• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can rescue locomotives push the trains they're rescuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroman62

On 10 October, at around 2pm, I believe I saw a red class 67 on the "London" end of an LNER train in platform 6 at Leeds. i believe 91105 was at the buffers and the class 67 was attached to the dvt at the other end. If what I saw was correct, I was puzzled by the composition of the train. If the class 67 had rescued the failed train, then would it have pushed it into Leeds? If so, I was curious to know how this was done. Perhaps the train had failed in the platform and the loco had arrived to tow it away. If that was the case I wonder if it towed it back to the depot in London or took a circuitous route to Neville Hill. Of course it may be nothing as above, but I was puzzled.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaun_92

The 67 had come form Doncaster as 0Z99 1243 Doncaster West Yard to Leeds
and was taking the failed set back to Bounds Green as 5G29 143 Leeds to Bounds Green T&R.S.M.D, the failed train was 1A29 1215 Leeds to London Kings Cross.

Kneedown

Established Member
Back in the 90's I was taking a 58 light engine from Saltley to Toton one sunny afternoon. I ended up pushing (assisting in rear) a passenger service as far as Derby after the 47 went "POP" at Tamworth.

najaB

Veteran Member
If the class 67 had rescued the failed train, then would it have pushed it into Leeds? If so, I was curious to know how this was done.
Yes, assistance from the rear is common and well within the rules. Communication is normally by radio between the driver in the front cab and the driver in the assisting loco.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A pushing locomotive.
Sorry I can't see anything other than "a pushing locomotive"; looks like there is a video being blocked. Are you able to provide a text alternative please? Thanks :)

Edit: I am on WiFi and not everyone can see videos, e.g. our blind members or anyone whose internet access is being restricted, so for accessibility reasons we do ask that a text alternative (description/quote/summary as appropriate) is given, many thanks for your understanding :)

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Sorry I can't see anything other than "a pushing locomotive"; looks like there is a video being blocked. Are you able to provide a text alternative please? Thanks :)
The video loads for me - it's the famous incident where a Class 59 assists a HST from the rear while also hauling loaded hoppers.

Clip

Established Member

Works fine this end - its the video of a HST being pushed along. Been posted a few times

Oscar46016

Years ago there used to be a pair or 37s that provided assistance up the lickey incline - always pushing

trainmania100

Established Member
On a trip back from Weymouth, I recall a 33 giving us a good shove from behind up a hill, I guess they can push from behind yes

furnessvale

Established Member
Unless the rules have changed, I have seen a failed class 50 with 12 coaches being assisted in rear by 2 x class 50s with 12 more coaches, both with passengers on board and at nearly line speed. This was approaching Tebay.

I have also seen 3 x 3 car BRCW units with passengers, banking a stalled steam hauled freight out of the old platform 1 at Preston. Passengers were leaning out of the droplights cheering!

Status
Not open for further replies.