• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you travel from Lands End to John O Groats entirely on bus vehicles (not coach vehicles)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
You can also get Saltash-Coventry by Stagecoach
2/2A Saltash-Plymouth
FALCON Plymouth - Bristol
62 Bristol - Dursley
61 Dursley - Stroud
52 Stroud - Cirencester
51 Cirencester - Swindon
S6 Swindon - Oxford
S4 Oxford - Banbury
200 Banbury - Daventry
D1/D2 Daventry - Rugby
86 Rugby - Coventry

If you count Megabus as Stagecoach, then you can do Coventry-Liverpool and link up to get Saltash to John O'Groats by Stagecoach only, which is pretty impressive!

The Falcon is cheating a bit, being mostly motorway/bye pass coach service not sure if ENCTS passes are valid on the Falcon either, the idea is to use normal bus services were possible, my rules would be services were concessionary passes are allowed, Megabus would be out

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

Surely Saltash/Bude to Kings Lynn would be a lot farther in the west to east direction.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There is a quicker option: from Aberdeen, you can get the 35 to Elgin. Allocated with ADL Enviro400 MMCs

However at the time of posting (almost a year ago) the 35 was still being operated by Panthers and the new E400MMCs hadn't been confirmed.
Unfortunately when you get to Elgin, there's still no guarantee that you'll get a bus on the 10. Even on the half-hourly short workings I've seen the occasional Panther substituted.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Falcon is cheating a bit, being mostly motorway/bye pass coach service not sure if ENCTS passes are valid on the Falcon either, the idea is to use normal bus services were possible, my rules would be services were concessionary passes are allowed, Megabus would be out
Concessionary pass holders get one third off the normal fare, so they're not allowed to be used in the normal way.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
If I was to do this, I would only count coaches where there is no other choice than a coach (for example after Tain).

Basically try to use a bus wherever possible.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
And I would be filiming full route visuals (timelapsing in other words) of all routes I do from Lands End to John O Groats lol

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’d definitely take a couple of good books.

padbus

Concessionary pass holders get one third off the normal fare, so they're not allowed to be used in the normal way.
English concessionary passes are valid on the Falcon between Plymouth and Cullompton and between Taunton and Bristol (subject to local time restrictions). Last time I travelled on it between Exeter and Bristol the fare was £10.30 return. I didn't need to show or scan my pass but I do look over 60 these days.

56131 EllColl

Stagecoach only variation with 42mile gap Wrexham-Newtown. There is service 5 Chester-Wrexham. Going south to Bristol for the Falcon and Saltash connecting bus leaving 80miles to Lands End. Use T4 Newtown-Brecon, X43 Brecon-Abergavenny, X20 Abergavenny-Newport, SEV Newport-Bristol.

Bungle158

For the South West leg, perhaps...

Lands End to Penzance A1 First Kernow
Penzance to Truro T1 First Kernow
Truro to Bodmin 27 First Kernow
Bodmin to Plymouth. 11/11A Plymouth City Bus
Plymouth to Exeter X38 Stagecoach
Exeter to Axminster 4B Stagecoach
Axminster to Taunton 30 First Somerset
Taunton to Burnham 21 First Somerset
Burnham to Bristol 20 First Bristol

Could be fun if you have time to spare

LAIRA

E="Bungle158, post: 4298481, member: 71365"]For the South West leg, perhaps...

Could be fun if you have time to spare[/QUOTE
Not sure if it can still be done but from Axminster you could go to
Dorchester
Blandford
Salisbury
Swindon
Oxford
Milton Keynes
Leicester
Sheffield
Doncaster
York
Darlington
Durham
Newcastle
Berwick

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Studying on bustimes.org, Lands End to John O Groats is possible entirely on bus vehicles. Scania Enviro300s are becoming a common sight on the X98 (they tend to do the 08:55 journey out of Inverness arriving Thurso at around 13:00). That's right, a bus with no toilets on a limited stop 4 hour long route that is a good 100 miles in total distance.

