• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can and will train seats become comfortable again?

I'm still of the opinion that, for a FLU, the front 3 and rear 3 carriages should have been specced to the first class standard, with the remaining 6 carriages being what is there currently. This has best of both worlds where there is enough decent quality space for those carrying out long journeys, but also meets the crowd guzzling requirement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm still of the opinion that, for a FLU, the front 3 and rear 3 carriages should have been specced to the first class standard, with the remaining 6 carriages being what is there currently. This has best of both worlds where there is enough decent quality space for those carrying out long journeys, but also meets the crowd guzzling requirement.
I doubt that a reduced capacity in each of half the cars would provide the peak capacity or meet the minimal dwell time requirements. The configuration of the class 700s is inextricably bound with the frequency of the services and the mandated flow capacity as determined in the late noughties when the Thameslink rolling stock was specified.

DB_

I like my seats high, upright and fairly hard, though - with plenty of legroom.

As someone with longer legs, I am of a similar opinion, hence I prefer the 80x seats which are slightly firmer with enough legroom to the seats on an XC 220/1 with more padding and not quite enough legroom for me.

AM9

Veteran Member
LUL dwells are shorter despite significantly less space than even the 700 first class layout.
The average travelling time between LU stations is less than two minutes and 80% of their full load is usually crushed around the doors. The comparison with an outer suburban train that reaches 100mph is irrelevant.

AM9

Veteran Member
Thameslink FC is hardly cramped
The trains were specified to meet peak load requirements as predicted when the original tender went out (istr 2009). @ThameslinkUser said:"should have been specced" which would be pointless in 2009 given that the Thameslink Programme was justified based on predicted increases in passenger volumes, (which may yet be realised). If it isn't by 2035 'ish, there may be an opportunity to do such a refit at the mid-life update, but I would'n hold my breath.

The average travelling time between LU stations is less than two minutes and 80% of their full load is usually crushed around the doors. The comparison with an outer suburban train that reaches 100mph is irrelevant.
You were talking about the dwells in the core, not at Brighton.

The trains were specified to meet peak load requirements as predicted
Do you have any documents to suggest that my suggestion would not have reached the requirements at the time?

AM9

Veteran Member
You were talking about the dwells in the core, not at Brighton.

Do you have any documents to suggest that my suggestion would not have reached the requirements at the time?
I'm not sure what Brighton has to do with it. I was posting about dwells on the tube (the clue is in the words "The average travelling time between LUL stations is ...").

Don't understand your second comment.

Last edited:

hypercolius

Recently, I rode a Class 592 in Spain.
It is a noisy, battered-looking and graffiti-d carriage. Inside, the seats are of a comfort I have never experienced in the UK. The EMR Express Sprinter ones do not come close (these are the best in the UK, in my opinion).
Compare that to the typical deal for me in the UK... The only seat worse than a Thameslink one is a seat made out of literal wood in Soviet elektrichkas. Except these actually felt more comfortable.
Similarly, I often get pains (22 years old, note) after sitting in Avanti's refurbished pendolinos. On a 50 minute train ride. In 2022, I took an Alvia train in Spain which ended up getting delayed and stretched into 5 hours. The seat was stellar and comfortable.
Cannot believe this at all. This is an island, it should have the best transport system in the world...

AM9

Veteran Member
How does the average travelling time effect dwells in the core?
The passenger capacity of a route is determined by the capacity of the rolling stock used and the maximum frequency that they can be run. That frequency is determined by the minimum headways that trains can be run, which in turn is subject to suitably short dwell. The interior layout of trains has a major impact on dwell times.
Any concession (of the kind that you wish for) to satisfy the relatively few passengers that travel anywhere near the full route length, (MML or GN), will have an impact on the overall capacity and also dwell times and therefore the route capacity. The trains are currently optimised for much more than the average journey time which I believe is around 20 minutes*.

You will need to ask others here for a definitive figure for that.

The trains are currently optimised for much more than the average journey time which I believe is around 20 minutes*.
The first class layout is more spacious than the layout of LUL trains. LUL trains manage shorter dwells and higher headways. The average journey time does not play an effect on this, although it should be noted that during peak time, the average journey time for all lines except the Victoria and the Waterloo and City would be closer to Thameslink than you imply. The point is moot.

