed @zwk500 describes it better than I do, though I should point out Shepreth Branch Jn, I understand, ceases to become a fixed diamond junction.
Shepreth Branch Junction was relaid twice as part of the original Cambridge Power Signal Box project about 40 years ago. The 40th anniversary of the closure of the old manual signal box is next month.

The diamond crossing was replaced with a temporary single lead layout to allow transfer to Cambridge Power Signal Box and closure of the Shepreth Branch Junction manual signal box. After this had been demolished the tracks were realigned and the up line now goes through where the manual signal box used to be.

From those drawings that looks like a very substantial lengthening of the turnouts for Shepreth Branch Jn, do you know what the current linespeed is and what it will be after the project?

In 1983 Liverpool Street was the express route to/from London, and the branch only had an hourly DMU shuttle to Royston, so the new junction was aligned for 90mph on the Liverpool Street line and 30mph on/off the branch.

For those comparing before and after pictures the fixed point is Websters crossing which did not move.

I haven't found a map of the proposed new Junction layout but here is a verbal description that I have posted before:

Shepreth Branch Junction

5.2.53 At this location works involve the realignment of the existing track at Shepreth Branch Junction to permit the line speed through the junction to be increased from 30mph to 50mph. This requires new track to be constructed to the west of Network Rail’s existing land ownership. Additionally, track realignment of the Royston branch curve is required for these line speed improvements.
5.2.54 These works are required to maintain performance of train services for passengers.
5.2.55 Approximately 30 new portal and single-track cantilever structures will be constructed. Some of these will replace existing structures.
5.2.56 Works may also be required to alter the existing stepped footbridge (ref BGK/1543B) which crosses the WAML and lines at Shepreth Branch Junction to maintain safety for users of the footbridge following any changes to the infrastructure. The exact scope is to be confirmed.
5.2.57 Two private level crossings, namely Websters and Dukes No.2 level crossings, are proposed to be closed and alternative access provided.
5.2.58 An existing GSM-R Mast will need to be relocated to the west side of the railway to allow new track to be installed.

They could at least terminate GN services at Foxton given the presence of a crossover there.
Foxton has no staff, no car park for the buses, a busy level crossing at the London end of the station and no undercover waiting facilities or toilets. It is completely inappropriate as a rail to bus interchange. I have vague recollections of a weekend a few years ago when the (then) hourly stopping services ran through to/from Foxton but it hasn't been repeated.

On the other hand Royston is a staffed station with covered waiting areas, toilets and a big car park.

WA could run to Whittlesford, however they'll probably be cut back to Royston and Bishops Stortford...
I can't recall Whittlesford ever being used as a rail/bus interchange. Although there are crossovers, every train would need to shunt from the down platform to the up platform. Whittlesford has poor access for buses and no step free access between the platforms. GA usually terminate at Audley End, which has a big car park, staff, toilets, lifts and is signalled so that trains can terminate in the up platform. However, weekend just gone looks like it also included engineering work in the Stansted area, the airport branch also being closed.

There was the partial installation of a UTX just North of Shepreth branch junction, ready for the diversion of the cables when the telecoms node is moved, diggging and installation of the first OLE piles in the station area, a new access point and site compound brought into use, and a whole load of surveys.
I'm sure of this because I was one of the orange-clad people in said possession!
What is UTX please, some sort of crossing?

Talking of which, a new crossing was also installed at the new station site, I think where Dukes No 3 crossing used to be. A strip of land in Hobsons Park has now been fenced off and the contractors (Murphys) have a small work base near to the new crossing, plus a bigger collection of cabins near to Addenbrookes bridge.

Thanks for all the replies, the summary appears to be yes disruption. I guess I'm trying to get an idea of whether it's even more than usual.
Folding bike might be an answer (if I could get one) but my rides are ~70 miles so folders aren't ideal.
Perhaps you should cycle between Cambridge and Royston? The A10 has a cycle path for most of the way.

the layout is, in my opinion, rather short sighted.
The original Cambridge South proposals included 4 tracks Cambridge-Shepreth Branch Junction. What we are getting is a more limited enhancement designed to stand on its own without EWR. The bit that mystifies me is not having two separate down tracks from Shepreth Branch Junction into the new station, which requires less than half a mile of additional track on top of the revised plan.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
The original Cambridge South proposals included 4 tracks Cambridge-Shepreth Branch Junction. What we are getting is a more limited enhancement designed to stand on its own without EWR. The bit that mystifies me is not having two separate down tracks from Shepreth Branch Junction into the new station, which requires less than half a mile of additional track on top of the revised plan.
Two more point ends and associated signalling complexity though. I think it is also an oversight, as being able to bring trains into Cambridge south independent of delay would be a big help during disruption.

ashkeba

Established Member
Foxton has no staff, no car park for the buses, a busy level crossing at the London end of the station and no undercover waiting facilities or toilets. It is completely inappropriate as a rail to bus interchange. I have vague recollections of a weekend a few years ago when the (then) hourly stopping services ran through to/from Foxton but it hasn't been repeated.