Now, a journey allocated with Scania Enviro300s on the X98 is a stupid idea. The X98 in my opinion should be coaches only. Not only the route is very suitable for coaches (it's a 4 hour limited stop route), but with such a long 4 hour limited stop journey you'd want to have a comfortable coach with a toilet. The Scania E300s in my opinion should do the very local short routes like the 62/62D, 66, 80, 82 etc. (where a coach is not needed for such a short route). These are my opinions btw, but whoever is saying the X98/X99 should be coaches only I fully agree.

I think the X98/X99 should get B11RLE Plaxton Panoramas (like Glasgow X76) or Van Hool Astromegas (like the Oxford Tube), because not only you have a toilet with luxury coach seats, but then you can enjoy the beautiful scenery the Scottish Highlands has to offer, especially north of Inverness. The only issue with that, of course, is the luggage space (as the Panorama is a double decker coach so there is likely to be limited luggage space).

But basically, after Inverness, you can get the 08:55 X98 to Thurso, arriving there at around 13:00. According to bustimes.org, it appears to be allocated with Scania Enviro300s.
Then from Thurso, you can get the 80 to John O Groats (also allocated with Enviro300s, but with ADL E30D chassis instead of Scania chassis).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Studying on bustimes.org, Lands End to John O Groats is possible entirely on bus vehicles. Scania Enviro300s are becoming a common sight on the X98 (they tend to do the 08:55 journey out of Inverness arriving Thurso at around 13:00). That's right, a bus with no toilets on a limited stop 4 hour long route that is a good 100 miles in total distance.

Now, a journey allocated with Scania Enviro300s on the X98 is a stupid idea. The X98 in my opinion should be coaches only. Not only the route is very suitable for coaches (it's a 4 hour limited stop route), but with such a long 4 hour limited stop journey you'd want to have a comfortable coach with a toilet. The Scania E300s in my opinion should do the very local short routes like the 62/62D, 66, 80, 82 etc. (where a coach is not needed for such a short route). These are my opinions btw, but whoever is saying the X98/X99 should be coaches only I fully agree.

I think the X98/X99 should get B11RLE Plaxton Panoramas (like Glasgow X76) or Van Hool Astromegas (like the Oxford Tube), because not only you have a toilet with luxury coach seats, but then you can enjoy the beautiful scenery the Scottish Highlands has to offer, especially north of Inverness. The only issue with that, of course, is the luggage space (as the Panorama is a double decker coach so there is likely to be limited luggage space).

But basically, after Inverness, you can get the 08:55 X98 to Thurso, arriving there at around 13:00. According to bustimes.org, it appears to be allocated with Scania Enviro300s.
Then from Thurso, you can get the 80 to John O Groats (also allocated with Enviro300s, but with ADL E30D chassis instead of Scania chassis).

It's not becoming "increasingly common", The duty is only being covered by a Scania due to a vehicle shortage, the duty is booked as one of the B12B/Panthers, however 3 of them are VOR atm, hence the allocation of the Scania. They allow for a toilet break at Dornoch where the drivers normally swap buses, even then if you asked at any other of the villages (Tain for example) if you could quickly nip in to the toilet the driver would have no problem waiting. Panoramas and Astromegas are not suitable for the service as the luggage capacity is too poor (hence why it's allocated Interdecks) additionally they (along with the Interdecks) are not suitable for operation in high winds. The service barely breaks even so you can scrap the idea of new vehicles.

If they were to get newer vehicles for the service then the B13R/Panthers currently on the Glasgow - Edinburgh Service would be the most suitable as these meet all the service requirements, however at the moment there's no plans to change or update the fleet.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
It's not becoming "increasingly common", The duty is only being covered by a Scania due to a vehicle shortage, the duty is booked as one of the B12B/Panthers, however 3 of them are VOR atm, hence the allocation of the Scania. They allow for a toilet break at Dornoch where the drivers normally swap buses, even then if you asked at any other of the villages (Tain for example) if you could quickly nip in to the toilet the driver would have no problem waiting. Panoramas and Astromegas are not suitable for the service as the luggage capacity is too poor (hence why it's allocated Interdecks) additionally they (along with the Interdecks) are not suitable for operation in high winds. The service barely breaks even so you can scrap the idea of new vehicles.

