• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I travel by HST to Southampton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cj229202

hey guys am going down to Southampton Central on Saturday, wondering if there is any HSTs going there from Waterloo.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No HSTs do not operate on that route.

tgrb

Could possibly GWR HST from Paddington to Bath then head back to Southampton

If you are travelling London to Southampton, a London Terminals ticket is valid via Paddington to Reading on an HST, then a quick change on to XC and vice versa. Journey times are comparable but you will have to suffer 45 minutes on a Voyager which cancels out the pleasure of the short HST trip in my book. Handy if you are heading to or from West London though and wish to avoid the tube. Beware many services from Paddington are new bi modes, and there are fewer and fewer HSTs on that route.

James Wake

Or get a HST from Paddington to Reading if you time it right, then a Turbo (class 165 probably) down to Basingstoke, then a class 444 (which are really nice EMUs) down to Southampton. The xx49 Weymouth departures from Basingstoke should be 2 5 car 444s making a 10 car set. Maybe something like 0922 Paddington to Reading (if this is a HST), then 1003 to Basingstoke, then 1049 to Southampton Central. There is a Voyager just after the 1003 Reading to Basingstoke which would take you all the way to Southampton. I think the 0922 may be HST because a train works off Old Oak Common this Friday at 2300 ish, does 2330 to Cardiff, ECS to Bristol Platform 8, then ECS to Weston, 0623 Weston to Paddington, then seems to work 0922. Maybe someone can confirm.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Or get a HST from Paddington to Reading if you time it right, then a Turbo (class 165 probably) down to Basingstoke, then a class 444 (which are really nice EMUs) down to Southampton. The xx49 Weymouth departures from Basingstoke should be 2 5 car 444s making a 10 car set. Maybe something like 0922 Paddington to Reading (if this is a HST), then 1003 to Basingstoke, then 1049 to Southampton Central. There is a Voyager just after the 1003 Reading to Basingstoke which would take you all the way to Southampton. I think the 0922 may be HST because a train works off Old Oak Common this Friday at 2300 ish, does 2330 to Cardiff, ECS to Bristol Platform 8, then ECS to Weston, 0623 Weston to Paddington, then seems to work 0922. Maybe someone can confirm.

23:30 to Cardiff last Friday was indeed a HST

Status
Not open for further replies.