• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a train be First Class for some of its journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdwarr

Yesterday, following a complaint from a passenger with a First Class ticket, Thameslink were tweeting that southbound Sutton Loop services are "First Class until Blackfriars" regardless of what it says in the timetable. Now, I don't particularly want to open that can of worms but it did get me wandering if there are any real cases where a First Class becomes declassified (or reclassified) as a train makes its way on its route.
Could this ever work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
...if there are any real cases where a First Class becomes declassified (or reclassified) as a train makes its way on its route.
Could this ever work?
I'm pretty damned sure that it is done, but I can't think of a route off the top of my head - I think some of the GWR routes out of London are like this.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It was declassified south of Wembley on the Southern MK services, shown on the PIS. But not in the timetable, and I hear the PIS no longer says it either.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Trains can split/join en-route. So first class carriages could be added/detached.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm not sure if there are still through services but previously when any services from south of Inverness continued on the Far North Line there would be no 1st class north of Inverness.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if there are still through services but previously when any services from south of Inverness continued on the Far North Line there would be no 1st class north of Inverness.
Just checked and the 1713 Kyle to Elgin train matches this pattern - standard class only to Inverness with 1st class available on departure from Inverness.

pne

if there are any real cases where a First Class becomes declassified (or reclassified) as a train makes its way on its route.
Could this ever work?

I travelled on such a route in Slovakia once.

It looked as if there were separate trains (they had different service numbers) but on closer look they used the same coaches and you could remain seated in the changeover station. It's just that on the second part (all-Standard) the first class coach was treated as a Standard one.

So that's one way around it: call it two different trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.