If they were to get newer vehicles for the service then the B13R/Panthers currently on the Glasgow - Edinburgh Service would be the most suitable as these meet all the service requirements, however at the moment there's no plans to change or update the fleet.

Oh right. My idea of double decker coaches on the X98/X99 was only because of the beautiful, stunning scenery north of Inverness. But I was aware that luggage space could be potentially a problem, especially for a very long route that 100% suits real, proper coaches (No, I'm not talking about Panther LEs, I'm talking about fully high floor traditional coaches) and that it can take even up to 5 hours to complete the whole route end to end. And that they are the only two routes that provide proper links between the very north and Inverness, as well as the train. (Tbf, I think there should be a Scottish Citylink route from Thurso to Glasgow or Edinburgh if there is enough demand lol, especially in the Summer when there are a lot of tourists). And not just the scenary, also the X98/X99 could potentially be very busy coach services in the summer.

Btw, what route is the one from Glasgow to Edinburgh currently allocated with B13Rs?

Also, some Scanias were temporarily transferred to Caithness, these being 28601 and 28603 with E30D 27796 and 27631 going to Inverness. Why? Vehicle shortage?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
English concessionary passes are valid on the Falcon between Plymouth and Cullompton and between Taunton and Bristol (subject to local time restrictions). Last time I travelled on it between Exeter and Bristol the fare was £10.30 return. I didn't need to show or scan my pass but I do look over 60 these days.
I'm quoting from Stagecoach's website - Taunton to Bristol, return price £8.20, concessionary return £5.10, defining this as applying to over 60s. There is no mention of ECNTS passes being valid in the normal way (i.e. for free travel) on any section of the route.

padbus

I'm quoting from Stagecoach's website - Taunton to Bristol, return price £8.20, concessionary return £5.10, defining this as applying to over 60s. There is no mention of ECNTS passes being valid in the normal way (i.e. for free travel) on any section of the route.
I travelled from Exeter to Plymouth and back on Tuesday using my ENCTS pass. There is, of course, a difference between being over 60 and actually having an ENCTS pass or, indeed, being eligible for one.

See https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/fly-the-south-west-falcon/sw-falcon-faqs where it says
English concessionary passes are now valid for free travel on Falcon services between Plymouth and Cullompton and between Taunton and Bristol, subject to local time restrictions. For any other journeys, you can get a 1/3 off adult single and return fares. This is available at any time.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Oh right. My idea of double decker coaches on the X98/X99 was only because of the beautiful, stunning scenery north of Inverness. But I was aware that luggage space could be potentially a problem, especially for a very long route that 100% suits real, proper coaches (No, I'm not talking about Panther LEs, I'm talking about fully high floor traditional coaches) and that it can take even up to 5 hours to complete the whole route end to end. And that they are the only two routes that provide proper links between the very north and Inverness, as well as the train. (Tbf, I think there should be a Scottish Citylink route from Thurso to Glasgow or Edinburgh if there is enough demand lol, especially in the Summer when there are a lot of tourists). And not just the scenary, also the X98/X99 could potentially be very busy coach services in the summer.

Btw, what route is the one from Glasgow to Edinburgh currently allocated with B13Rs?

Also, some Scanias were temporarily transferred to Caithness, these being 28601 and 28603 with E30D 27796 and 27631 going to Inverness. Why? Vehicle shortage?

Yeah i can see your point about the Panoramas and i would agree they'd be nice, it's just at an operational perspective they present some issues. The X98/X99 are well used however the low frequency and long nature of the service makes it not that profitable, if Stagecoach were to loose their School work and Dounreay Shuttle contracts they'd likely pull out of Caithness as nothing makes any real money besides those.

Edinburgh - Glasgow service is the 900. No Scania's have transferred, Inverness & Tain have some runs on the X98/X99.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Yeah i can see your point about the Panoramas and i would agree they'd be nice, it's just at an operational perspective they present some issues. The X98/X99 are well used however the low frequency and long nature of the service makes it not that profitable, if Stagecoach were to loose their School work and Dounreay Shuttle contracts they'd likely pull out of Caithness as nothing makes any real money besides those.

Edinburgh - Glasgow service is the 900. No Scania's have transferred, Inverness & Tain have some runs on the X98/X99.

