• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a train be moved immediately after a SPAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
On LUL passing a lit Rail Gap Indicator is classed as a SPAD.

Not always - only if it's judged that the driver had enough warning to be able to stop. If the indicator became illuminated whilst the train was approaching then the driver is expected to coast past it.

Furthermore, the reliability and sighting of these indicators sometimes leaves a lot to be desired - especially on the lines with older signalling. I'd say more often than not, upon investigation of an alleged SPAD at a rail gap indicator, it turns out the indicator was not illuminated when it should have been, or the sighting was inadequate. Not an ideal state of affairs, although to be fair most section gaps nowadays are 15m so unable to be bridged. Worth remembering if you're on the track and have had traction current taken off though - a reminder as always that traction current discharge on its own is not always a fail-safe means of protection.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Technically events formally known as CAT B, C or D are not SPAD's any more. They were renamed by the RSSB in 2013 following an industry-wide consultation and as part of the wider programme of modernising the Rulebook. When I was a driver, I encountered a fair few SPAR's (where the signal was just put back in my face) for various reasons and after stopping and reporting, I just continued as planned with a a bit of a delay.

I have never known a driver suffering a SPAD (formally a CAT A) to continue with his/her shift. Obviously they would generally move the train to a point where relief / stabling facilities exist rather than just abandon it on a mainline.

Depending on the severity of the SPAD, it could well be the end of his/her's career and it would be constantly "playing on the mind" which could lead to further incident.

Same applies on LUL, the driver should be taken off at the next available crew-relief point, and "stood down" (from driving duties) until the investigation is concluded. They will be asked to submit a "please explain" as soon as possible, and formally interviewed by a trains manager as soon as possible afterwards. If possible this will all be done within the same shift. The manager will investigate all other factors, such as arranging to have the train downloaded, check the signal sighting, and confirm that a SPAD definitely occurred. In some circumstances the driver may be D&A tested prior to interview.

Once all this is done, the driver may be returned to duties if the manager is satisfied that the root cause for the SPAD has been identified beyond all doubt, any issues are suitably addressed, it is confirmed beyond all doubt that the correct follow-up procedures were followed, and provided the driver's safety history is adequate. Whether the driver goes back on the trains at this stage or not, there will then be a follow-up interview carried out by the driver's local depot management, following up on any issues identified in the initial investigation, and agreeing on a way forward. Provided everything adds up, this way forward would normally be an action plan. This might be "suitable advice" confirmed in writing, or some further training.

If the driver has an unsatisfactory history then a "case conference" might be called, where the overall situation will be reviewed and a way forward agreed. Needless to say if correct procedures have not been followed then the disciplinary route is likely.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anonperson

Every time a Driver goes past. If it is obscured in ANY way then it shoul dbe reported.

The worst fog I've been in is not being able to see the signal going past the magnet. The worst snow can get really bad and you can't always see more than a few meters. Never in my experience have trains sopped running due to visibility.

As stated above, it is part of the rule book that you report and signal sighting issue to the controlling signaller and fill in the RT3185 form.

It is also hammered into you that if you are in any way shape or form uncertain of the signal aspect due to visibility issues, then you stop and treat it as on, and contact the controlling signaller, and this includes route indicators.

I have known people have SPADS through foliage waving across yellow aspects leading them to believe they had flashers, rain on signal post platforms shining around the post leading them to assume they had the dots, people thinking feathers were illuminated when in fact it was sunlight making the lenses shine, etc., etc.. There but for the grace of God go us all.

And as for fog, again as said above, I have stood at the post on the ballast and not been able to see the semaphore arm from the ground, let alone from the Loco, a loco's length back from it, but that's what AWS is for, even in fog as thick as last weeks custard if I'd had a nice "PING" at the distant instead of a "WAAHHHHHHHHHHH" it's line speed through the section even though you may as well have your eyes shut. On passenger work I've had to look out of the side to pick up a braking point for a station stop rather than out of the front.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.