On the other hand Royston is a staffed station with covered waiting areas, toilets and a big car park.
Royston has poor bus access with no stops, laybys or tuning circle and a twisty road route out. Shepreth is better but requires the car park taken over for bus stops and turning.

Perhaps you should cycle between Cambridge and Royston? The A10 has a cycle path for most of the way.
You first! You'll discover the Royston end is missing and drivers on the A10 behave very poorly.

Magdalia

Established Member
Royston has poor bus access with no stops, laybys or tuning circle and a twisty road route out. Shepreth is better but requires the car park taken over for bus stops and turning.
At Royston the rail replacement buses arrive and depart in the down side car park, which is closed to cars when rail replacement buses are operating. There is plenty of space for the buses to stand and turn, and plenty of space for the passengers to queue. The buses don't go near the "twisty road route" on the up side.

Shepreth does have limited parking/turning space but otherwise has all the disadvantages of Foxton, plus a twisty road through the village to get out onto the A10.

You first! You'll discover the Royston end is missing
I was using the A10 for cycling more than a decade ago. The Melbourn to Royston section is not ideal, but there is a path, though I concede that a lot of care needs to be taken where roads have to be crossed.

On the other hand Cambridge to Foxton has had significant improvement.

Last edited:

mr_moo

Yes indeed disrupton, sorry! There are many stages to go through involving temporary changes to the track alignment as the station is built and various things are moved around, such as signals, OLE masts (there's some temporary ones going in to facilitate staging, plus many removals and replacements with new) and the FTN (Fixed Telecomms Network) node move at Shepreth.
I'll need to check with my team how much I can share publically but will try to give more info soon. As you may have gathered, I am involved with this project, so can offer a few more insights!

Shepreth Branch Junction was relaid twice as part of the original Cambridge Power Signal Box project about 40 years ago. The 40th anniversary of the closure of the old manual signal box is next month.

The diamond crossing was replaced with a temporary single lead layout to allow transfer to Cambridge Power Signal Box and closure of the Shepreth Branch Junction manual signal box. After this had been demolished the tracks were realigned and the up line now goes through where the manual signal box used to be.
Yes, the track components I was looking at had a dates of 1982 (IIRC) on them.

What is UTX please, some sort of crossing?

Talking of which, a new crossing was also installed at the new station site, I think where Dukes No 3 crossing used to be. A strip of land in Hobsons Park has now been fenced off and the contractors (Murphys) have a small work base near to the new crossing, plus a bigger collection of cabins near to Addenbrookes bridge.
Apologies - Under Track Crossing. (Yes, it absolutely should be a UTC but it's not).
We dig a trench under the tracks and lay ducts underneath to allow cables to pass from one side of the railway to the other. Chambers are built on both sides to allow access down to the ducts. The one being built here is to replace the existing one, as the access chamber on the West side is where the new Down Royston will be.

A new RRAP (Road Rail Access Point) was indeed installed too, between the two bridges. This is a temporary access point for construction plant for the project.
The compound will be the main access and work area for the station construction, although the amount of the park that is fenced off will grow yet.

I'll share some photos of the site soon when I have time to process them. Probably worth starting a new thread for construction progress specificlaly really as I'll have plenty more going forward.

ashkeba

Established Member
I was using the A10 for cycling more than a decade ago. The Melbourn to Royston section is not ideal, but there is a path, though I concede that a lot of care needs to be taken where roads have to be crossed.
Only a pavement, not a cycle path, isn't it?

camflyer

I did notice both lines into Cambridge from London were shut this weekend. Should be avoided where possible so one of the lines is always open.

Royston station was chaos on Saturday with the number of people transferring on and off buses. Not ideal that the Liverpool St line was closed at the same time.

ashkeba

Established Member
Royston station was chaos on Saturday with the number of people transferring on and off buses. Not ideal that the Liverpool St line was closed at the same time.
Could the railway provide replacements Huntingdon -Northstowe-Busway-Cambridge North during the Cambridge South works, if the new branch of the busway towards the B1050 is finished soon?

Magdalia

Established Member
Only a pavement, not a cycle path, isn't it?

Yes it’s the Melbourn Greenway cycleway
The Melbourn-Royston section is not a proper cycle way yet. The main obstacle (literally) is crossing the A505 Royston bypass. It doesn't help that the bypass is also the county border.

Could the railway provide replacements Huntingdon -Northstowe-Busway-Cambridge North during the Cambridge South works, if the new branch of the busway towards the B1050 is finished soon?
The current lot are nowhere near as good at rail replacement buses as the days of FCC, who used to run a very slick and properly resourced operation. The closure of the footbridge at Royston can't help either.