Well 28603 is apparently on the 80 from Thurso to John O Groats today, that's why I would have thought that the Scanias were transferred to Caithness.
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/36660?date=2019-11-22

iantherev

Stagecoach only variation with 42mile gap Wrexham-Newtown. There is service 5 Chester-Wrexham. Going south to Bristol for the Falcon and Saltash connecting bus leaving 80miles to Lands End. Use T4 Newtown-Brecon, X43 Brecon-Abergavenny, X20 Abergavenny-Newport, SEV Newport-Bristol.

You’ll have a long wait in Abergavenny for an X20 or a bus to Newport for that matter. Try X3 to Pontypool or Cwmbran then X24.

iantherev

Better keep quiet about what turns up on the T4 Newtown - Cardiff then.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Better keep quiet about what turns up on the T4 Newtown - Cardiff then.

As much as I love B8RLE Evoras, the T4 isn't really suitable for low floor buses. To me it looks like another very long (And limited stop too!) route.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
If these were ever available in UK version, the T4 could get Mercedes Integros, Intouros, Setra S415ULs or Iveco Crossway 12 Line HDs.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I travelled from Exeter to Plymouth and back on Tuesday using my ENCTS pass. There is, of course, a difference between being over 60 and actually having an ENCTS pass or, indeed, being eligible for one.

See https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/fly-the-south-west-falcon/sw-falcon-faqs where it says
Interesting! I typed in Stagecoach Falcon fares, and three Stagecoach sites appeared: the first was exactly as above but lacked the -faqs bit in the address. None of them stated that the ENCTS pass was available: the first one did say that over 60s and concessionary pass holders were entitled to a third off fares. It appears that Stagecoach are being as obfuscatory with this as any TOC trying to hide their cheapest fares! Even so, the point still stands that the journey originally quoted for the purposes of the thread can't be made in its entirety on a service bus. Also, I wonder how many Falcon drivers would deny the existence of the free concession when it came to it, judging by many previous posts about experience with rover tickets.

arbeia

E="Bungle158, post: 4298481, member: 71365"]For the South West leg, perhaps...

Could be fun if you have time to spare[/QUOTE
Not sure if it can still be done but from Axminster you could go to
Dorchester
Blandford
Salisbury
Swindon
Oxford
Milton Keynes
Leicester
Sheffield
Doncaster
York
Darlington
Durham
Newcastle
Berwick
Interesting, but what service bus goes York to Darlington?

darloscott

There isn't one, you'd have to change in Thirsk (or Ripon) and Northallerton.
Equally you can't do Doncaster to York you'd have to either go via Selby or run from Sheffield via Barnsley and Leeds to York.

padbus

Interesting! I typed in Stagecoach Falcon fares, and three Stagecoach sites appeared: the first was exactly as above but lacked the -faqs bit in the address. None of them stated that the ENCTS pass was available: the first one did say that over 60s and concessionary pass holders were entitled to a third off fares. It appears that Stagecoach are being as obfuscatory with this as any TOC trying to hide their cheapest fares! Even so, the point still stands that the journey originally quoted for the purposes of the thread can't be made in its entirety on a service bus. Also, I wonder how many Falcon drivers would deny the existence of the free concession when it came to it, judging by many previous posts about experience with rover tickets.
The Stagecoach website has a well deserved reputation for being poorly designed and difficult to extract information from. The Falcon sees quite a bit of short distance local traffic, both in Devon and on the A38 between the M5 and Bristol. The drivers are well aware of ENCTS validity and will enquire where you are travelling to ensure you don't travel beyond the limits of the pass. I agree that the service doesn't fall with the tight limits of this thread.

bobslack1982

There was an X4/X5 that were two separate services, one from Bishop Auckland and the other from Easington Village to Leeds back in the late 90s / early 00s that ran once a week (I think) and was operated by Arriva. It was an Optare Delta with coach seats the day I used it once from Durham to Leeds. Basically followed the A167 to Thirsk then the A19 and via Easingwold and York into Leeds.

Doesn’t run anymore though and I can’t find the old timetables online either.

Status
Not open for further replies.