AM9

Veteran Member
The first class layout is more spacious than the layout of LUL trains. LUL trains manage shorter dwells and higher headways. The average journey time does not play an effect on this, although it should be noted that during peak time, the average journey time for all lines except the Victoria and the Waterloo and City would be closer to Thameslink than you imply. The point is moot.
The first class layout is less spacious* than the nearest equivalent the S7/8. Cluttering up a high capacity train with tables and large(r) seats than the minimum is consuming both seating and standing space. The average journey times on many LUL lines are similar to those on TL because most tube lines run only all-station services, whereas TL services are a mixture. Both services run trains with car interiors suitable for their purposes, not requiring any changes.
* per metre car length

physics34

Established Member
Recently, I rode a Class 592 in Spain.
It is a noisy, battered-looking and graffiti-d carriage. Inside, the seats are of a comfort I have never experienced in the UK. The EMR Express Sprinter ones do not come close (these are the best in the UK, in my opinion).
Compare that to the typical deal for me in the UK... The only seat worse than a Thameslink one is a seat made out of literal wood in Soviet elektrichkas. Except these actually felt more comfortable.
Similarly, I often get pains (22 years old, note) after sitting in Avanti's refurbished pendolinos. On a 50 minute train ride. In 2022, I took an Alvia train in Spain which ended up getting delayed and stretched into 5 hours. The seat was stellar and comfortable.
Cannot believe this at all. This is an island, it should have the best transport system in the world...
I also have been on an Alvia train recently and can conform the comfort levels. We just dont seem to have anyone at a high level interested in passenger comfort.

Both services run trains with car interiors suitable for their purposes, not requiring any changes.
But they don't. That's the entire issue. You try commuting on a 700 from Brighton to London. They've been designed for East Croydon and St Albans punters and that's it. No consideration of any kind for customers who travel longer distances (the ones who pay more)

And, of course, that's not to mention their abject failure on luggage for airport punters.

AM9

Veteran Member
But they don't. That's the entire issue. You try commuting on a 700 from Brighton to London. They've been designed for East Croydon and St Albans punters and that's it. No consideration of any kind for customers who travel longer distances (the ones who pay more)

And, of course, that's not to mention their abject failure on luggage for airport punters.
That's your opinion. I'm retired but have travelled from St Albans to Brighton and returned the same day a few times and I find the seating OK for that journey recognising that they are designed to move crowds as well with which I've also travelled quite a few times, typically dropping 500 or so passengers at St Albans with a minimum dwell in order to not dely a fast approaching EMR IC train behind. It's horses for courses and will probably be the same for the next 15 years at least when there might be a mid-life refresh. Meanwhile if the accommodation isn't up to your 'spec', you have the choice of Electrostar luxury.

Wolfie

Established Member
That's your opinion. I'm retired but have travelled from St Albans to Brighton and returned the same day a few times and I find the seating OK for that journey recognising that they are designed to move crowds as well with which I've also travelled quite a few times, typically dropping 500 or so passengers at St Albans with a minimum dwell in order to not dely a fast approaching EMR IC train behind. It's horses for courses and will probably be the same for the next 15 years at least when there might be a mid-life refresh. Meanwhile if the accommodation isn't up to your 'spec', you have the choice of Electrostar luxury.
I've done St Pancras to Brighton return reasonably regular without any issue.

ic31420

The crux of it is for me, how many people don't travel based on the seat, few I'll bet.

I don't particularly like the seats on the pendos. However I don't really consider the seating when deciding if to book or not.

Price is the biggest factor putting me off these days.

takno

Established Member
The crux of it is for me, how many people don't travel based on the seat, few I'll bet.

I don't particularly like the seats on the pendos. However I don't really consider the seating when deciding if to book or not.

I don't ever travel in standard on LNER or GWR - comfort or not I'm not willing to deal with days of back pain following the journey. That used to mean I'd upgrade to first, but now I largely fly instead. (GWR is generally part of a journey from further north)

Lumo and Pendo seats are uncomfortable but don't give me the crippling back pain. It depends on how I feel on the day, but I'd say that means I'm willing to pay a 15-20 quid premium to fly instead.

700 seats are needlessly unpleasant, but don't actively injure me, and the time saved by getting a direct train instead of switching to the underground across London makes it worthwhile.

I think the problem is less that people will rule it out altogether, and more that, thinking about previous journeys, it will feel easier and more natural for them to just go straight to BA/Easyjet instead, or to just rule out public transport and get in the car.

Halwynd

I travelled in a TPE 397 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Blimey, talk about shake, rattle and roll - and with a rock-hard seat to add to the discomfort.

Last year I boarded a TPE 802 at York and felt like I sitting on a park bench. I was contemplating flagging it and waiting for the next 185 when the Guard announced that the train had failed, and so thankfully the decision was made for me.