Using the busway is an interesting bit of lateral thinking. I suspect that it falls down on availability of guided buses with only Stagecoach and Whippet to go to.

Park47515

The Melbourn-Royston section is not a proper cycle way yet. The main obstacle (literally) is crossing the A505 Royston bypass. It doesn't help that the bypass is also the county border.

The current lot are nowhere near as good at rail replacement buses as the days of FCC, who used to run a very slick and properly resourced operation. The closure of the footbridge at Royston can't help either.

Using the busway is an interesting bit of lateral thinking. I suspect that it falls down on availability of guided buses with only Stagecoach and Whippet to go to.
A bit harsh considering the driver resourcing issues Rail Replacement is facing.

Jammy Dodger

Has the TWAO got any rough idea when the station will be complete? If construction is starting now (ish), I'd assume H2 2024 would be a good aim?

Looks like a rather substantial sized station too, even if it's estimated to be used by ~2m passengers/year.

jfowkes

No real need to use the busway, just go straight down the A14 to Cambridge North surely? The busway doesn't really gain anything beyond potentially skipping some A14/Milton roundabout traffic.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Has the TWAO got any rough idea when the station will be complete? If construction is starting now (ish), I'd assume H2 2024 would be a good aim?

Looks like a rather substantial sized station too, even if it's estimated to be used by ~2m passengers/year.

Despite the TWAO being approved nearly a year later than the original programme expected, that time has not been lost. I’d expect opening at the end of 2025 at the earliest, but more likely the following year. It’s a big job. See Brent Cross West for a similar sized station and infrastructure changes.

alf

On Moderation
Two more point ends and associated signalling complexity though. I think it is also an oversight, as being able to bring trains into Cambridge south independent of delay would be a big help during disruption.
Is this true?
If the Shrepreth down line ran straight to its own platform at Cambridge South & then joined the Liverpool st Line after the platforms there would be no extra point ends.
Just the half mile of independent down track & down trains able to reach Cambridge South at the same time.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is this true?
If the Shrepreth down line ran straight to its own platform at Cambridge South & then joined the Liverpool st Line after the platforms there would be no extra point ends.
Just the half mile of independent down track & down trains able to reach Cambridge South at the same time.
You'd have facing and trailing crossovers to allow trains from either down line to use either platform. No way would you risk the operational pain of an incident in the platform trapping trains on either line. 4 point ends vs 2 in the proposed layout.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is this true?

The layout is as it is so that consecutive trains from either of the two branches can call 2-3 minutes apart. If the lines were independent, they couldn’t do that.

neill

I went for a walk in the country park next to the site today. Here are some photos of the compound and access road.

Attachments

• B077CB66-8458-4290-9A1A-8FE411F33D6A.jpeg
    B077CB66-8458-4290-9A1A-8FE411F33D6A.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 131
  • DA7C08C5-A72B-4846-95DC-4A197AC56097.jpeg
    DA7C08C5-A72B-4846-95DC-4A197AC56097.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 128
  • 6BABF95A-B7FF-44E6-8125-9A97738E085E.jpeg
    6BABF95A-B7FF-44E6-8125-9A97738E085E.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 120
  • 117C425F-FDE8-41F7-BE6F-E0ED53B94987.jpeg
    117C425F-FDE8-41F7-BE6F-E0ED53B94987.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 118
  • 87BD735B-A37C-4446-9E39-4A392A9B124F.jpeg
    87BD735B-A37C-4446-9E39-4A392A9B124F.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 120
  • 1640722C-C1D8-49CD-9491-E1FC8C5AB3E4.jpeg
    1640722C-C1D8-49CD-9491-E1FC8C5AB3E4.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 119
  • 6744D69E-B8C7-47D8-BF5D-F5B3DE12A610.jpeg
    6744D69E-B8C7-47D8-BF5D-F5B3DE12A610.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 132

camflyer

Not like Cambridge council to be wanting more parking. They are usually trying to get rid of it.
Councillors have questioned whether the new Cambridge South Station will have enough space for pick up and drop offs, particularly during busy periods. Network Rail is proposing to include three pick up and drop off spaces, as well as three taxi spaces, and five Blue Badge parking spaces in the forecourt of the new station.

At a meeting of the Cambridge City Council and South Cambridgeshire District Council’s joint development control committee earlier today (Wednesday, February 15), councillors raised concerns that this might not be enough. Permission for the new station next to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus was granted in December.

Jammy Dodger

I went for a walk in the country park next to the site today. Here are some photos of the compound and access road.
Looks like site prep work has begun (access roads, site clearing, etc.). Has the project been given planning approval from the council yet?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looks like site prep work has begun (access roads, site clearing, etc.). Has the project been given planning approval from the council yet?
Deemed planning permission would have been included in the approval by the transport secretary of the transport and works act order (TWAO), this was Dec 2022.