• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can Train Drivers impose their own speed restrictions?

Tomnick

Established Member
The Railway Group Standard GKRT0075 states that the signalling braking distance is the distance between the signal exhibiting the first caution aspect and the signal at which the train is required to stop.
An important distinction – it's calculated from the signal itself, not from when it first becomes visible. There shouldn't be any need to reduce speed specially for reduced signal sighting.
I remember passing a steam special in Cowburn Tunnel. The driver was most put out because his cab immediately filled with smoke as he had the window open and I had several panicked passengers banging on my door within seconds because the air conditioning had drawn the smoke into the saloon too - oops!
The problem, of course, is that in a dark tunnel you don't necessarily know what you're about to pass until it's too late!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tester

An important distinction – it's calculated from the signal itself, not from when it first becomes visible. There shouldn't be any need to reduce speed specially for reduced signal sighting.
I can confirm this. We consider braking distance 'post to post'.

I remember being told in the early 1970s that sighting distance had been taken into account in the past, but no longer.

jamesst

I can confirm this. We consider braking distance 'post to post'.

I remember being told in the early 1970s that sighting distance had been taken into account in the past, but no longer.
I'd like to agree but it would be very very close if you didn't brake until going past the cautionary aspect at some of the signals on our network.

Efini92

Established Member
I'd like to agree but it would be very very close if you didn't brake until going past the cautionary aspect at some of the signals on our network.
Agreed. The 3 state banner at wolverton on the up fast has helped massively.

NI 271

"Route knowledge, route knowledge, route knowledge". The three most important things for any driver.

We've all got loads of signals where you can leave it ages, and probably just as many when you need to get it in good and early. Knowing those (especially in poor visibility) is what they pay us for. I know one distant where if I shove it in initial at 60, I'll pass the first stop signal at 55. Even in good visibility, if that one's on, I don't try and test myself there.