On the other hand, again, for the first time, I recently travelled on a Northern 331 and thought the seats were not too bad at all.

All subjective of course.

moonarrow458

This whole concept of ohh but the seats are fine for short journeys or ohh its only 20 mins to stand, its a race to the bottom and the car industry is laughing all the way to the bank. Rails biggest competition is the car, the car is percieved to be far more convenient even if rail is sometimes a lot quicker, so if rail wants to compete then rail needs to be more comfortable and ideally cheaper too.

But what this forum keeps throwing up time and time again in these debates is what the purpose of rail is, is it a "social need" that we want to minimise the costs of as much as possible, is it a part of a more sustainable transport future, or is it a cash cow to milked?

I think this country needs to stop taking for granted that people will travel by rail because they have no other option, if the EU can do comfortable train seats so can we, but ppl are too concerned with penny pinching and trying to calculate the minimum comfort ppl will put up with to save a few pennies that they then lose in lost fares to the cars.

And we need to drop this idea that Thameslink is only for short journeys, every day you will have people standing from Three Bridges and posibly further out and vice versa, certainly to Brighton you can have the trains be Full and Standing on Weekends, London to Brighton is not a short journey, its not a short hop like West Hampstead to Hendon. Ppl will be put off by standing all the way to Brighton on their day off and will take the car if they have one the next time.

And for those that get a seat the Thameslink standard seats are hard. Yes commuters may have gotten used to them but that does not make them more comfortable than the modern car seat which is what the train is competing against.
I don't ever travel in standard on LNER or GWR - comfort or not I'm not willing to deal with days of back pain following the journey. That used to mean I'd upgrade to first, but now I largely fly instead. (GWR is generally part of a journey from further.

I think the problem is less that people will rule it out altogether, and more that, thinking about previous journeys, it will feel easier and more natural for them to just go straight to BA/Easyjet instead, or to just rule out public transport and get in the car.
This i think is totally true, i avoid LNER like the plauge unless its an Intercity225 service, Lumo gets my money or the airlines, who very often are cheaper even with the transfer at either end. I will add that Ryanirs seats are not comfirtable but 1 hour on a ryanair plane to Scotland is preferable to 4-5 hours on an LNER azuma standard class with the hideous seats. GWR, they lose my money to national express or SWR. It says a lot when the coach is more attractive comfortwise than the train.

As i say the attitude towards modern train seats in the UK is a race to the bottom

uglymonkey

Surely the next step is moulded plastic seats without any cushions or padding at all. - Save money surely.

AM9

Veteran Member
Surely the next step is moulded plastic seats without any cushions or padding at all. - Save money surely.
Quite common on some very recent continental stock, and not necessarily very short run metro services only.

I don't ever travel in standard on LNER or GWR - comfort or not I'm not willing to deal with days of back pain following the journey. That used to mean I'd upgrade to first, but now I largely fly instead. (GWR is generally part of a journey from further north)

Lumo and Pendo seats are uncomfortable but don't give me the crippling back pain. It depends on how I feel on the day, but I'd say that means I'm willing to pay a 15-20 quid premium to fly instead.

700 seats are needlessly unpleasant, but don't actively injure me, and the time saved by getting a direct train instead of switching to the underground across London makes it worthwhile.

The issue is, 55 miles from central London to Brighton or 30-50 miles beyond Luton is far quicker by train and generally less of a problem than driving. The same destinations back into London is even worse if there's no gauranteed parking. Those here who love to drive will always say that they expect trains to have all the comforts of their own metal box, however, they represent a relatively smallproportionn of potential rail passengers so the fact that road travel is likey to get worse as time goes on means that nothing much needs to change.

I travelled in a TPE 397 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Blimey, talk about shake, rattle and roll - and with a rock-hard seat to add to the discomfort.

Last year I boarded a TPE 802 at York and felt like I sitting on a park bench. I was contemplating flagging it and waiting for the next 185 when the Guard announced that the train had failed, and so thankfully the decision was made for me.

On the other hand, again, for the first time, I recently travelled on a Northern 331 and thought the seats were not too bad at all.

All subjective of course.
The problems that I have experienced with the new classes of CAF MUs is their suspension rather than the seats. The twitchiness of the suspension setup was awful, but even having the benefit of MK1 'spring and horse hair' seat squabs would be uncomfortable because of the jittery ride.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Moulded plastic. Sounds fancy. They'll likely go with wooden boards, and a metal bar to lean back against for safety

GoneSouth

Well at least you’ll be able to easily wipe off the filth left behind by the previous occupant !

