• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I travel by train for non essential travel in late July & Onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi, I was booked on a holiday based in Suffolk which is due to start on 31 July, passengers make their own way to Ipswich where the hotel is located and we have days out arranged from there, which do look possible at the moment. The only problem is getting from home to the hotel. This would be deemed as leisure travel. I know that upto now, rail/bus/coach travel has only really been to get to and from work and other essential reasons. However, with the easing of restrictions in England at least from this coming weekend and hotels/pubs reopening, are they now allowing normalish travel on trains? I thought they were.
I have heard that rail staff can question passengers at stations and could refuse them to board trains. Not sure how true this is. Any advice is welcomed, my travel travel plans could extend into August and beyond depending on how things work. I have looked at SWR & GA website, but they do not seem to cover this at the moment. Many thanks, stay safe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
This is permitted.

You are allowed to travel for anything permitted in the legislation by any mode, including public transport, so this will be fine :)

You can go anywhere you want even last month for whatever reason you want. The companies are lying to you.

On Moderation
You can go anywhere you want even last month for whatever reason you want. The companies are lying to you.
The companies are following the advice from the government, which appears to be different from the legislation.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
However, with the easing of restrictions in England at least from this coming weekend and hotels/pubs reopening, are they now allowing normalish travel on trains?

There is no ban on non essential travel. The government advice on public transport usage (in England) can be found here:

route101

Established Member
Yes ,dont understand the Non Essential message now with the Non essential shops opening. I think a fewhave eased the message unlike Northern and Scotrail.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The companies are following the advice from the government, which appears to be different from the legislation.
The advice of the government is merely to consider other modes; first and foremost everyone (including car owners) is asked to walk or cycle if possible.

. This would be deemed as leisure travel.
There is no restriction on (nor definition of) leisure travel now, let alone on 31 July.
I know that upto now, rail/bus/coach travel has only really been to get to and from work and other essential reasons.
That ceased to be the case weeks ago.
However, with the easing of restrictions in England at least from this coming weekend and hotels/pubs reopening, are they now allowing normalish travel on trains? I thought they were.
There are no restrictions at the current time
I have heard that rail staff can question passengers at stations and could refuse them to board trains.
This isn't correct
Not sure how true this is.
During the period where people could only leave their home for certain "essential" reasons, it was true that BTP were asking people for their reason for travel and could refuse travel. But that was many weeks ago now.
Yes ,dont understand the Non Essential message now with the Non essential shops opening. I think a fewhave eased the message unlike Northern and Scotrail.
The legislation/advice may be different in Scotland and we have separate threads for that, but yes Northern are not providing the current Government advice to their customers (many customers have contacted them about this matter but they won't change their message) but in practise there are no issues travelling on Northern, in line with the actual Government advice, and all staff I have encountered have been friendly and professional.

Last edited:

YorksDMU

Well, I’ve completed two journeys to York and two to Hull, from Beverley by train. No problems on any of them. No questions asked or any other obstacles. Only concern being the lack of seats between Beverley and Hull owing there only being one train every two hours. So, as stated, by others, the legislation allows for these journeys as long as you consider those other modes first. I am ignoring the messaging from Northern.

island

Veteran Member
The legislation does not even require you to consider other modes first. That is just guidance.

The only legislation affecting train journeys in England is that you cannot gather in a group of more than six people and you must wear a face covering unless exempt for one of the various reasons.

island

Veteran Member
I have no particular knowledge about staff travel so will defer to others.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So I can use my staff travel ?
Just asking the question
Some train companies appear to be restricting the use of travel facilities, though it's unclear if they are allowed to do this in the case of Safeguarded pass holders; see:

Status
Not open for further replies.