• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Canonbury Station Contrasts 1982's - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple simon

Many different trains at Canonbury railway station, as filmed between the mid 1980's and 2018.

This was the time when diesel multiple units operated the Crosstown Linkline service Camden Road - Stratford - North Woolwich, Class 313 trains ran between Watford Junction and either Broad Street or Liverpool Street stations (travelling via Primrose Hill station) and both Class 501 and Class 416 2EPB trains ran on the North London Line.

As the vintage film is silent there is background music, plus for the still image photographs a Class 117 diesel train is heard calling at Ealing Broadway - this demonstrates what the diesel trains seen in this film would have sounded like.

In all about 4 minutes 45 seconds of vintage 1980's footage. Apologies at times the footage is a little unsteady, the bright sun gets in the way and near the edits the film is dusty.

This film also includes London Overground Class 378 Capitalstar trains and a few freight / goods trains.

At the very end the 2018 footage shows some accessibility humps (Harington Hump?)

I do not remember exactly when I filmed this but seeing trains in Network SouthEast livery suggests that it was after 1986, although I thought that the Class 501's were withdrawn before then!

The digital footage (still images, SD video in 2011, HD video in 2014 & 2018) is easy to tell the date it was filmed as footage includes the 'created' date.

EDIT TO ADD: (a few weeks later) It has now been realised that this *was* filmed on at least *two*different*days*. The Class 416 and 313 were filmed after the platform lights had been repainted from white to red!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
The unit at 2:35 seems to have the wrong kind of headcode box (well it doesn't have a headcode box) to be a 117. But equally you wouldn't see a 116 in the London area so I'm not sure what's going on there.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
The unit at 2:35 seems to have the wrong kind of headcode box (well it doesn't have a headcode box) to be a 117. But equally you wouldn't see a 116 in the London area so I'm not sure what's going on there.
Agree that's not a 117.
But Cricklewood had some 116s allocated, seen on Moorgate services pre-electrification (1982), and also on Gospel Oak-Barking.
I seem to recall Reading might have had a few too at some point.
Also not a 115 from Marylebone or a 127, as those had 4-character headcode panels too.

simple simon

Agree that's not a 117.
But Cricklewood had some 116s allocated, seen on Moorgate services pre-electrification (1982), and also on Gospel Oak-Barking.
I seem to recall Reading might have had a few too at some point.
Also not a 115 from Marylebone or a 127, as those had 4-character headcode panels too.

A comment I saw on Flickr talked about 3 carriage 'pressed steel' trains, but did not quote a Class number.

Status
Not open for further replies.