Apart from that it sounds awful, like riding on buses in the states or some European metro/trams.

uglymonkey

"Quite common on some very recent continental stock, and not necessarily very short run metro services only." Had some on a "double decker" train into Amsterdam from the airport. They were OK, but not sure how they would be on a long trip - Padd to Penzance for example.

Purple Train

Established Member
My perception of things is that they are getting better with certain of the newest stock - the seats on Greater Anglia stock are excellent (ignoring the width issues on 720s, which I appreciate I am not a competent judge of), and the 196 seat seemed OK when I tried it - at least, compared to the offerings on the other CAF stock on which I have travelled (I have not yet sampled a 197). I would argue that, rather than focusing on the uncomfortable seats (as things seem to have improved since the IET), there is instead a need to focus on other areas of the passengers' experience, such as space, catering, cleanliness, information etc. - as it is in these respects that I have found the railway most deficient recently. I accept, however, that this is merely anecdotal!

Bikeman78

Established Member
The first class layout is more spacious than the layout of LUL trains. LUL trains manage shorter dwells and higher headways.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the south side of the Circle Line from Tower Hill to Gloucester Road is 24 trains per hour. At one point, this was achieved with three types of train (C, D and S stock), all driven manually and with the single leaf doors on the D stock.

The standard class seats in the Belgian class EMUs were pretty much like that. Type Klassiek motorstel interieur in to Google. Didn't put me off; I had 300 of them for haulage over 15 years! By contrast, the first class was basically a sofa.

Last edited:

ic31420

This whole concept of ohh but the seats are fine for short journeys or ohh its only 20 mins to stand, its a race to the bottom and the car industry is laughing all the way to the bank. Rails biggest competition is the car, the car is percieved to be far more convenient even if rail is sometimes a lot quicker, so if rail wants to compete then rail needs to be more comfortable and ideally cheaper too.

But what this forum keeps throwing up time and time again in these debates is what the purpose of rail is, is it a "social need" that we want to minimise the costs of as much as possible, is it a part of a more sustainable transport future, or is it a cash cow to milked?

It's an interesting point with no clear answer. For me rail is trying to be all things to all men. And probably failing at most.

I travel probably 40:60 for work and leisure with work journeys usually being shorter distance.

As a young adult I didn't worry too much about punctuality and was happy to wing it if it went wrong it was part of the adventure. I had a decent disposable income and fares were cheaper and usually it was just me travelling. For a trip to London, or the Mainline cities the train was a no brainer. Costs were often comparable to the car or cheaper once you consider whole. journey costs.

I don't ever recall comfort being a consideration beyond preferring a 158 to a 150/142 on a Doncaster - Manchester trip. If the Pacer turned up, I'd still use it.

I'm now older and have Children and a partner. All of a sudden nipping to York for the day is a bit more challenging. I now need 4 tickets albeit with a rail card, to get a decent price I need to book in advance. But that is often tying or not possible for a spontaneous trip. Tickets, yes come with a seat, but are restrictive in terms of services. I'm nervous of cancellations or missing a train because kids decide they need a wee or whatever kids do. The thing I dont really consider is the seats or even the train type.

The sad fact is that in the last 2 years we have been to York 6 or so times, the car has won out on every occasion, often for cost reason but also flexibility or because of engineering. To show how nuts it is, we've usually parked in the car park at the back or York Station!

My partner is from a "car" family, beyond flying they don't consider public transport. My missus hates the stress of delays, cancellations, booking, restrictive tickets and so on. Never once had she grumbled about the train seats (but she does moan about the seats in my car)

I think this country needs to stop taking for granted that people will travel by rail because they have no other option, if the EU can do comfortable train seats so can we, but ppl are too concerned with penny pinching and trying to calculate the minimum comfort ppl will put up with to save a few pennies that they then lose in lost fares to the cars.

This i think is totally true, i avoid LNER like the plauge unless its an Intercity225 service, Lumo gets my money or the airlines, who very often are cheaper even with the transfer at either end. I will add that Ryanirs seats are not comfirtable but 1 hour on a ryanair plane to Scotland is preferable to 4-5 hours on an LNER azuma standard class with the hideous seats. GWR, they lose my money to national express or SWR. It says a lot when the coach is more attractive comfortwise than the train.

As i say the attitude towards modern train seats in the UK is a race to the bottom

I avoid LNER because of this new ticket policy.